Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

McCreary Central 100 Whitley County 53

Featured Replies

You are right, but those kids played as subs in the meat of the game, and to be honest it is not entirley accurate, but hey the game is over and I don't think McCreary will have to worry about a return trip to Whitley as I don't see them playing in the future.

 

If Rob was not letting the crowd run the team how come he spent so much time looking up at them. Oh yeah and High fiving a kid who just got a technical foul for a head but, real class.

 

Kudos to Coach Baker and company for acting like sportsmen and not reataliating.

:argue:

 

Its ok for Whitley Co. to beat Jellico 80 to 36 (2004-2005). I do see anyone crying on here from Jellico.

 

I agree with no return trip. The coaching staff from Whitley will show some real class and maybe play Jellico twice.

 

McCreary beat Whitley last season, beat them again this season, so I understand why they wouldn't want to play the Raiders again.

 

 

Kudos to Baker and Company for acting like sportsmen. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

they statement should be on David Letterman.:ylsuper:

  • Replies 55
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who did he come in to shoot free throws for and what was the circumstances of this. Did someone get hurt?

This game was never in doubt. The Raiders led 50-12 at halftime. Watts didn't have his usual shooting game, but he got the points in the paint. Adam Swiger had a big night, going 4-5 beyond the arc in the first half.

 

Now, I need to get this out of the way:

 

The Raiders led about 92-45 with about a minute and a half remaining. The fans and players for McCreary were so anxious to get to the 100 point mark that every score from 87+ was met with huge cheers. However, with 1:20 to go in the fourth and Whitley with the ball, they decided to hold the ball for the last 1:20 and not let McCreary score 100 on them. So with the fans booing because of their act, Rob Jones told McCreary to foul. McCreary did so and was able to get the ball back and score enough times to get to 100. However, I listened to the coach for Whitley talk about how disrespectful McCreary was in their attempt (and success) of getting 100 points, calling the Raiders' coaching staff "classless." This is the same coach that attempted to hold the ball over a minute so McCreary couldn't put points on the board in a game not in doubt and a coach that pressed McCreary on their inbounds after the foul because of his displeasure. Coach Jones wasn't running up the score to embarrass anyone. If McCreary would have had 75 points, the fans, coaches, and players would have had no problem with Whitley holding the ball, but everyone inside the gym, besides Whitley County and the refs, wanted McCreary to get to 100 points for the first time this season. McCreary didn't continue to keep the stars in the entire game - they actually played 9 guys in the first quarter.

 

I do have to applaud the Whitley players. They played hard especially in the second half. They could have been down after only putting up 12 and being down 38 at half, but the really put a good show on in the second half.

 

Wow, and Les picked the Colonels by 3.

 

SSF the above was your first quote in this thread. After this one you backtracked and said several times that Jones did not take the crowd into account. But when I went back and reread the thread the bolded quote really stood out--it sounds like you really did believe that he did it at least partly because of the crowd. I know that you feel like the other coach trying to run out the clock was bad sportsmanship but let me put it to you this way: If this were football and the team that was behind by a sizeable margin had conceded defeat and was either taking a knee or running up the middle to run out the clock would it be okay for the coach of the leading team to call timeout so he could get the ball back and score again? It wasn't as though McCreary already had 98 points with a couple of minutes to go--they had 92 according to your account so they had to score 3 or 4 more times. I just don't think that was necessary, by holding the ball Whitley's coach was conceding and a 47 point win should have been sufficient.

Good for Coach Jones to allow his team score 100 points. I would say he personally could have cared a less if they scored a 100 or 92. But it rewarded the McCreary crowd that paid $5.00 to see the game. It sounds like the home crowd got alot of excitment on the way to 100. I personally think there is a big difference between rewarding your crowd and have the crowd "make out your starting lineup"

 

I reality Coach Jones had a choice to make: Please his crowd and tick off Whitley Co. or Please Whitley Co. and tick off his crowd.

 

Its to bad the Whitley Co. coach put him in that predicament by holding the ball the last 2 minutes. Personally I would have had my team play it out and challenged them to "D" up and keep them from scoring a 100. But to each his own.

 

I was there scouting and left at halftime. What I witnessed was Whitley threw the ball all over the gym, and couldn't throw it in the ocean when they did manage to get off a shot. And defensively they played man to man and McCreary had their way with them.

I got a chance to see Whitley in a Christmas Tournament and they are a much better team than how they played tonight.

 

 

I saw this happen a few years ago.

Southwestern was playing All Saints , when SW scored their 98th point All Saints held the ball the last 2 minutes of the game, preventing them from scoring a 100.

I guess it was some small accomplishment to keep us from hitting the century mark. I know for a fact that the coaching staff and players didn't care, but the fans were a bit disappointed.

