Is Troy Lee Thomas leaving Rowan Co?

How many all-OVC players did Mitchell recruit in his 2 years at MSU. The best player on the team was arguably a walk-on from Morehead. (Mealnie Cornett)

Pat Summitt seems to have done OK at Tennessee without any previous college coaching experience! Recruiting is about getting out and working anyway, just ask the men's program down at UK right now!!

I don't have the faintest idea who Mitchell recruited to Morehead, but it would be ridiculous to expect him to sign a player that would be an all-OVC pick as a freshman or sophomore. It will be interesting to see what his recruiting hauls look like in another year or two.

I don't have the faintest idea who Mitchell recruited to Morehead, but it would be ridiculous to expect him to sign a player that would be an all-OVC pick as a freshman or sophomore. It will be interesting to see what his recruiting hauls look like in another year or two.

Really??? It's ridiculous to expect the top assistant from UK to recruit a player to Morehead that would make all-OVC as a freshmen or sophomore, guess my expectations of his recruiting abilities were a little too high then!!!

I know one thing for sure - Troy Lee might not know everyone across the country, but he is a very likeable guy that would have NO problem meeting new people and talking basketball with them. He could recruit without any problems, IMO.

I agree 100% Wireman. I've known Coach Thomas' for a while and I can say he is one of the nicest people that I have ever met. He is a people person who cares for others. Helps with the youth group, Sunday School teacher, does it all. I know that he could sell his self to players all over the country. I guarentee that he would be a phenominal recruiter. I've always heard him say he would love to recruit someday at the college level. The energy he obtains is a different level. I guarentee that he knows high school and juco coaches right now all around the country.

I agree 100% Wireman. I've known Coach Thomas' for a while and I can say he is one of the nicest people that I have ever met. He is a people person who cares for others. Helps with the youth group, Sunday School teacher, does it all. I know that he could sell his self to players all over the country. I guarentee that he would be a phenominal recruiter. I've always heard him say he would love to recruit someday at the college level. The energy he obtains is a different level. I guarentee that he knows high school and juco coaches right now all around the country.

He is one of those people that you can't not like, if that makes sense. Even if you tried to not like him, he would "out-nice" you.:thumb:

There is one thing for sure about Coach Thomas and I don't know if anyone has ever seen him shoot a basketball but I will say he could shoot with the best of them in the country. Guarenteed!!!! I saw him myself plus a couple of other people witnessed it, we saw him make 49 3- pointers in a row at the top of the key at the AAC last year. I kid you not!!!!! Never seen anything like it.

There is one thing for sure about Coach Thomas and I don't know if anyone has ever seen him shoot a basketball but I will say he could shoot with the best of them in the country. Guarenteed!!!! I saw him myself plus a couple of other people witnessed it, we saw him make 49 3- pointers in a row at the top of the key at the AAC last year. I kid you not!!!!! Never seen anything like it.

He'll still admit to you that the best shooter around is Wireman :sssh:

I know one thing for sure - Troy Lee might not know everyone across the country, but he is a very likeable guy that would have NO problem meeting new people and talking basketball with them. He could recruit without any problems, IMO.

I agree 100% but from what I've heard the Morehead AD doesn't trust a high school coach's ability to recruit.

Daily Independent did an article on Coach Thomas 2 years ago about playing with Kentucky Wildcats (Barnstorm Tour) when he hit 9 3-pointers in a game. Not much defense I'm sure but pretty impressive. 135 3-pointers his senior year only is a lot of 3-pointers. He probably hit more 3's than a lot of teams combined.

How many all-OVC players did Mitchell recruit in his 2 years at MSU. The best player on the team was arguably a walk-on from Morehead. (Mealnie Cornett)

You kidding right? She had two chances and quit the team both times. The first time during conditioning and the last time during practice.

:fight:

I've been in a semi-retirement mode of late with respect to BGP, but this topic is worth the effort to dust off my keyboard.

When Coach Thomas begins to speak about basketball and particularly when he describes a players abilities, strengths, etc...it is exciting and infectious. I can't imagine kids not wanting to play for him. I suspect that had be been recruiting for Morehead the last couple of years one or two players in the 16th might have stayed closer to home.

I hope he gets the job and I wish him every success.

Exactly right, and I heard before she quit the last time that Mitchell made the statement she was the best player on the team.

I hate to hear that she quit. She was quite the player. Maybe if Troy gets the nod, she can walk on again. She obviously excelled under his direction.