Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

16th region's All Time Leading Scorer?

Featured Replies

Where does Emily Queen stand ??

 

2907 total points scored.

With Jon. Ferguson scoring his 2000th point this week, what is the likely hood of him breaking Mr. Greene's record of 3172?

 

It's not quite fair to compare this stat since there was no three point line in the late 50's and Bert Green probably scored 40 to 50 % of his points behind the three point line. :ylsuper:

It's not quite fair to compare this stat since there was no three point line in the late 50's and Bert Green probably scored 40 to 50 % of his points behind the three point line. :ylsuper:

 

They also did'nt play nearly as aggressive defense as they do today. How do I know " I played during that time".:banana::banana::ylsuper:

They also did'nt play nearly as aggressive defense as they do today. How do I know " I played during that time".:banana::banana::ylsuper:

 

I did too. I played for Maysville in 1959 . We were both the same age and we played them twice that year. We beat them 1 point at Olive Hill and they beat us 1 point at Maysville. It was the only season game that Olive Hill lost that year. We were both in the State Tournament that year. I know the game has become more aggressive through the years and a lot of fouls not being called in todays game which in my opinion has ruined the game. I watched the Mason Co-Lex Cath game last night and there were about 100 fouls not called. Refs have allowed this and at times the games are completely out of control. Players are like students in a classroom, they'll do what they can get by with. Bert WAS dead eye from outside. I got to know him real well after college ,He refed a lot of games for me. Great guy.

I think there's a lot of us old dudes on this site. It gives us old retired folk something to do.:dancingpa

I think there's a lot of us old dudes on this site. It gives us old retired folk something to do.:dancingpa

 

My father still tells stories of the Maysville/Mason Co rivalry and always brings up Ronnie Lyons whenever he can. :thumb:

Ronnie was and still is a good friend of mine. There has never been such a crowd pleaser as Ronnie lyons. People came from all over to watch him play and Mason Co has never had that kind of a crowd since. People would almost fill that gym just for season games. He was a treat!!!!!!!!!!:dancingpa

Yep, I have heard nothing but amazing things about Lyons.

 

Anyhoo, back to the 16th topic, I haven't lived in Kentucky long enough to go way back. I do know I would give just about anything to watch those amazing Ashland/Boyd Co rivarly games in the 90's.

Yep, I have heard nothing but amazing things about Lyons.

 

Anyhoo, back to the 16th topic, I haven't lived in Kentucky long enough to go way back. I do know I would give just about anything to watch those amazing Ashland/Boyd Co rivarly games in the 90's.

 

I am in the same boat with you. But the 99' Ashland/ BC regional championship game was the best I have seen. Thats the one that Zornes hit a half court 3 to win....

My all time favorite team fron the 16th was Ashland when Conley, Sargent, Hilton, Smith, Daniels and Cram played back in the early 60's.In fact , it's my favorite all time high school team. A good friend of mine , Bob Wright , was their coach.

Had Jerry Ravenscraft of Rowan County not been run down by a drunk driver in Ashland Blazer's parking lot early in his senior year, he might have made a run at the record. As the state's leading scorer his junior year (40 ppg average), I bet he holds the single season record for most points in the 16th Region. This would've been around 1972.

 

Also, I bet Kelly Wells is in the top 10 or so - four year starter for Rowan with three of those being regional championships. He was averaging over 20 a game his last two seasons.

With Jon. Ferguson scoring his 2000th point this week, what is the likely hood of him breaking Mr. Greene's record of 3172?

 

He will break it,;) as long as he doedn't get hurt playing in the fourth quarter of a 30 point game.

Had Jerry Ravenscraft of Rowan County not been run down by a drunk driver in Ashland Blazer's parking lot early in his senior year, he might have made a run at the record. As the state's leading scorer his junior year (40 ppg average), I bet he holds the single season record for most points in the 16th Region. This would've been around 1972.

 

Also, I bet Kelly Wells is in the top 10 or so - four year starter for Rowan with three of those being regional championships. He was averaging over 20 a game his last two seasons.

 

Didnt know of this.. Did he die after this?

With Jon. Ferguson scoring his 2000th point this week, what is the likely hood of him breaking Mr. Greene's record of 3172?

How many did Rocky Atkins, another Elliott County star, score ? He was a scoring machine in his day.

Didnt know of this.. Did he die after this?

 

No, Jerry didn't die - he's still alive and kicking in Morehead, but was in a near-body cast for quite a while and had a long road back to walking and running again. He was attending an A.I.T. game (as a spectator) and while going to his car after the game a drunk driver hit him in the parking lot.

 

Joe B. Hall had already offered him a scholarship at U.K. Very sad, indeed.

 

I remember watching him score over 60 points in one game against Tollesboro.

 

Not many people remember him...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.