April 7, 200719 yr I stumbled across this and found it very interesting. This is a thesis, basically, concerning Adolph Rupp and tackling his racist reputation. With the OTS drama, and the syndicated shows painting Kentucky as a state one step removed from integration, I thought that Kentuckians would like to know about Rupp and some truths to debunct some myths. Caution: This is a very long read. However, it is well written and, apparently, well researched. Rupp wasn't a saint, but he was not a rampant racist and in comparison with southern schools, UK was fairly progressive. http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/rupp.html
April 7, 200719 yr There was a documentary done along these same lines on Rupp. I belive that it was called: Adolph Rupp, Facts, Myth and legend. This described much if not all of what was included in you very good read. Imo Rupp was more a "sign of the times" in the south during that time period. This documentary/film included the U.K. president at the time along with the SEC conference were more against african americans than Rupp was at this time period. Nice thread Mex, :thumb: Also, this film/dvd can be purchased at http://www.ukathletics.com . I believe that it still listed in the online store section. It is a very interesting film, well done and reasearched.
April 7, 200719 yr Rupp was the product of another era..good or bad..that is not for me to decide..But I find it ironic that our new coach was the coach of UTEP for awhile...a fact that I am sure the ESPN commentators will jump on! It's time we all moved forward...remember the past,but don't dwell on it.
April 7, 200719 yr It's time we all moved forward...remember the past,but don't dwell on it.Not happening with UK fans...:lol:
April 7, 200719 yr Not happening with UK fans...:lol: There ARE a few of us who are willing to try!!!!
April 7, 200719 yr Author The point of this is to show that a lot of what UK fans are sterotyped as has been majorly overblown by the media. The media plays on the stereotypes and then tries to tell the world that that is how we are. Everyone should be open minded except for the people who feed us what to believe.
April 7, 200719 yr Not happening with UK fans...:lol: It really helps when a UL fan can speak for the UK fan base. It makes it so much more accurate.
April 7, 200719 yr Rupp was the product of another era..good or bad..that is not for me to decide..But I find it ironic that our new coach was the coach of UTEP for awhile...a fact that I am sure the ESPN commentators will jump on! It's time we all moved forward...remember the past,but don't dwell on it. :thumb: :thumb: Some opposing fans along with the media just wait for a chance to jump all over anything they can about U.K..
April 7, 200719 yr It really helps when a UL fan can speak for the UK fan base. It makes it so much more accurate. :thumb: My point exactly with my last post. U.L. fans said it, so it must be true :sleep: :sleep:
April 7, 200719 yr Not happening with UK fans...:lol: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: From a completely non bias U.L. fan. :lol: Classic. :laugh:
April 7, 200719 yr :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: From a completely non bias U.L. fan. :lol: Classic. :laugh: I think I hear an echo........
April 7, 200719 yr The point of this is to show that a lot of what UK fans are sterotyped as has been majorly overblown by the media. The media plays on the stereotypes and then tries to tell the world that that is how we are. Everyone should be open minded except for the people who feed us what to believe. :thumb: You are correct Mex. You started a good thread and discussion about A. Rupp and that time period and then the hi jacking started. I am done with this one. Nice thread and it would have been some good discussion.
April 8, 200719 yr With a name like Adolph, he's a winner in my book. Seriously, who would name their kid Adolph. I wonder what fans thought about him during WW2, of course that was probably all erased after 48 and 49.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.