Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Track the Braves

Featured Replies

Come on, halfback20. It never hurts to "crow" when you are proven right. Shoot, that doesn't happen very often.;)

 

 

Right about what? Tex hasn't even played a half season with the Braves yet...

  • Replies 224
  • Views 16.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Right about what? Tex hasn't even played a half season with the Braves yet...

Ah to each their own HB20.

Right about what? Tex hasn't even played a half season with the Braves yet...

 

Oh. So those who said the trade would bring the playoffs to Atlanta are now applying a half-year rule. What excuse can we use next?

 

If I'm wrong, give some relevant facts to prove it. In light of his clutch performances, I would suggest changing "Big Tex" to "KTex".

Oh. So those who said the trade would bring the playoffs to Atlanta are now applying a half-year rule. What excuse can we use next?

 

If I'm wrong, give some relevant facts to prove it. In light of his clutch performances, I would suggest changing "Big Tex" to "KTex".

 

 

I'm not using any rules. I'm saying he hasn't played long enough for anyone to label him as anything. I think he's played very solid with the Braves. If you look at his play instead of just looking at numbers. I've seen him make more than a couple very good defensive plays and I'm not sure I've seen him commit an error in the field yet. Have you mentioned that in your rants? I don't think so.

 

Also...Atlanta could still make the playoffs you know.

I'm not using any rules. I'm saying he hasn't played long enough for anyone to label him as anything. I think he's played very solid with the Braves. If you look at his play instead of just looking at numbers. I've seen him make more than a couple very good defensive plays and I'm not sure I've seen him commit an error in the field yet. Have you mentioned that in your rants? I don't think so.

 

Also...Atlanta could still make the playoffs you know.

 

Of course Atlanta can still make the playoffs. So can Cincinnati.

 

Call it "ranting" if you wish. However, I call it "facts" and those facts indicate that the production of "KTex" has been what lawyers would call "irrelevant and immaterial" in regard to any wins.

 

I am not the one who was blowing about the trade bringing instant success. If you check back you will see that I strongly opposed it from the time it was first mentioned as a possibility. I'm consistent. You boys are hedging in your level of euphoria.

 

No rants here, halfback20, just confirming the facts. And, if I am wrong, I will, for the third time, request facts to that effect. Somehow playing errorless ball at first base for 21 games isn't overly impressive but, if that is all you have, go for it.

Of course Atlanta can still make the playoffs. So can Cincinnati.

 

Call it "ranting" if you wish. However, I call it "facts" and those facts indicate that the production of "KTex" has been what lawyers would call "irrelevant and immaterial" in regard to any wins.

 

I am not the one who was blowing about the trade bringing instant success. If you check back you will see that I strongly opposed it from the time it was first mentioned as a possibility. I'm consistent. You boys are hedging in your level of euphoria.

 

No rants here, halfback20, just confirming the facts. And, if I am wrong, I will, for the third time, request facts to that effect. Somehow playing errorless ball at first base for 21 games isn't overly impressive but, if that is all you have, go for it.

 

Cincinnati is all but eliminated at this point. They have very little chance...very little.

 

So playing good defense isn't really worth anything because it's over 21 games? But you can claim he's a terrible clutch hitter because he's struck out a few times in those same 21 games? He's playing good baseball.

 

Speaking of facts, maybe I'm forgetting, but have you provided any?

 

I'm not the least bit upset with the trade for Tex even today. He's a great hitter and solidifies the middle of the Braves lineup. Salty was a BACKUP for the Braves and might not ever be anything more. Brian MCann is a very good catcher, why not get something for Salty now?

Cincinnati is all but eliminated at this point. They have very little chance...very little.

 

So playing good defense isn't really worth anything because it's over 21 games? But you can claim he's a terrible clutch hitter because he's struck out a few times in those same 21 games? He's playing good baseball.

 

Speaking of facts, maybe I'm forgetting, but have you provided any?

 

I'm not the least bit upset with the trade for Tex even today. He's a great hitter and solidifies the middle of the Braves lineup. Salty was a BACKUP for the Braves and might not ever be anything more. Brian MCann is a very good catcher, why not get something for Salty now?

 

On the surface, it appears that "KTex" has accumulated an impressive number of homeruns and rbis since coming to Atlanta. However, a thorough review of his performance and the timing of his production clearly indicates that he has not delivered in the clutch. His presence has produced no wins for the Braves in games that they have won. They would have won without him. Those, my friend, are facts.

 

As for his performance at first base, it is obvious that you never played first base. Playing a string of errorless games there is not particularly difficult and I speak from the position of having been a first baseman for a goodly number of years.

 

Your last statement is shortsighted. Why not get something for "Salty"now? Well, to put that into perspective, you gave up Saltalamacchia, your top prospect, your second (Andrus) and third (Harrison) rated prospects, your eighth (Beau Jones) rated prospect, and another of your top twenty-five prospects. What did you get? You rented "KTex" for eighteen months and you got a 36 or 37 year old dud for your bullpen.

 

And, to top it off, you will still see your team go home at the end of the season- this year and next year. You have given up on winning the division. Now you are claiming the wildcard. Well, presently you are running fourth. You will say that you are only three games behind SD. However, in the all important loss column, you are four behind. And, those three teams ahead of you each have more than a two man pitching staff. Of course, they don't have "KTex", do they?

