Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fan and Student support

Featured Replies

Was wondering how everyone felt about their teams support from their community, school adminstrators, and student body.

 

Well here goes. Being a life long fan and supporter of Highlands High School, I will say I am a little dissapointed with the overall support from it's fan base. I think that they do get a pretty good base of support, but it's the same people over and over. With HHS winning as much as they do, people tend to get bored with it. The student body is sometimes there in full support, but only for big games. Community same way.

 

Case in point. HHS plays CovCath on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Was it a packed house? Not even close. Why not? What else is there to do in Ft. Thomas? Yes the Santa House was going on at Moyer but the people that went to that would not normally go games anyway. So where is everyone? Last Friday, pathetic home crowd. I know, I know, families have a lot more to do these days. But c'mon, it's playoff time and HHS is marching their way towards a 17th State Championship.

 

What ever happened to the Bon fires, Pep Rallys, Parades around town? It's too bad but I guess times have changed. I know one person that will always be there supporting their team. How about everyone else?

  • Replies 38
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

Forgot one other thing. Jr came home today and I asked him what everyone was saying about the game on Friday. He tells me that some are not going because it's going to be too cold. They were hoping that it would be on TV. Probably the same kids that do nothing but play Playstation. X Box, Wii, and whatever else they do inside instead of going outside like back in the good ole days.

Well Said:

You have defined what is wrong with our children’s mind set.

The media has a lot to do with it.

We have raised a generation of couch potatoes.

Won’t be too many years, we’ll be outsourcing ALL Sports in this country.

ML Baseball is a good example.

 

Back in our day….we sweated it out, butted heads and pushed each other to the limit.

One of the proudest achievements in my life was that I was a (tiny-small) part of a successful program @ BW. There are no regrets when you leave it all out on the field. I can live with myself as I am relegated to the couch forever.

 

Teaching this to the kids and getting them to truly understand is one of the hardest things in life to do as an adult or parent. These kids don’t understand they only have 1 shot at it, and many don’t care.

 

Many generations of families are keeping the fire lit within certain programs.

This my friend, is the reason why HHS & BW continue with so many continuous years of success.

Thank You to the Families / Friends / Fans / Support Base & Parents of these programs who labor behind the scenes to keep it alive.

 

GO Bluebirds & GO Tigers!

Bring those Titles Home (Again)!

I beg to differ. I think our fan support and our community are great. I think the crowds have been great for games. You have to remember that over the past couple of years we have this little thing called the Education Foundation which provides a unique place to sit and watch the game. ( Inside) Many sit there. As far as the students, I guess you don't remember how it was in the old days. You wouldn't know we had students. Now they come to the games, sit together and dress the part. I even love that the Admin. is FINALLY letting them on the field again after games. Yippie. It is amazing what the parents and community do for the athletics. Just this year many upgrades to the facility were done by parents and community members that just want to be a part of it.

 

Parents have been at the school everynight this week preparing signs to be hung around town for the State game. The weather has not helped with that project. Would have been up all week but with the impending snow storm today, it was thought best to wait till Thurs. Looking out the window right now they were right. There would have been nothing left but blue and white globs.

 

There is rarely an away game that there isn't a fan bus. Tailgating which was almost non existant 10 years ago is alive and well.

 

I do know of 4 fan buses going to the game Friday. One is a student bus for the seniors. As far as the pep rallies and bon fires, that is a coaches decision. Dale has always liked to stick to routine. That's fine with me. Pep rallies arent going to win the game but preperation will.

 

I have always felt that if there is something that you want to do go out and do it. Organize a parade thru town if you want. Make and hang signs on your own. Fan buses can't be rented thru the school due to liability so rent your own bus like others have done and fill it up with friends and family and head to the big game in style with a tailgate to boot.

GOOD FOR Y’ALL!

Thanks for describing the Festivities / Events / Participation goin on.

KEEP That Fire Lit!

I’m a little removed (1000 miles away) from NKY.

As per usual, always pullin for the Birds (and oh-yea, THE TIGERS).

