Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Three Class - Northern Kentucky Basketball

Featured Replies

JUST FOR THE SAKE OF DISCUSSION, let's assume that the state would declare a three class basketball system (with the understanding that it will likely never happen) and after the restructure Northern Kentucky would find its three classes broken down as follows (broken down here by ability, more than size). The district competition would be done away with it and there would be three regional tournaments as follows:

 

Big Schools: Boone County, Conner, Ryle, Dixie Heights, CovCath, Holmes, Highlands, Campbell County, and Simon Kenton

 

Mid-Majors: St. Henry, Lloyd, Holy Cross, Newport, NCC, Brossart, Scott, and Walton-Verona

 

Small Schools: Heritage, Ludlow, Villa, Beechwood, Latin, Bellevue, Dayton, Calvary, and Silver Grove

 

Whether you are a proponent of classification or not, you have to admit that this would be three contentious regional tournaments which would generate huge fan interest from within the three classes and would actually serve everyone's best interest. :sssh:

I like it, but I don't see how you could break down by ability, not size.

I thought Scott was a bigger school and Lloyd was pretty small.

 

This format makes more sense than the crazy way the 10th region is spread out from the ohio river to Winchester.

 

I nominate Mustang as an At-Large member of the KHSAA representing the BGP vote.

I like it, but I don't see how you could break down by ability, not size.

I thought Scott was a bigger school and Lloyd was pretty small.

 

This format makes more sense than the crazy way the 10th region is spread out from the ohio river to Winchester.

 

I nominate Mustang as an At-Large member of the KHSAA representing the BGP vote.

 

I agree. I think it is a good idea. I would like to see something like this.

JUST FOR THE SAKE OF DISCUSSION, let's assume that the state would declare a three class basketball system (with the understanding that it will likely never happen) and after the restructure Northern Kentucky would find its three classes broken down as follows (broken down here by ability, more than size). The district competition would be done away with it and there would be three regional tournaments as follows:

 

Big Schools: Boone County, Conner, Ryle, Dixie Heights, CovCath, Holmes, Highlands, Campbell County, and Simon Kenton

 

Mid-Majors: St. Henry, Lloyd, Holy Cross, Newport, NCC, Brossart, Scott, and Walton-Verona

 

Small Schools: Heritage, Ludlow, Villa, Beechwood, Latin, Bellevue, Dayton, Calvary, and Silver Grove

 

Whether you are a proponent of classification or not, you have to admit that this would be three contentious regional tournaments which would generate huge fan interest from within the three classes and would actually serve everyone's best interest. :sssh:

 

Obviously has little chance of happening, as you said; but would seem to generate considerable interest locally. You could probably expand the regions further south to other counties that most of the state considers "Northern Kentucky" like Pendleton, Gallatin, Grant, etc., to make the regions a little larger.

 

On a side note--Hard to believe there are 26 high schools (soon to be 27) within that small area, which only extends less than 20 miles from downtown Cincinnati; and most are probably within 10 miles of Cincy??

I like it, but I don't see how you could break down by ability, not size.

I thought Scott was a bigger school and Lloyd was pretty small.

 

This format makes more sense than the crazy way the 10th region is spread out from the ohio river to Winchester.

 

I nominate Mustang as an At-Large member of the KHSAA representing the BGP vote.

 

Scott is a bigger school, but Lloyd is certainly not a small school. They are probably close to the largest (Scott is the largest) in Mustang's "Mid-Majors". The new Cooper HS would undoubtably be in the Large School region as well.

Obviously has little chance of happening, as you said; but would seem to generate considerable interest locally. You could probably expand the regions further south to other counties that most of the state considers "Northern Kentucky" like Pendleton, Gallatin, Grant, etc., to make the regions a little larger.

 

On a side note--Hard to believe there are 26 high schools (soon to be 27) within that small area, which only extends less than 20 miles from downtown Cincinnati; and most are probably within 10 miles of Cincy??

 

and that two of them will hop on the big yellow bus and come to Mt. Sterling to play in the regional tournament this year.

And that Simon Kenton will have to drive to Henry Co.

 

It's really crazy how the area's population has exploded.

I think it must be a Guru rule that we have to discuss class basketball at least once a year. I thought the district discussion was a set up for this.

 

If the above scenario is more than 9th Region schools, wouldn't it mess up the other regions?

Scott is a bigger school, but Lloyd is certainly not a small school. They are probably close to the largest (Scott is the largest) in Mustang's "Mid-Majors". The new Cooper HS would undoubtably be in the Large School region as well.

 

Thanks.

 

Any word on who will be the coach at Cooper?

  • Author
I think it must be a Guru rule that we have to discuss class basketball at least once a year. I thought the district discussion was a set up for this.

 

If the above scenario is more than 9th Region schools, wouldn't it mess up the other regions?

It would take an entire overhaul of the state.

 

Just off the top of my head it would probably cause the creation of eight sections rather than the present sixteen region format.

and that two of them will hop on the big yellow bus and come to Mt. Sterling to play in the regional tournament this year.

And that Simon Kenton will have to drive to Henry Co.

 

It's really crazy how the area's population has exploded.

 

Yeah, but 11 are "A" for football and 5 more "AA", while only 4 are "6-A"

I agree. I think it is a good idea. I would like to see something like this.

 

Never gonna happen.

It looks really good for this area... It would be interesting to see how it would stack up around the rest of the state also...

  • Author
Never gonna happen.
I realize this, but NEVER is a long time.

 

You have to agree that it would keep the Bellevues and Daytons of the world from being swept under the carpet and vilified for destroying the balance of the 9th Region Tournament.

 

As I said in my opening statement - FOR THE SAKE OF DISCUSSION.

Actually Scott is larger than both CovCath and Highlands! Remember HHS is a 3A football school which plays 5A and CovCath is a 4A football school that also plays 5A, where as Scott is a legit 5A school. When you add Cooper into the mix you would need to take CovCath and HHS out of the large school mix unless of course you want to be extremely top heavy!

Actually Scott is larger than both CovCath and Highlands! Remember HHS is a 3A football school which plays 5A and CovCath is a 4A football school that also plays 5A, where as Scott is a legit 5A school. When you add Cooper into the mix you would need to take CovCath and HHS out of the large school mix unless of course you want to be extremely top heavy!

 

See the way I look at that is, Holmes is definately with the big schools, and CovCath has to be there with Holmes, and Highlands has to be there with CovCath. Leave em all in place and move Scott up if you have to. I think if HHS was given the option of being the smallest big school or biggest medium school they would choose the former...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.