16th Region KABC Coach and Player of the Year:

Vanhoose only attended one high school' date=' although he played for two...but what's that got to do with anything???[/quote']

Just mentioning that Daniel's only went to one school, that was not meant as a slam towards Vanhoose. The coaches made their choice and they would have been hard pressed to have done better. 4.1 in the classroom, over 20 points per game, nearly 8 rebounds per game and over 80 percent from the foul line, pretty good stats, as good or better than what anyone had in the region this year.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All three are good players, no doubt. But the coaches, and I am not sure who else may vote on this, picked Matthew Daniel. I am just glad that this is an award that the coaches get to vote on, not just the media. I like to think that the coaches, who have to prepare for these players, know a lot more than the media does.

Just mentioning that Daniel's only went to one school, that was not meant as a slam towards Vanhoose. The coaches made their choice and they would have been hard pressed to have done better. 4.1 in the classroom, over 20 points per game, nearly 8 rebounds per game and over 80 percent from the foul line, pretty good stats, as good or better than what anyone had in the region this year.

When did this become relevant to a basketball award? Different schools have different academic standards and achievements. The question is, "What is his ACT or SAT score?" That would be a national standardized test which would be more impressive than a GPA from any local school.

Bandit, If you want to go stat for stat. Neither would be POY, that award would go to Euton or Jackson from the Hill, so that is a worthless argument.

I like both picks by the coaches, but I sure wish Rex Cooksey & Vanhoose got these awards.

Cooksey and Vanhoose did great jobs as well as Hicks and and a few other coaches and players. All of the coaches picked and selected Daniel and Mays. Super job and leave it that.

Ask Cooksey and Vanhoose and they are probably happy for those guys, let it be. If you want a say so, go coach somewhere.

GPA should matter that is why they are student/athletes. It is a basketball award but he would not have had a shot at this award if he was scoring 30 and had a 1.5gpa because he would have not been eligible.

Cooksey and Vanhoose did great jobs as well as Hicks and and a few other coaches and players. All of the coaches picked and selected Daniel and Mays. Super job and leave it that.

Ask Cooksey and Vanhoose and they are probably happy for those guys, let it be. If you want a say so, go coach somewhere.

GPA should matter that is why they are student/athletes. It is a basketball award but he would not have had a shot at this award if he was scoring 30 and had a 1.5gpa because he would have not been eligible.

It is a basketball player of the year award. It is not a student/athlete award. In this day and age of social promotion and similar touchy, feely programs, it is unlikely that anyone has a 1.5 GPA in high school. However, if he/she did and averaged 30 ppg, he/she should be a serious candidate for POY.

Academic honorees are not required to exhibit any athletic ability. Athletic honorees should not be, and normally are not, required to exhibit academic ability. I doubt that GPAs had any influence on who got this award and, though it is not particularly important in this matter, I am confident that VanHoose, McDavid, Barker, and several more have very fine GPAs. I do know that the three named were excellent students while at Rose Hill.

This is a basketball award, however it's amazing how other things factor into the equation. It's as much a popularity contest as anything, and should be looked at as so, especially from the players' and their parents' point of view.

No offense to the Daniels kid either!!! He's a class act and deserved this award, as well as did several others.

Well, if it is a basketball award and has nothing to do with academics then the voters felt that Matthew Daniel was the best choice as a basketball player. Vanhoose, McDavid and some others had great years but the people "in the know" decided that Daniel's year was better.

Great choice of words. You know what, you are probably right. I'm sure everyone voted objectively and noone, absolutely noone, had anything against any of the players who also deserved the award but didn't get it. What was I thinking that this could maybe have happened

:creepy:

Oh, so since the award did not go to Vanhoose it had nothing to do with Daniel's great year, it had to be something personal that the voters had against Vanhoose, McDavid or one of the other outstanding senior players in our region, right? People, Matthew Daniel year in and year out has been outstanding the last 3-4 years and this year was excellent especially in light of the lack of a great supporting cast. McDavid had Thomas and Wilcox; Vanhoose had Gill, Blair and Robinson. Daniel had no players as good as those on his team. To think that he got this award for something personal the voters may have had against another team or player is a little reach.

While I agree Matt deserved the award, I disagree that he didn't have good players around him. Matt Martin could play for anyone and Callihan and Rogers were great role players. I feel they were a better team with Chris (last name) in the middle.