Jim Rome's take on Tubby...

goherd96

Rome is chiming in like everyone else and basically saying the obvious. Recruiting has been a problem as far as being consistent. I think if you look at our team we are 1 or 2 quality interior players away from being a very good basketball team.

A few more "intelligent" basketball players would be nice...

Funny thing on the whole recruiting aspect is Billy D's view of it.

Herald Leader interviewed Dononvan when KY had Hayes and on top and Billy D had the foreign player leave mid season and several defections to the NBA.

Billy D talked about needing to recruit more like Tubby. A good group that is talented but NOT the type that was going to go straight to the NBA after 1 or 2 seasons. I specifically remember him saying that he was impressed that Tubby did it right by developing a group that as juniors and seniors could make runs to the National title.

And here Billy D is doing EXACTLY what HE said was Tubby's recruiting plan. He took a group that weren't McD's AA's and developed them and made a strong run as juniors and seniors by winning one national title and favorite for a second.

Tubby's juniors have been a disappointment.

So the recruiting mindset that worked for Hayes is the same recruiting mindset that has worked for Florida. Why is it not working for UK? Check the disappointing junior class.

1 or 2 interior players, maybe one or two guards as well there. I will go out on a limb and say that bradley has won some games for uk with last second heroics, I dare say that he has lost a lot more than he has helped them win. Intelligent players win tournaments. Athletically UK may have some of the finest athletes in the country but their basketball IQ may not be up to par.

So the recruiting mindset that worked for Hayes is the same recruiting mindset that has worked for Florida. Why is it not working for UK? Check the disappointing junior class.

Because the only thing Tubby has "developed" during his time at UK is a larger forehead........

We can name 1000 things that could be wrong but the main point is we dont get better as the season goes on, if anything we get worse. The good/great coaches, no matter what school, have their teams playing best at end of year/tourney time. We just dont do that.

Thank you for wasting 20 seconds of my life with your keen insight.:rolleyes:

Why waste our time with smart-alec comments. How about you defend your case. The fact is that Billy and Tubby are peers and friends. Billy isn't going to bash Tubby and vice versa. However, unless Billy has decided he wants to be the coach at UK supporting Tubby is in UF's best interest at this point. Billy knows that if it comes down to the Gators and the Cats with a star recruit he will most likely win the battle. It wasn't always that way.

Why waste our time with smart-alec comments. How about you defend your case. The fact is that Billy and Tubby are peers and friends. Billy isn't going to bash Tubby and vice versa. However, unless Billy has decided he wants to be the coach at UK supporting Tubby is in UF's best interest at this point. Billy knows that if it comes down to the Gators and the Cats with a star recruit he will most likely win the battle. It wasn't always that way.[/QUOTE]

I would disagree.

Donovan has consistently over the past 6-8 years, gotten the higher profile recruits over Tubby. The difference is that Florida, they didn't bring them a title. Now they did get to the final game with a stud at center(can't remeber his name right now, left after his freshmen year to go pro.) But while Donovan got the top star guys like Hakeem Akubar, Tubby got guys like Erik Daniels and Gerald Fitch. Now UK did not win a title with those two, but was more sucessful. The year that Tubby gets the higher rated class(Rondo, Morris, Crawford) over Donovan(Noah, Horford, Green, Brewer) the sucess is reversed. Tubby and Donovan have had more sucess without getting the highest of high profile recruits.

Why waste our time with smart-alec comments. How about you defend your case. The fact is that Billy and Tubby are peers and friends. Billy isn't going to bash Tubby and vice versa. However, unless Billy has decided he wants to be the coach at UK supporting Tubby is in UF's best interest at this point. Billy knows that if it comes down to the Gators and the Cats with a star recruit he will most likely win the battle. It wasn't always that way.[/QUOTE]

I would disagree.

Donovan has consistently over the past 6-8 years, gotten the higher profile recruits over Tubby. The difference is that Florida, they didn't bring them a title. Now they did get to the final game with a stud at center(can't remeber his name right now, left after his freshmen year to go pro.) But while Donovan got the top star guys like Hakeem Akubar, Tubby got guys like Erik Daniels and Gerald Fitch. Now UK did not win a title with those two, but was more sucessful. The year that Tubby gets the higher rated class(Rondo, Morris, Crawford) over Donovan(Noah, Horford, Green, Brewer) the sucess is reversed. Tubby and Donovan have had more sucess without getting the highest of high profile recruits.

My comment was directed more at UK vs. UF.

Why waste our time with smart-alec comments. How about you defend your case. The fact is that Billy and Tubby are peers and friends. Billy isn't going to bash Tubby and vice versa. However, unless Billy has decided he wants to be the coach at UK supporting Tubby is in UF's best interest at this point. Billy knows that if it comes down to the Gators and the Cats with a star recruit he will most likely win the battle. It wasn't always that way.

It wasn't that way when Donovan made those comments.