Good for Coach Jones to allow his team score 100 points. I would say he personally could have cared a less if they scored a 100 or 92. But it rewarded the McCreary crowd that paid $5.00 to see the game. It sounds like the home crowd got alot of excitment on the way to 100. I personally think there is a big difference between rewarding your crowd and have the crowd "make out your starting lineup"

 

I reality Coach Jones had a choice to make: Please his crowd and tick off Whitley Co. or Please Whitley Co. and tick off his crowd.

 

Its to bad the Whitley Co. coach put him in that predicament by holding the ball the last 2 minutes. Personally I would have had my team play it out and challenged them to "D" up and keep them from scoring a 100. But to each his own.

 

I was there scouting and left at halftime. What I witnessed was Whitley threw the ball all over the gym, and couldn't throw it in the ocean when they did manage to get off a shot. And defensively they played man to man and McCreary had their way with them.

I got a chance to see Whitley in a Christmas Tournament and they are a much better team than how they played tonight.

 

 

I saw this happen a few years ago.

Southwestern was playing All Saints , when SW scored their 98th point All Saints held the ball the last 2 minutes of the game, preventing them from scoring a 100.

I guess it was some small accomplishment to keep us from hitting the century mark. I know for a fact that the coaching staff and players didn't care, but the fans were a bit disappointed.

 

I agree with Coach!

IMO I see nothing wrong with a coach wanting to score a couple more points for 100 and I also see nothing wrong with a coach holding the ball to stop it. I think the problem was the comments the Whitley coach made. He should just worry about coaching his team and not what the other coach is doing.

I have to agree with a few of the more recent posts on this one, gym. Obviously the fans wanted to score 100, but saying they run the team is way out of line. I'm sure he saw the anticipation and excitement of scoring 100 out of both the fans and the players and he let them do it. I'm not back tracking from the fans wanting 100, but they don't control the team. The fans are the 6th man and give momentum to the team, and although they didn't need it in this game, the influence and the knowledge, as a player, that the fans are there for that extra support can do nothing but help the Raiders.

 

After watching the game, it wasn't like McCreary fouled to get the final 8 points. As Whitley just threw the ball around the perimeter, McCreary put some pressure on the ball and the Colonels just threw it away. From there, Lay made consecutive 3-pointers to make it 95 and then 98.

 

If Baker was a "coach," he would have let his team play. See if the young Colonels can stop Raiders in the heat of the moment. I'm sure stopping them with defense would be much more rewarding for the young Colonels than holding the ball.

 

Well, if the score was in football and a team was aiming for their 100th point, go get it. They can hold the ball after that if they please. McCreary didn't keep trying to put up points after their 100th. Whitley intentionally fouled the last player off the bench for McCreary - he had two shots: had a lane violation on the first and missed the second. Then McCreary just passed the ball around for the final 28 seconds.

I agree with Coach!

 

I totally agree that a coach should do anything that will encourage their players and make their players confidence as high as possible. I also agree that coaches should try to please their fans (the players and the fans (in that order) are why coaches coach) and in doing so is in no way saying that the fans run or control the coaches decisions. Just remember, without players and fans you have no program and there will always be coaches ready to step in and coach. I applaud coach Jones and i especially applaud the Raiders basketball players on a great season so far and all of the accomplishments they have. I am a huge McCreary Central Raider fan and I support the players 100% and I also support the coaches 100%. I think the Whitley Co coach needs to look at himself as a coach and ask himself what he could do as a coach to make sure this doesen't happen again, because good coaches use bad situations to create stronger teams. I would like to wish Whitley Co. all the luck in the world. I would also like to wish my Raiders good luck for the rest of the season and I hope to see you guys in Lexington this year (I have all the confidence in you gus, go get'em)!

Did anyone happen to see the McCreary Central-Whitley co. game last year, at Whitley? The officials were clearly slanted to the colonels side, and it wasn't just that. Fans were throwing things at the McCreary side, the players showed no sportsmanship, and fans were hanging over the railings yelling profanity and racial slurs at the McCreary players. Baker didn't seem to have a problem then, and Coach Jones had not a word to say. But, when the team wants to score 100, Baker wants to down McCreary Central? seems odd.

Did anyone happen to see the McCreary Central-Whitley co. game last year, at Whitley? The officials were clearly slanted to the colonels side, and it wasn't just that. Fans were throwing things at the McCreary side, the players showed no sportsmanship, and fans were hanging over the railings yelling profanity and racial slurs at the McCreary players. Baker didn't seem to have a problem then, and Coach Jones had not a word to say. But, when the team wants to score 100, Baker wants to down McCreary Central? seems odd.

 

Whitley had a different coach last season, but if anyone listened to the post game comments from him, Baker would look so much better. Deaton complained the McCreary was too physical and benefited from all of the calls they received, while Whitley had to fight for anything they got.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.