Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

South Laurel 81 Williamsburg 49

Featured Replies

That was my thinking but 3 and 4 could go back in forth; just depends!

  • Replies 35
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like South will be just fine.

From what I saw of Williamsburg last year I just dont see how they could be considered a very strong team at all this year. This is a decent win for South but not something that you can actually gauge what they can do with the top teams. Williamsburg may win 7 to 10 games depending on what kind of schedule they have. South does a good job of taking a 20 point win and making a 30 point plus win out of it due to the numbers of athletes they have, compared to a team like Cumberland that dominates a game then once they go to their bench past 7 or 8 guys they get outscored 8 or 10 points in the last 2 minutes of the game and win by only 15. I doubt very seriously that South dominated Williamsburg any more than Cumberland dominated Barbourville, but they win by 32 and Cumberland wins by 15 and didnt even have their guard (Leisge) that was rated by the 13th Region coaches one of the top 10 players in the Region

  • Author
From what I saw of Williamsburg last year I just dont see how they could be considered a very strong team at all this year. This is a decent win for South but not something that you can actually gauge what they can do with the top teams. Williamsburg may win 7 to 10 games depending on what kind of schedule they have. South does a good job of taking a 20 point win and making a 30 point plus win out of it due to the numbers of athletes they have, compared to a team like Cumberland that dominates a game then once they go to their bench past 7 or 8 guys they get outscored 8 or 10 points in the last 2 minutes of the game and win by only 15. I doubt very seriously that South dominated Williamsburg any more than Cumberland dominated Barbourville, but they win by 32 and Cumberland wins by 15 and didnt even have their guard (Leisge) that was rated by the 13th Region coaches one of the top 10 players in the Region

 

Ummmm, OK

Wiliamsburg is much improved but have no seniors this year and have several football players who play big roles. They'll be much better come January. South may not be as good as they were the last couple of years but nobody will want to draw them come region time. A school that big should always be competitive in the 13th and South has accomplished that. St. John is a man child and Borkman and Jones are athletic kids with high skill levels. If anybody thinks South will be a walk in the park they will be fooled.

Wiliamsburg is much improved but have no seniors this year and have several football players who play big roles. They'll be much better come January. South may not be as good as they were the last couple of years but nobody will want to draw them come region time. A school that big should always be competitive in the 13th and South has accomplished that. St. John is a man child and Borkman and Jones are athletic kids with high skill levels. If anybody thinks South will be a walk in the park they will be fooled.
What is it with guys like you that keep saying things like "if anyone thinks South will be a walk in the park they will get fooled". I dont recall anyone ever saying that they are anything other than a very solid program with excellent coaching and a lot of good athletes to choose from, but they just dont seem to have the same quality basketball players this year that they have had over the last 3 or 4 years, which is clearly true. This fact , however doesnt make anyone feel like they will be an easy victory for anyone in this region or any region, so relax a little and enjoy the season sir.

South Laurel is very good. They have been very good as long as I can recall. Proof is in the puddin, look at the past 25 years, compare records and see who is who in the region. Some have their ups and downs, Some have their downs and downs and then a few have their ups and ups.....enough said. No one is disrespecting Cumberland. I can recall when Williamsburg....2000 would have wiped the floor with the Skins, Now the Skins would beat the Jackets 2007. Small school syndrome. Cycles take place. If basketball were classed, how things would change. We can go on and on about it. Barbourville has been the best small school team in the 13th region for the last 20 years, Harlan would have to be a close second. After that, they all have had their chances. Just My Opinion.

