Deaton Leaves Whitley Co.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bubba what I have seen over the past couple of years is the program at Whitley is all about pleasing the parents. That is what everyone gets involved in. Until this stops you will not be seeing any District or Region Championship Trophys in the Colonels Trophy Case.

Deaton would have seemed to be the perfect fit to clean that type of mess up, but from what I am hearing, some parents and boosters did not take to Deaton very well thus leading to Mr. Anderson looking for a new coach once again.

What will be next for Coach Deaton? Where is he headed? Will he be back in school administration or on the sidelines. I for one will hate not seeing him on the bench out at Lawson gym next season. His hardnosed, in your face style of basketball was just what the doctor ordered for the Colonels. This really shocks me that he did not last more than one year at the helm. The man had been a winner at each stop before and would have surley won a bunch of games if he had chosen to stay at Whitley County. I agree with JohnBoy, the Colonels are taking a step back.

Thacker has won a lot of games to be discarded like an old shoe.

That would be like being thrown under the bus IMO. Thacker has a fantasic reputation with many ALL A regions under his belt. I seriously doubt he would be shoved aside that easily.

That would be like being thrown under the bus IMO. Thacker has a fantasic reputation with many ALL A regions under his belt. I seriously doubt he would be shoved aside that easily.

Thacker has won right at 60% of his games at Somerset. He averages 18 wins per year and 12 loses per year. Pretty decent.

Thacker has won right at 60% of his games at Somerset. He averages 18 wins per year and 12 loses per year. Pretty decent.

I am impressed with that figuring Rojas. Did you have to take your shoes off and count toes too?;)

They must have taught that old school back in the day in Harlan County.....lol

Bubba is like Jethro, a naught from naught is a naught.

My best subjects were lunch and recess. I also stocked the wood stove pretty well in that one room school building.

Thacker will be thre .IMO ... I've been hearing Meece Middle in Somerset.

Les, from what I've been hearing that was offered to him but the money wasn't close to what he wanted. I don't think he'll be in the Somerset system next year--unless he wants to coach football, we're in the market for one of those.

It is a shame. Generations of Colonels seems to be in a tail spin concerning basketball. Whitley would be one of the larger schools in the area and has not produced a district winner in over 25 seasons. What is the major problem? They seem to have numbers, feeder system and nice facilities. Apparently they can offer a lot of money to attrach a good coach, why do they not stay and put some roots down? There must be something really unusual going on out there.

I agree. Something isn't right. Whitley County was the largest school in the 13th region until the Laurel County schools came in last year, yet they can't seem to get much done in boys basketball. One would think they could at least win one district in 25 years.

I agree. Something isn't right. Whitley County was the largest school in the 13th region until the Laurel County schools came in last year, yet they can't seem to get much done in boys basketball. One would think they could at least win one district in 25 years.

There has been only on constant over those 25 years and that has been turmoil. If I were tryin to put my finger on the blame I would look around and see why these fine coaches do not want to stay. You would think after so many changes people might realize that it can not always be the coaches fault. Some of the guilt has to be shared by alot of folks for 10 Coaches leaving in the last 15 seasons. The kids deserve better IMO.

There has been only on constant over those 25 years and that has been turmoil. If I were tryin to put my finger on the blame I would look around and see why these fine coaches do not want to stay. You would think after so many changes people might realize that it can not always be the coaches fault. Some of the guilt has to be shared by alot of folks for 10 Coaches leaving in the last 15 seasons. The kids deserve better IMO.

Good point. Ten coaches in fifteen years is absurd. How many head coaches have the Lady Colonels had in the past fifteen years?