Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Perfect Football Offense

Featured Replies

Offenses come and go in cycles it seems. Florida is really running a version of the singlewing that was started by "Pop" Warner and Knute Rockne.

  • Replies 40
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no clue if this has been said... but the best offense IMHO .. one that scores points.

  • Author
Offenses come and go in cycles it seems. Florida is really running a version of the singlewing that was started by "Pop" Warner and Knute Rockne.

 

Exactly. Many people think they run some new offense, but your right, it is basically the single wing with Tebow playing the spinning fulback. Just a new twist on it, modernized.

  • Author
I like the Double Wing because I think it gives you more out of less athletes. Outnumbering someone at the point of attack, misdirection, and being able to bunch the defense up to burn them when you do throw it is an advantage. Look at the success Estill county had with it this year. They don't have blinding speed or super strong linemen, but they put some serious yardage on the board with what they had. Plus, if your area just has that kind of kid -- scrappy and tough -- I think you can be very effective. Now if you have the speed and hands, there are plenty of other choices out there. But the double wing lessens the decision making for most positions as well. It is assignment football, that can be very effective with only a few plays: Power(sometimes called toss), Counter, Sweep, Trap, and Wedge. All very easy to teach and learn. I think the only hard part to it is selling people on it because it does look unconventional. In reality, it is kind of a throwback to the old days!

 

That's the big advantage that I see with the Double Wing, is you can do more with less.

Hope I can sell a high school on that idea someday Ram.

Well, sounds like the best offense for your team.

And I think thats a good point. The perfect offense scheme will never be perfect for every team. You have to make the offense fit your team, not the other way around.

  • Author
And I think thats a good point. The perfect offense scheme will never be perfect for every team. You have to make the offense fit your team, not the other way around.

 

Exactly. Your offense has to be adaptable to the personnel that you have. And, an ideal offense for high school, is an offense that you can adapt every year, because your personnel changes every year.

That's the big advantage that I see with the Double Wing, is you can do more with less.

 

 

I understand the thinking behind the doublewing, especially the Coach Wyatt version, but I think that bunching everyone tight has serious drawbacks. First, while yes you have a lot of players at the point of attack, so does the defense. Second, it causes to many match-up problems of your okay athletes blocking their stud athletes. Thirdly, I know he(Wyatt) likes to emphasize that it is a hard offense to prepare for because of the mis-direction possibilities and that it is unorthodox but really it is very simple to set your defense up against, I know stopping it is another thing. Finally, because you have so many players at the POA that one defender can get beat, but since their is another defender that will be very close they can make up for it.

 

 

I like the spread because it puts your athletes in space and you can dictate match-ups through formations. You can even have the worst player on your team block one of the opposing teams best athletes(usually a corner) just by splitting him out as a receiver.

Finally it puts the defense in a lot of one on one situations where if they make a mistake their is no one close to help and the defense is gashed for big yardage.

Remember just because a team lines up in the spread does not mean they are trying to throw!!!

  • Author
I understand the thinking behind the doublewing, especially the Coach Wyatt version, but I think that bunching everyone tight has serious drawbacks. First, while yes you have a lot of players at the point of attack, so does the defense. Second, it causes to many match-up problems of your okay athletes blocking their stud athletes. Thirdly, I know he(Wyatt) likes to emphasize that it is a hard offense to prepare for because of the mis-direction possibilities and that it is unorthodox but really it is very simple to set your defense up against, I know stopping it is another thing. Finally, because you have so many players at the POA that one defender can get beat, but since their is another defender that will be very close they can make up for it.

 

 

I like the spread because it puts your athletes in space and you can dictate match-ups through formations. You can even have the worst player on your team block one of the opposing teams best athletes(usually a corner) just by splitting him out as a receiver.

Finally it puts the defense in a lot of one on one situations where if they make a mistake their is no one close to help and the defense is gashed for big yardage.

Remember just because a team lines up in the spread does not mean they are trying to throw!!!

 

Your right about both offenses. I really only like the Double Wing in theory, and the history behind it. It is a good offense for teams that don't have a lot of talent. Or that does not have a lot of talent every year. It's kinda like an equalizer.

 

You are right on with the spread, I think you don't have to have a whole team of athletes, but the more you have the better off you are. It is useful in that it spreads the defense out, and you are right about the one one match ups, and if there is a missed assignment then it is a big play.

 

It just depends on your philosophy. Both, had advantages and disadvantages, and both will work, and both are adaptable.

As many people have misconceptions that a spread can't run, so to do people who are not as well versed in the double wing have misconceptions of it. True spread and true double wing guys will never see eye to eye on philosphies. But that is what makes football so fun. Different styles, personalities, backgrounds, and athletes get to match wits and strengthe beat the other. I love playing against spread teams...it becomes a battle of wills and style.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.