Rocks Eye Three-Peat... for the 3rd time.

Coach Bob Beatty doesn't care that his Trinity High School football team, the Class 4-A champion in 2005 and '06, is the preseason favorite to win the Class 6-A championship this year.

"Rankings are for the media and coffeehouses," he said Wednesday afternoon.

Trinity, which beat Ryle 41-7 in last year's 4-A final, lost a lot of talent but has simply reloaded as it guns for its sixth state championship in seven years.

Will Stein, all 5 feet 10 and 170 pounds of him, will replace the departed Nick Petrino at quarterback. (Look for a story on Stein to run in the newspaper early next week.) He'll have several talented players to throw to in Trinity's four-receiver sets, including seniors Alex and Nathan Dutton and juniors William Leach and Scott Radcliff.

Junior Tim Phillips returns to lead the rushing attack after compiling 1,284 yards and 22 touchdowns last season. Beatty says the smallish Phillips has added 18 pounds during the off-season. Sam Robey and Alex Kupper anchor a solid offensive line.

The defense will be led by two of the top linebackers in the state - senior Wes Weitlauf and junior Jordan Whiting.

Trinity lost a lot in the secondary, but Beatty pointed out defensive backs Nick Van Wallaghen and Jordan Borders as two of the biggest surprises of preseason camp.

The Shamrocks will open their season Aug. 31, hosting 2006 AAA runner-up Bowling Green.

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/khs/blog.html

Not much else you can say about this thread. 8/31 will be the day the real talk begins, on the field and that's where it should be.......

I agree the first and the third games will tell a lot about this team early on.

This is a little off thread since the 3-peat relates to Kentucky, but is Cincy St. X, Trinity's third game opponent, ranked in the top 5 in the USA (for whatever that's worth) at this time?

Yes they are the third game which is why I made my earlier post. this could be a special team, the stage is set like 02.