  • Author

I sit in the area of the Student section. Yes there are those that dress up and paint their bodies and go crazy. That is awesome. It just doesn't happen week in and week out. The Education Foundation area, yes there are several people over there but no more than 100. I don't know, maybe it's just me that I want everyone to be at the games going crazy and nuts over the team. I just got a little upset when Jr said kids aren't going because it might be too cold. Same way with the adults in town. There will be some that don't go because of it being too cold. C'mon!

 

With decorating up the town, helping at school with field projects, getting Buses together for trips - Same people over and over, and thanks goodness those people are there to lend their time and support. This wasn't and isn't a bash on the people of Ft. Thomas and the school. It's just a concern on where the people(numbers) are that used to go to games. Glad to see all's well with some.

I sit in the area of the Student section. Yes there are those that dress up and paint their bodies and go crazy. That is awesome. It just doesn't happen week in and week out. The Education Foundation area, yes there are several people over there but no more than 100. I don't know, maybe it's just me that I want everyone to be at the games going crazy and nuts over the team. I just got a little upset when Jr said kids aren't going because it might be too cold. Same way with the adults in town. There will be some that don't go because of it being too cold. C'mon!

 

With decorating up the town, helping at school with field projects, getting Buses together for trips - Same people over and over, and thanks goodness those people are there to lend their time and support. This wasn't and isn't a bash on the people of Ft. Thomas and the school. It's just a concern on where the people(numbers) are that used to go to games. Glad to see all's well with some.

 

 

 

I think everyone has their thing. When the soccer teams are going to state I don't decorate and go to rallies, but I'll probably go to the game but not to the same extent that I would go to football. When there are plays going on, there is a group that are promoting and putting up signs and making things for the plays to make it great for the kids and the community. That is their thing. You mentioned Santa house and their was a great group of people working on that, time and decorating to make that a successful event for the kids and schools.

 

I think everyone has thier thing they support. Football is my thing and I would love for everyone to love it as much as I do but I also realize that everyone is giving to their passion which makes for a better well rounded community.

Great fan support at both John Hardin and Owensboro games. (by both teams) Was packed at John Hardin--standing room only and BG brought a bunch of fans. Same thing at Owensboro--their side was full and ours was standing room only. Both stadiums were very nice and provided a great atmosphere for football.

Unfortunately kids have far to many options these days and they always seem to want to do to many other things. I think student support in NKY still remains pretty strong but when the programs start to slid they do tend to find different things to do. In my days attending a high school athletic event was the only thing that I ever wanted to do. Couldn't imagine skipping a football or basketball game to go see a movie or something. That was for Saturday night.

Fans on the other hand can be very fickle and of course they always expect a winner. Fans can often times be very critical of the program they support but I think it's important that it is understood that they are also very loyal to their respective programs and feel as though they have a vested interest in the success or failure of the team they support.

Good coaches reach out to the students in the school and to the fans that support them and make them feel apart of their respective programs. Successful programs have very large student Pep Clubs, an active Booster organization and dedicated Alumni that simply want to encourage and support their respective schools.

How many of the 12 schools actually close for the day to allow everyone to go to the game ?

I think the fan support at X is very good but depending on the game, the student support seems to be on the decline.

How many of the 12 schools actually close for the day to allow everyone to go to the game ?

Most likely 4 schools will close since those are the only 4 schools playing during school hours.

How many of the 12 schools actually close for the day to allow everyone to go to the game ?

 

I can't imagine a school would close for the day. Maybe get out early. I would love it. I think the football state championship should be a national holiday, but if you do it for football then you have to do it for all sports and it may not end there. Sweet Sixteen would be unbelievable. All those schools out for approx. three days and then you have the girls version also. I just can't see the State Board of Ed. going for something like that with the possibility of mulitple days out of class.

I have to say that the school and community support in Ludlow has been very good, with the exception of this year. Hopefully that will change next year.

In addition to the many alternatives now available, I have to wonder how much the mobile nature of our society plays into this? In the past you might have many families who've lived in the same place for decades. Now, people change jobs, change houses and change schools on a much broader basis. Someone only in the school for a couple years is probably less likely to fight the crowds, weather, etc. to attend a game. If they're parents and older siblings also have no past link to the school it becomes even less likely.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.