On the surface, it appears that "KTex" has accumulated an impressive number of homeruns and rbis since coming to Atlanta. However, a thorough review of his performance and the timing of his production clearly indicates that he has not delivered in the clutch. His presence has produced no wins for the Braves in games that they have won. They would have won without him. Those, my friend, are facts.

 

As for his performance at first base, it is obvious that you never played first base. Playing a string of errorless games there is not particularly difficult and I speak from the position of having been a first baseman for a goodly number of years.

 

Your last statement is shortsighted. Why not get something for "Salty"now? Well, to put that into perspective, you gave up Saltalamacchia, your top prospect, your second (Andrus) and third (Harrison) rated prospects, your eighth (Beau Jones) rated prospect, and another of your top twenty-five prospects. What did you get? You rented "KTex" for eighteen months and you got a 36 or 37 year old dud for your bullpen.

 

And, to top it off, you will still see your team go home at the end of the season- this year and next year. You have given up on winning the division. Now you are claiming the wildcard. Well, presently you are running fourth. You will say that you are only three games behind SD. However, in the all important loss column, you are four behind. And, those three teams ahead of you each have more than a two man pitching staff. Of course, they don't have "KTex", do they?

 

I give up :lol:. I think we should just agree to disagree...

 

BTW, the new nickname you created "Ktex"...while it is a nice attempt...it isn't very good IMO.

Tracking the Braves appears to be a very steady downhill trip.

 

Adam Wainwright, the Braves top choice in the 2000 draft and a Georgia native improved his record to 12-9 today giving up 1 run and 4 hits in 7 innings. The only problem for the Braves is that Wainwright was part of the J.D. Drew trade and he pitches for the Cardinals. Drew did hit a homerun today but it was for the Red Sox. Those short term rental deals don't tend to work out.

Tracking the Braves appears to be a very steady downhill trip.

 

Adam Wainwright, the Braves top choice in the 2000 draft and a Georgia native improved his record to 12-9 today giving up 1 run and 4 hits in 7 innings. The only problem for the Braves is that Wainwright was part of the J.D. Drew trade and he pitches for the Cardinals. Drew did hit a homerun today but it was for the Red Sox. Those short term rental deals don't tend to work out.

 

 

You act like the Braves didn't win 13 or 14 or whatever number it was straight division titles...

You act like the Braves didn't win 13 or 14 or whatever number it was straight division titles...

 

It was fourteen and I don't deny it in any way. I further don't deny that they only won one world series during that 14 year run- lots of 2.0 averages but only once on the dean's list.

 

I also don't deny that they are 11-13 since their latest fiasco.

 

Do you deny that the Wainwright trade as well as several other shortsighted, self-centered trades by your general manager have turned out to be disasters?

 

Finally, do you deny that the Braves are all heading for home after the last regular season game?

 

The facts speak for themselves.

It was fourteen and I don't deny it in any way. I further don't deny that they only won one world series during that 14 year run- lots of 2.0 averages but only once on the dean's list.

 

I also don't deny that they are 11-13 since their latest fiasco.

 

Do you deny that the Wainwright trade as well as several other shortsighted, self-centered trades by your general manager have turned out to be disasters?

 

Finally, do you deny that the Braves are all heading for home after the last regular season game?

 

The facts speak for themselves.

 

Wainwright trade a disaster?

 

I do not think the Braves are out of the playoff race either.

 

You consider 14 straight division titles a 2.0? :lol:

Wainwright trade a disaster? And you don't?

 

I do not think the Braves are out of the playoff race either. Bank on it.

 

You consider 14 straight division titles a 2.0? :lol:

Absolutely. They are widely know as the Buffalo Bills of baseball. That is not because of the color of their uniforms.:cool:

In all seriousness, and not because I'm a Braves fan, what the Bill achieved is nothing to be scoffed at. They lost 4 straight Super Bowls, which earned them infamy, but the fact is that they made 4 straight Super Bowls. That feat is unmatched, and there are several franchises that have not even made one single Super Bowl. There can be only one team that ends the champ. It is quite a feat to finish in second 4 straight times even if Norwood cost them that one that would have put this talk to rest.

 

A lot is made of the Braves failure to win more than the one World Series, and with good reason. They constantly had the best pitching in baseball for most of the 90s but either ran into better teams (Minnesota Twins, Toronto Blue Jays, New York Yankees), or just choked it away at one stage or another. Five times they won 100+ games and didn't make the World Series, and a couple of times didn't even make the NLCS. None of these things can be sugar coated.

 

However, people act like 14 straight division titles (or even 14 in 15 years if you count the strike season as a miss) just happens every day. It does not. The Yankees are the only ones to come close to this with 10 out of 11 years, which will likely be extended to 10 of 12 this year. If it were such a pedestrian accomplishment then it would be more common. If the Braves get a 2.0 for every division title, then the vast, VAST majority of the teams in baseball either have year after year of D's or F's. Would it be better for the Braves to have turned in more mediocre years like the last 2 than have the success they did?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.