Ryle 7 CovCath 0

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final from Union. Great job, Raiders. It's not easy to shut out CovCath. Now go start over and get it done. We're pulling for you.

J C Collins gets his 7th win. The boys got back to Raider baseball tonight with EVERYONE contributing both on offense and defense. Go get em boys.

And good luck to CCH and HC Monday night, I know it will be a heck of a game.

Dan Koester started and struggled through the first inning giving up 2 runs. The pitches weren't horrible, just about 1/2 an inch below the knee. Along with some bad calls gives you a long first inning. Koester came back in the 2nd inning and I think walked the first 2 batters.

Matt Curtin came in the 2nd inning and pitched the next 3. Matt hasn't pitched in over a month due to an arm injury and rehab. He started the 6th inning and was tiring coach when called up Alex Smith to finish the 6th inning.

Congrats to the Raiders who outplayed CCH in every category! They executed almost every play that needed to be made with little exception. Don't know the pitcher, but he threw an absolutle beauty. He made a pretty prolific offensive bunch of Colonels look like a knothole team all night...Blesser and Ries are the only two exceptions I can remember....

Colonels, get your heads up...we play for keeps starting Monday! Good Luck Ryle...hopefully see you in about a week or so....

They threw 3-4 pitchers but I didn't pay attention to names. I guess I did not notice the bad calls either.

Wouldn't call them bad calls, but the strike zone to Koester (CovCath first pitcher) was a tad tight. There are low ball strike umpires, and high ball strike umpires, and it's the pitchers responsibility to understand the difference and to adjust, Koester didn't, but he also wasn't so low that as someone else said, wasn't off by much. He gets a umpire the next time that's a low ball caller, and that team won't be able to sit and wait for the pitch to come right down the middle, waist high. The man in Blue behind the plate wasn't a low ball umpire.....No complaints......

Congrats to the Ryle Pitcher, he threw an outstanding game. He is your number #1 or #2 guy? CovCath threw Koester yesterday so they could have all their top pitchers ready for Monday's match-up against Cov Holy Cross, that game is the most important game of the season for them, and most probably other than the Dunbar vs. Tate's Creek game, the best first round district match-up in the Commonwealth....

Next up for CovCath is Cov Holy Cross at Meinken in the first round of the 35th district. Game is at 6PM, but if you want a seat and a parking spot don't except to pull up 15 minutes prior to the start of the game and get either...

Wouldn't call them bad calls, but the strike zone to Koester (CovCath first pitcher) was a tad tight. There are low ball strike umpires, and high ball strike umpires, and it's the pitchers responsibility to understand the difference and to adjust, Koester didn't, but he also wasn't so low that as someone else said, wasn't off by much. He gets a umpire the next time that's a low ball caller, and that team won't be able to sit and wait for the pitch to come right down the middle, waist high. The man in Blue behind the plate wasn't a low ball umpire.....No complaints......

Congrats to the Ryle Pitcher, he threw an outstanding game. He is your number #1 or #2 guy? CovCath threw Koester yesterday so they could have all their top pitchers ready for Monday's match-up against Cov Holy Cross, that game is the most important game of the season for them, and most probably other than the Dunbar vs. Tate's Creek game, the best first round district match-up in the Commonwealth....

Next up for CovCath is Cov Holy Cross at Meinken in the first round of the 35th district. Game is at 6PM, but if you want a seat and a parking spot don't except to pull up 15 minutes prior to the start of the game and get either...

I think they had the same ump behind the plate when J C Collins was on the mound and he didn' t have any problem. All 3 of your pitchers seemed to struggle. As far as ranking, we have 3 or 4 guys that have not lost a game this year so it's hard to rank them. As far as we are concerned, they are all #1 when it's their day to pitch.

I wish it were, but no, it is at Covington Meinken the second worst field (IMO) that I have seen games played on this season. Beechwood is hands down the worst.....

Interesting. I agree about Beechwood, but what is it you find so distasteful about Meinken? It's not St. Henry obviously, but I've always felt it was a pretty nice field actually - certainly on par with the majority of NKY HS fields (which, as a collective group, are pretty unimpressive). I'd like to know if it's being poorly maintained, as my summer team has a couple games there this summer. thanks.

I think they had the same ump behind the plate when J C Collins was on the mound and he didn't have any problem. All 3 of your pitchers seemed to struggle. As far as ranking, we have 3 or 4 guys that have not lost a game this year so it's hard to rank them. As far as we are concerned, they are all #1 when it's their day to pitch.

DD, the man in Blue behind the plate was the same man for both I agree, but your missing my point, or the point I am trying to make. What I tried to say, your pitcher adjusted Koester didn't. The man in Blue wasn't a low ball strike ump, if he were, those balls would have been strikes as Koester hit the same spot time after time and they weren't off by much, from this umpires strike zone. I have seen strikes called on pitches much lower than what this umpire strike zone was, and that is why I said there are high strike zone umpires and low ball strike zone umpires and the pitcher must adjust, Koester didn't.

As far as the other pitcher, it was Matt Curtin first outing in weeks and considering this, IMO he pitched outstanding. He was the young man who beat Ryle at Champion Window 3-2, then pitched a shutout against Boone in his next outing, then came down with a sore arm, and hasn't pitched since. Great outing by him, he just got tired, as the game went on.... If he comes back healthy, and CovCath gets past Cov Holy Cross, it will be a huge plus for CovCath as they go farther in the tourney...

DD, the man in Blue behind the plate was the same man for both I agree, but your missing my point, or the point I am trying to make. What I tried to say, your pitcher adjusted Koester didn't. The man in Blue wasn't a low ball strike ump, if he were, those balls would have been strikes as Koester hit the same spot time after time and they weren't off by much, from this umpires strike zone. I have seen strikes called on pitches much lower than what this umpire strike zone was, and that is why I said there are high strike zone umpires and low ball strike zone umpires and the pitcher must adjust, Koester didn't.

As far as the other pitcher, it was Matt Curtin first outing in weeks and considering this, IMO he pitched outstanding. He was the young man who beat Ryle at Champion Window 3-2, then pitched a shutout against Boone in his next outing, then came down with a sore arm, and hasn't pitched since. Great outing by him, he just got tired, as the game went on.... If he comes back healthy, and CovCath gets past Cov Holy Cross, it will be a huge plus for CovCath as they go farther in the tourney...

If blue would have started calling strikes below the knee our hitters would have adusted. We have had to do it before. Collins is also a low ball pitcher but, as you said, he adjusted. That's what the first inning is all about. Seeing what blue is going to give you.