Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

McCreary Central 100 Whitley County 53

Featured Replies

gchs, does the Herald-Leader have the stats for the game? I can't open the .pdf files.

 

I'm always here to help!

 

WHITLEY CO. (11-14) — McCumbers 16, Akins 9,

Prewitt 5, Lowrie 4, Crawford 5, Lovett 2, Ponder 2,

Powers 5, Danrels 5.

 

MCCREARY CENTRAL (21-3) — Watts 22, Swiger

22, Phillips 15, Hale 4, Musgrove 3, Roark 9, Lay 7,

Dixon 8, Wright 8, Tucker 2.

 

Whitley Co. . . . . . . . . .5 7 19 22— 53

McCreary Central . . .23 27 24 26—100

  • Replies 55
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, gchs.

 

Watts is in a bit of a slump, and I think it's lingering effects of the flu which I think caught him during the Rockcastle game. Swiger was big last night and really propelled the team.

Thanks, gchs.

 

Watts is in a bit of a slump, and I think it's lingering effects of the flu which I think caught him during the Rockcastle game. Swiger was big last night and really propelled the team.

 

Most schools would love to have Aaron Watts and his "slumping" 22 points!:D

 

I've yet to see McCreary Central this season so I'm not able to comment fully on them. I'm going mostly on what I've heard from other coaches and media types. How solid is Watts' supporting cast? By that I mean if Watts scores 8 points in a big game can the other guys pick up the slack and the team still win?

I'm always here to help!

 

WHITLEY CO. (11-14) — McCumbers 16, Akins 9,

Prewitt 5, Lowrie 4, Crawford 5, Lovett 2, Ponder 2,

Powers 5, Danrels 5.

 

MCCREARY CENTRAL (21-3) — Watts 22, Swiger

22, Phillips 15, Hale 4, Musgrove 3, Roark 9, Lay 7,

Dixon 8, Wright 8, Tucker 2.

 

Whitley Co. . . . . . . . . .5 7 19 22— 53

McCreary Central . . .23 27 24 26—100

 

Look at the 2 half, 41 points in the 2 nd half shows McCreary did let up.

Most schools would love to have Aaron Watts and his "slumping" 22 points!:D

 

I've yet to see McCreary Central this season so I'm not able to comment fully on them. I'm going mostly on what I've heard from other coaches and media types. How solid is Watts' supporting cast? By that I mean if Watts scores 8 points in a big game can the other guys pick up the slack and the team still win?

 

It depends. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. Only a couple of players played well against Rockcastle, and that's why they lost. There is about four "scorers" on the McCreary team that can and will put points up consistently. Josh Phillips, Zack Roark, Adam Swiger, and of course Aaron Watts. As you can see, Swiger matched Watts with 22, but Swiger rarely shoots the ball. He is pretty accurate beyond the arc, but does work while driving, faking the pass, and putting up a running layup or floater. Swiger is the pass first point guard. Roark is a wing/foward player that will make the three-point shot with great consistency, but drives the lane and plays the post great too. Phillips is mostly post, however, he has made several outside shots and can make them with consistency. Phillips best work is power inside, posting up, and backdoor cuts. If they play their basketball, Watts can have an off night and they will still win. However, they didn't even play their basketball against Rockcastle and that's why they lost.

Sounds like we didn't get the whole story for the Duke. If Whitley put their starters back in I don't see what the big deal about McCreary putting Watts back in was.

It all sounds sophomoric to me. Does McCreary even have a shot in this region?

It all sounds sophomoric to me. Does McCreary even have a shot in this region?

 

I hope that's a joke.

 

McCreary is the co-favorite with Lincoln County, a team they beat already this season, in the 12th Region.

No, not a joke. I am not familiar with the region. Thanks for the info though. And this is what region?

McCreary had their JV and freshman team in the last 6 mins. Coach Baker brough 3 starters back in and thats when everything happen.

 

So McCreary, leading by 43 points after three quarters, plays thier starters and main rotation of players for two minutes into the fourth? If your ahead by 43 points looks to me like you would get your main players out of there so if tempers flair, which often happens in that situation, and something happens you don't have your top players out there at risk of taking a cheap shot. Who cares who the other coach is playing, if they're getting beat by 40 he probably thinks they need all the playing time they can get.

So McCreary, leading by 43 points after three quarters, plays thier starters and main rotation of players for two minutes into the fourth? If your ahead by 43 points looks to me like you would get your main players out of there so if tempers flair, which often happens in that situation, and something happens you don't have your top players out there at risk of taking a cheap shot. Who cares who the other coach is playing, if they're getting beat by 40 he probably thinks they need all the playing time they can get.

 

That's kind of a valid argument too. If scoring 100 points is "essential" to the psyche of a team, they are probably too fragile to go very far anyway. ;)

It wasn't really the main rotation. The last quarter was played by Lay, Musgrove, Roark, Dixon, and Wright. Only one of those players starts (Roark). It just goes to the point that there is perhaps 2, maybe 3 players on the Raiders squad that isn't really a varsity player at a talent standpoint. McCreary is very deep. Every player on the team can hit the three except maybe two (because I haven't seen them take one this year.) I watched the game again last night on the television. With 2:52 to go, the players mentioned earlier were on the floor against the Colonels and the teams just swapped baskets without any problems. I think it would have been a totally different situation if the Raiders had 75 or 80 points compared to 92.

Guys this is not little league if Whitley Co. cant stop the Raders, get better i'm sure being that close to 100 points the players wanted to get it and so they did. I dont see a problem with it. Good luck to both teams the rest of the year.

Guys this is not little league if Whitley Co. cant stop the Raders, get better i'm sure being that close to 100 points the players wanted to get it and so they did. I dont see a problem with it. Good luck to both teams the rest of the year.

 

Sportsmanship ends with little league?

What has happened to Whitley Co. I can remember when they had some very good B-ball teams in the mid to late 90's. This is also a a very big school for the mountain area, which allows them to pick from a large group of kids. This is not a negative post I am just wanting some input from those in the Whitley Co. area.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.