November 11, 200718 yr At one point, the UC broadcast had Belmont with 23 baskets and 20 assists. THAT is basketball, right there. UK should be studying this film to learn what basketball is supposed to be. Nice job Mr. Belcher. While I agree in general, it would depend on the types of assists. Were they on breakouts? Were they simply a pass to a 3 pt shooter? Or were they assists like the GW boys had against UK? Those were truly great assists.
November 11, 200718 yr While I agree in general, it would depend on the types of assists. Were they on breakouts? Were they simply a pass to a 3 pt shooter? Or were they assists like the GW boys had against UK? Those were truly great assists. There were at best a handful that were breakouts. It was moving the ball and making the extra pass for the 3's. When UC was really overplaying the 3's, it was backdoor cuts for layups. It was a thing of beauty for a coach who preaches execution. For a former school of Bob Huggins, the consistent uncontested layups they were giving up was sickening.
November 11, 200718 yr Author I wasn't there, but everyone I talked to who was told me it was very crisp passing causing the D to "chase". Mick made a great point tonight about teaching freshman defense. Often they are far and away the best player on their HS team, and are told to do as little as possible on D by their HS teams because it's simply a good strategy. Keep them out of foul trouble and on the court putting up points. Would you want to have a roster for 3 weeks and have them play a group of JRs and SRs that have been to back to back Big Dances in game 1 lbbc? If so, why???
November 11, 200718 yr No. I love AK as a coach, but as a recruiter he leaves a lot to be desired... Didn't know he had problems recruiting. What I liked about AK was his passion for the game was undeniable.
November 12, 200718 yr Would you want to have a roster for 3 weeks and have them play a group of JRs and SRs that have been to back to back Big Dances in game 1 lbbc? If so, why??? I don't understand your question. I do think if he has the right type of players, UC will benefit from this and learn how to execute offensively and realize at this level, you can't just deny and think that is playing defense. You have to deny and be ready for the backdoor. And for those off the ball, you have to be in help defense position and stop the layups. Make the cutter have to make another pass as you take away the easy layup and hope your teammates are playing smart help defense and rotating to pickup the pass.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.