South Laurel is very good. They have been very good as long as I can recall. Proof is in the puddin, look at the past 25 years, compare records and see who is who in the region. Some have their ups and downs, Some have their downs and downs and then a few have their ups and ups.....enough said. No one is disrespecting Cumberland. I can recall when Williamsburg....2000 would have wiped the floor with the Skins, Now the Skins would beat the Jackets 2007. Small school syndrome. Cycles take place. If basketball were classed, how things would change. We can go on and on about it. Barbourville has been the best small school team in the 13th region for the last 20 years, Harlan would have to be a close second. After that, they all have had their chances. Just My Opinion.
You make a lot of good points here Bubba, but I would not be able to agree with you on Barbourville being the best single A school over the last 20 years. Harlan would have to get that nod with some of the tremendous teams they have had. They won an AAU State Championship, 2 All A State Championships, 2 or 3 trips to Rupp Arena with one ending in the final 4, not to mention a top 20 National Ranking and a Mr Basketball (Charles Thomas) who was raised in the Cumberland (Tri-City area) before moving to Harlan just before his 8th grade year. Having said that, I do get your point about a lot of schools having their ups and downs and the cycles of athletes, with certain programs such as Clay County, Corbin, South Laurel and Harlan being more consistent than most. I think the successes of these schools have been part of the inspiration for the special group of kids at Cumberland that have been together for 3 years now, with the exception of Wilson who has been with them for 2 years. They have followed the lead of these schools with their year round dedication to the game and it is really starting to show.
You make a lot of good points here Bubba, but I would not be able to agree with you on Barbourville being the best single A school over the last 20 years. Harlan would have to get that nod with some of the tremendous teams they have had. They won an AAU State Championship, 2 All A State Championships, 2 or 3 trips to Rupp Arena with one ending in the final 4, not to mention a top 20 National Ranking and a Mr Basketball (Charles Thomas) who was raised in the Cumberland (Tri-City area) before moving to Harlan just before his 8th grade year. Having said that, I do get your point about a lot of schools having their ups and downs and the cycles of athletes, with certain programs such as Clay County, Corbin, South Laurel and Harlan being more consistent than most. I think the successes of these schools have been part of the inspiration for the special group of kids at Cumberland that have been together for 3 years now, with the exception of Wilson who has been with them for 2 years. They have followed the lead of these schools with their year round dedication to the game and it is really starting to show.

 

 

I would have to agree with Old School and say Harlan before Bville. Yes, Harlan had some rough years between 01-03, but have been decent since then. 92-00 they were great, and they had one bad year in 91. So I would have to say Harlan before Bville. I also would like to say Old School, you are right, the Redskins have dedicated themselves. I seen them a couple of times running the golf course when I made the trip up from Harlan. They have worked hard to get were they are at.

I would have to agree with Old School and say Harlan before Bville. Yes, Harlan had some rough years between 01-03, but have been decent since then. 92-00 they were great, and they had one bad year in 91. So I would have to say Harlan before Bville. I also would like to say Old School, you are right, the Redskins have dedicated themselves. I seen them a couple of times running the golf course when I made the trip up from Harlan. They have worked hard to get were they are at.

 

 

 

Maybe HDE could provide us with the overal records for the 13th region teams over the last 10 to 15 seasons. That would be the only source I could think of that would have that kinda information. Cumberland sounds like they are on a mission this season. The two bigs who came from NC have really put them over the top. Pineville would be a big favorite for the All A if they had not arrived.

Harlan has had the big seasons, but as of late B-ville has been really consistent and is a very solid class A program. How do you think the new Harlan County school will effect the Harlan Independent School and its basketball program?

I guess it depends on which you prefer. Harlan's probably had two times as many all All "A" championships as Barbourville, so I'd go with that, plus they had win totals of 21, 33, 28, 33, 27, 17, 19, 27 and 22 from 1992 to 2000.

 

Barbourville has been more consistent the last five years, but they had records of 5-19 and 11-17 in 2001 and 2002. Barbourville has had six 20-win seasons since 1990. Harlan has had eight, including two of 30-plus.

What is it with guys like you that keep saying things like "if anyone thinks South will be a walk in the park they will get fooled". I dont recall anyone ever saying that they are anything other than a very solid program with excellent coaching and a lot of good athletes to choose from, but they just dont seem to have the same quality basketball players this year that they have had over the last 3 or 4 years, which is clearly true. This fact , however doesnt make anyone feel like they will be an easy victory for anyone in this region or any region, so relax a little and enjoy the season sir.

 

 

Well said.

  • Author

Cumberland and Corbin are the two favorites, Central, South and Jackson are a couple of notches below.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see South struggle a bit Saturday.

There's going to be times, especially early in the season, South will be inconsistent.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.