Top Defenses

knights52

Higlands defense has to be ranked at the top in Kentucky. This year's squad has the best pass defense for a Highlands team in years - including the 2004 State Champion team. Great down linemen with size and speed, inside and outside linebackers covering the field that hit like there's no tomorrow and now the defensive backs are making a huge statement in the interception department... All ingredients for another state champion! :thumb:

There is no way you can compare Belfry's defense to a St. X or Highlands, but I have no reservations saying that Belfry has pound for pound one of the state's top defenses.

The Pirates Varsity defense is yet to allow a point so far, and I'd be willing to say well over half of the yards they have allowed have came against reserves as the Pirates have had their starting defense play in the 4th Quarter of only one game this season. In fact, the Pirate 1st Stringers have outscored every team on their schedule 2-0 this season by themselves.

Some stats:

8.2 points per game (0 vs. varsity)

73.2 rushing yards per game (They held Corbin to negative yardage on the ground and Pikeville gained less than 100 yards after averaging over 300 per game)

54.4 pass yards per game (They have played three teams who pass the ball quite frequently in Corbin, Lawrence County, and Shelby Valley)

127.6 Total yards Per Game

Just as a reference in terms of their competition, Corbin is a 5-1 Top 5 2A team who just this weekend gained almost 650 yards against LCA. Pikeville is 4-2 and a Top 7 1A team who just two weeks ago hung up over 300 yards against LexCath in a game where LexCath played their starters until the final horn. Shelby Valley is 4-2, and although Lawrence Couny is 1-5 they are probably the favorite to win their district.

As I said, you can't put them in the same league as your 5A and 6A powerhouses, but I'd be remiss to say you'd struggle to find any defense as good as Belfry's in 4A down.