Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rockcastle County/South Laurel scrimmage

Featured Replies

Did anyone attend this scrimmage? Results and comments please...

I did get to see them and Rock was big and physical just like always. Had a couple of little backs and maybe able to throw the ball better this year than last. Defensively I don't think they are as good. DA I don't know if you have any Renfro's but I think that same strategy as used in 04 would work.

21-7 Rockcastle. SL's score was a bit of a fluke. I beleive it was around 3rd and 25-30, SL's QB Bowling was about to be sacked, eluded the rush and hit a WR deep down field for the long score.

 

I though SL looked much improved over last season defensively, especially against the run. They were flying to the ball and hitting much better than previous seasons. On offense Bowling looked as good as ever, and they had a RB (#13) that ran hard, and looked pretty quick. I do think their receiving corp looked pretty down in conmparison to past seasons

 

Rock looked a little smaller than past teams, but played hard like a typical well-coached Rockcastle team.

Bowling will fly under the radar, he is an excellent QB in that system. His scrambling abilities will elude many defensive's and be able to throw that long ball, he has a pretty spiral. SL was a lot better defensively that years past and bigger. #13 will be a real player by the end of the season. Their D-Line was big and tall. There were a lot of hard knocks in this game, both teams brought a lot of emotion for this scrimmage. 3 quarters of slobberknocking. Rock had 1 guy out to injury that should be back, other than that I think both sides came out healthy. I think a lot of people over look the fact that in these scrimmages there isn't any game preparation or scouting, therefore, it is hard to play defense. SL had one play that if scouted would not have worked over and over, but they ran to perfection, I'll give them that. I would've loved to see these two teams play a real game this season, it is shame that the two schools are 25 miles apart and cannot play. Neither Laurel school for that matter.

I thought SL's defense did look better. The best drive of the night was the last Rock varsity scoring drive. It was a beautiful drive mixing run and pass. I thought Bowling looked a little off in the first half, but in the 3rd quarter, bought himself time with some nice scrambles and finding open receivers. The TD pass scramble was a nice piece of QBing to me and #13, Bubba Bailey, worked his way over, got open deep, and Bowling threw a pretty deep ball for the long TD.

 

My only concern is seeing Bowling playing safety after really not playing D for the past 2 seasons. My concern isn't his ability at all. I thought he did a good job. However, you don't want to see him get hurt when he makes that offense go AND it shows a possible lack of depth that could be a concern. I really like the Merida and Bailey kids. They are going to be MAJOR factors for South this season. The young WR's have to step up after the loss of their 3 top receivers from last season (Bingham, Cochis and Baker).

 

Rockcastle looked young, especially on the line, but as the scrimmage wore on, you could see their line getting the game legs. I like how their backs hit the hole and go North/South instead of East/West. But I would expect nothing different from a Tom Larkey team. They had some major holes to fill on the line after losing so many good starters from last year, but if I were a Rock fan, I can see that they are coming along nicely.

I thought SL's defense did look better. The best drive of the night was the last Rock varsity scoring drive. It was a beautiful drive mixing run and pass. I thought Bowling looked a little off in the first half, but in the 3rd quarter, bought himself time with some nice scrambles and finding open receivers. The TD pass scramble was a nice piece of QBing to me and #13, Bubba Bailey, worked his way over, got open deep, and Bowling threw a pretty deep ball for the long TD.
Did North Scrimmage?

I thought the ROCKS team looked good and played really well. I believe the ROCKS defense and offense will come along nicely.

Mountain Thunder - I've heard this is the best in shape team that the Rock has had, every player has been well conditioned and didn't veen get winded in the game. They have been busting thier tails in practice getting in shape since early July, heat or no heat. Rock returned 1 lineman, a senior hoss in Scott Daughtery who could be one of the best to play the tackle position at Rock. Other than that, there are 2 sophomores, 2 junior, 1 other senior that didn't play line last year and a freshmen that will go for the starting positions at the LOS.

Did North Scrimmage?

 

Yes. They defeated Spencer County 20-0 or 21-0. It was really 14-0 during varsity play, the frosh punched in the last score.

Mountain Thunder - I've heard this is the best in shape team that the Rock has had, every player has been well conditioned and didn't veen get winded in the game. They have been busting thier tails in practice getting in shape since early July, heat or no heat. Rock returned 1 lineman, a senior hoss in Scott Daughtery who could be one of the best to play the tackle position at Rock. Other than that, there are 2 sophomores, 2 junior, 1 other senior that didn't play line last year and a freshmen that will go for the starting positions at the LOS.

 

I knew they lost a TON of talent from last year's line, including UK signee Durham. But like I said, by the end of the varsity portion, the Rockets looked like they were just getting rolling and were just getting stronger as it wore on. When these young guys get more game experience, they will be another solid Rockcastle line. No shock there at all!

 

Would you put Daughtery in the same league as Leger and Durham? They were 2 special players for the Rock! That is saying something! :thumb:

I knew they lost a TON of talent from last year's line, including UK signee Durham. But like I said, by the end of the varsity portion, the Rockets looked like they were just getting rolling and were just getting stronger as it wore on. When these young guys get more game experience, they will be another solid Rockcastle line. No shock there at all!

 

Would you put Daughtery in the same league as Leger and Durham? They were 2 special players for the Rock! That is saying something! :thumb:

 

A little early but he is good. :thumb:

You can't tell much about scrimmages, because I am sure the Rockcastle coaches are experimenting with their young players. SouthWestern surely had someone scouting the game. Coach Tom Larkey is too smart to show his hand this early in the season. I am certain that the Rockets are going to be good with their smashmouth style of play as usual. Even with a young team, they will be able to make a deep run in the playoffs.

I wonder why Rock always uses oxygen tanks on the sideline. Isn't that a health risk if you use it too much? I would think a team that is in great shape wouldn't need something like that.

I wonder why Rock always uses oxygen tanks on the sideline. Isn't that a health risk if you use it too much? I would think a team that is in great shape wouldn't need something like that.

 

I have often wondered about that as well??? I would not let a child of mine use it b/c it can lead to serious problems if over used.

 

 

From last year I personally felt like Daughtery was better than Durham just not as big. He did not take many plays off.

I have often wondered about that as well??? I would not let a child of mine use it b/c it can lead to serious problems if over used.

 

 

From last year I personally felt like Daughtery was better than Durham just not as big. He did not take many plays off.

 

I often wondered the same the same thing, but Brad was born to play college football with his build.

 

I think we discussed it in the Rockcastle thread but Scott is one of those guys that has always lived here (Rockcastle) and grew up with the football mentality. He will play hard no matter if we are playing Greenup county (no offense) or Highlands. He always gives it his best.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.