Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Car Repair Help Needed

Featured Replies

Teenager's car

'93 Buick Regal

3.8 litre

 

Mechanic says it needs a Mass Airflow sensor and wants over $300 to fix it. Way to much for this old car. Was hoping for around $100, which I felt I could justify.

 

Called 2 very popluar auto parts stores and both stated that their computers are telling them the year and make of the car does not call for this sensor. Haynes manual I have has no reference to this sensor.

 

Mechanic unhooked sensor and we drove it home. Car runs better than it has in months. Problem is the mechanic says we can't drive it around to much because it will "backup and blow up".

 

HELP, she's killing me asking to borrow the truck or car every night.

 

Anyone have any suggestions?(other than buy a new/used car;))

I know Ford does cause I had to replace mine on my explorer once. Lucky for me it was still under warranty but they told me it was almost $200 to replace it.

 

 

Just found this website Mass Flow Sensor

Very interesting. I'm told that my daughter's car needs exactly the same thing. Being a 2001 Dodge Stratus; this is much pricier than $300. Supposedly $500 just for the part from the dealer; something like $275 aftermarket if it can be found.

 

When I use the link, there are no matches for "2001 Dodge Stratus Mass Air Flow Sensor". Sheesh!

Teenager's car

'93 Buick Regal

3.8 litre

 

Mechanic says it needs a Mass Airflow sensor and wants over $300 to fix it. Way to much for this old car. Was hoping for around $100, which I felt I could justify.

 

Called 2 very popluar auto parts stores and both stated that their computers are telling them the year and make of the car does not call for this sensor. Haynes manual I have has no reference to this sensor.

 

Mechanic unhooked sensor and we drove it home. Car runs better than it has in months. Problem is the mechanic says we can't drive it around to much because it will "backup and blow up".

 

HELP, she's killing me asking to borrow the truck or car every night.

 

Anyone have any suggestions?(other than buy a new/used car;))

 

 

What exactly is the car doing? maybe the throttle position sensor?

I can't speak for NamecipS, but (yes, trying to get some free advice) in my daughter's case, the car seems fine until you come to a stop. Does not want to keep running when idling at low RPMs.

  • Author
What exactly is the car doing? maybe the throttle position sensor?

 

Won't stay running when it's idling. It just dies.

Teenager's car

'93 Buick Regal

3.8 litre

 

Mechanic says it needs a Mass Airflow sensor and wants over $300 to fix it. Way to much for this old car. Was hoping for around $100, which I felt I could justify.

 

Called 2 very popluar auto parts stores and both stated that their computers are telling them the year and make of the car does not call for this sensor. Haynes manual I have has no reference to this sensor.

 

Mechanic unhooked sensor and we drove it home. Car runs better than it has in months. Problem is the mechanic says we can't drive it around to much because it will "backup and blow up".

 

HELP, she's killing me asking to borrow the truck or car every night.

 

Anyone have any suggestions?(other than buy a new/used car;))

 

If it really has one, try cleaning it first. Go to the auto parts store and buy a can of MAF sensor cleanor. It's in an aerosol can. It's a delicate part, and an expensive part as you know so take your time. It's located with the air intake.

 

Here's a link to the part:

 

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?D=buick+mass+air+flow+sensor&Ntt=buick+mass+air+flow+sensor&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Main&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=4294966999+9801&Nty=1&V=1585+4294966999&Vh=1993%20Buick

 

If you want to get the part and replace it yourself, I highly recommend Kentucky Motors. IMO, stay away from Autozone and PepBoys.

Won't stay running when it's idling. It just dies.

 

Have you checked the oxygen sensors? I have had the same problems.

So what did you end up doing???

  • Author
So what did you end up doing???

 

It's sitting in front of the house. Still up in the air what we're going to do.

 

I told her $350 now or monthly car payment to the bank, her choice.

I'm still waiting to hear from the mechanic on the status of ordering the part...

It's sitting in front of the house. Still up in the air what we're going to do.

 

I told her $350 now or monthly car payment to the bank, her choice.

Autozone lists two different models for your car. I am not saying you should buy it from Auto Zone but that was the first one I checked. It shouldn't be that hard to replace yourself.

 

http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,42420/initialAction,partTypeResultSet/initialN,15900151/initialNtt,/initialNo,/shopping/selectZip.htm

It's sitting in front of the house. Still up in the air what we're going to do.

 

I told her $350 now or monthly car payment to the bank, her choice.

 

If you have an auto parts store close by, drive it up there, and have them check the engine codes. If a senor is bad, it should be throwing a code. They'll be able to tell you what's wrong. That is if you don't trust your mechanic. Based on my quick search, a 34 is the MAF. If it truly is the MAF, you can try the cleaner or buy a new one and install yourself. Again, I'll never buy anything electrical from Autozone, as that's just been my dad's and my personal experiences.

 

If I'm not mistaken, it's sitting on the sensor housing that will protrude into the air intake. An electrical clip and 4 screws is all there is to the install.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.