A-Rod vs Bonds...

If A-Rod doesn't win a world series in NY and does stay there, it will be Maris all over again. The guy will be ready to break the most sought after record in all of sports and will get booed by his home fans...

I believe that it would be very different. A. He'd be breaking Barry Bonds record, twice removed from the Babe, which is the reason that Marris took so much heat. B. He's breaking Barry Bonds record and everyone dislikes Barry Bonds.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that it would be very different. A. He'd be breaking Barry Bonds record, twice removed from the Babe, which is the reason that Marris took so much heat. B. He's breaking Barry Bonds record and everyone dislikes Barry Bonds.

I think anyone who eventually breaks Barry's record won't be booed while doing it. Only time will tell though. But A-Rod definetly has the best chance to break it with the supporting cast around him.

I think Bonds stays around long enough to get 800...

Maybe. I think it depends how far off he is after this year. There's no guarantee he'll even break the record this year. He's only 20 away but let's face it. Giants field isn't the best place for left handed homerun hitters.

If A-Rod doesn't win a world series in NY and does stay there, it will be Maris all over again. The guy will be ready to break the most sought after record in all of sports and will get booed by his home fans...

You make a point with this, imo A-Rod will win a WS with the Yanks, probably more than one or two by the time he is done. Imo Maris didn't get his due in NY bc M. Mantle was the "golden boy" / fan favorite there. The Yankee fans even cheered against Maris in the HR chase in that one season. They didn't want Maris to hit more than "the Mick". The HBO movie "61" was very good and told the story of that season.

Sorry....But Pujols will be the HR King when he decides to hang them up.

I have to agree with the ones that said that if A-Rod stays a Yankee he has much better team around him and will see more pitches to hit. Pujos is already starting to be put on base some and imo that will only increase.