Freshman in NKY

Doing a spin-off of an earlier thread that talked about Freshman teams. Some were commenting on the players themselves. I have noticed that NKY varsity teams are loaded with talented 8th/fresh/soph players. Don't know why and if the rest of the state is the same, but it would appear that this bodes well for the future of NKY. Maybe a state title in the not too distant future.

Doing a spin-off of an earlier thread that talked about Freshman teams. Some were commenting on the players themselves. I have noticed that NKY varsity teams are loaded with talented 8th/fresh/soph players. Don't know why and if the rest of the state is the same, but it would appear that this bodes well for the future of NKY. Maybe a state title in the not too distant future.

Dare to dream, the Louisville and Lexington areas just have the population on their side and combine that with the capacity of private schools to attract talent and an NKY title is pretty remote. It would be nice though.

Got to see Ryle earlier this year. Jump, Crittendon and Moss (Freshman & two 8th graders). I'm sure they have others as well. Could be real strong in years to come.

NCC with Sandfoss & Cundiff (sophomores) play well together. (Sandfoss might be best I've seen this year).

Highlands with Allen (sophomore) and others that I'm not that familiar with with, play great defense.

These are just some that I've seen play that have young teams.

Walton-Verona's freshman team went undefeated.

Played mostly with 7th and 8th graders. Dixon

is a freshman starts varsity and Ginn and

Cheeseman 8th graders played up as well.

Wins over Highlands and St.Henry. Would

of liked to see a game with Ryle

Ryle was heads and shoulders the best frosh team in NKY. WV had a very nice team. Don't know if it would have mad a difference, but Highlands was down 3 players and their coach the night they went down to Walton.

Carroll County Freshman team..I know we usually do not include them with NKY but they have no home so I will. They won the 31st District championship 2 years in a row. (one year as 8th graders the next year as freshman) They have a good core of Freshman and some strong 8th graders. One Freshman starts Varsity and both an 8th grader and another Fresh see significant Varsity playing time.

I think there are some very talented young girls in the area this year. I wish I had the opportunity to see more of the games. I am defintely looking forward to watching all of these teams in the coming years, It should be very good basketball.

Ryle was heads and shoulders the best frosh team in NKY. WV had a very nice team. Don't know if it would have mad a difference, but Highlands was down 3 players and their coach the night they went down to Walton.

"Ryle was heads and shoulders the best frosh team in NKY" ????? Watched many girls freshman games, including St. Henry freshman beating Ryle @ Ryle earlier this year..... I would say Walton stands out, especially when you consider the age/grade of the majority of their players. If Ryle had moved 8th graders to Frosh team, opposed to Varsity, yes they would have been head and shoulers better.... Got to believe Ryle and Walton are going to dominate girls basketball in NKY in future years.

"Ryle was heads and shoulders the best frosh team in NKY" ????? Watched many girls freshman games, including St. Henry freshman beating Ryle @ Ryle earlier this year..... I would say Walton stands out, especially when you consider the age/grade of the majority of their players. If Ryle had moved 8th graders to Frosh team, opposed to Varsity, yes they would have been head and shoulers better.... Got to believe Ryle and Walton are going to dominate girls basketball in NKY in future years.

Go ahead and base your assessment on one game. I will base mine on a whole season. Ryle wins the 2 biggest tournaments this year. They were the best team this year. As always in girls bball it is very hard to predict the future. Girls quit, they transfer, some are already physically mature as 8th graders. If I had to pick a team of the future, I'd go with Conner.

Go ahead and base your assessment on one game. I will base mine on a whole season. Ryle wins the 2 biggest tournaments this year. They were the best team this year. As always in girls bball it is very hard to predict the future. Girls quit, they transfer, some are already physically mature as 8th graders. If I had to pick a team of the future, I'd go with Conner.

No argument that Ryle was one of the better freshman teams, perhaps the best freshman team..... Can't agree that they were "heads and shoulders better" or a dominate team. By the way, that assessment is based on the 3 Ryle games I attended, not 1 game.

No argument that Ryle was one of the better freshman teams, perhaps the best freshman team..... Can't agree that they were "heads and shoulders better" or a dominate team. By the way, that assessment is based on the 3 Ryle games I attended, not 1 game.

I'll agree. I have seen every freshman girls team in NKY this year, some more than once, and I just don't think night in and night out anyone is better than Ryle.

Some teams will have strong guards, but no post play. Some will have strong inside play, but no guards to get it down the floor conststently.

This makes for good conversation; however, the success of a freshmen team is no way indicative of future success at the varsity level.

Tansfers in, transfers out, and kids that decide to focus on other things/sports will always impact programs almost each and every year. Not to mention, many kids will not put the time and effort into the off-season to continue to develop their game.

Some teams will have strong guards, but no post play. Some will have strong inside play, but no guards to get it down the floor conststently.

This makes for good conversation; however, the success of a freshmen team is no way indicative of future success at the varsity level.

Tansfers in, transfers out, and kids that decide to focus on other things/sports will always impact programs almost each and every year. Not to mention, many kids will not put the time and effort into the off-season to continue to develop their game.

You are so right, I have seen this happen so many times..

Every year we go from 12 kids playing in the 8th grade to maybe 5-6 Freshman and the numbers continue to drop every year. It is a huge committment and if the girls do not see a quick Varsity future many of them quit.

I seen the WV girls play at Simon Kenton and thought they done a really good job. If you put those two freshman along with Dixon (another freshman) and the two eight graders that already play up and the quality of good players under them I think they will be hard to beat in the upcoming/near future.