Interesting article about steps to improve basketball/ sports at Grant County

You guys all make good points. Grant Coutny is suffering the same problem alot of Rural communities face. No YMCA or Boys Club or Church Leagues. If they don't make school team they don't play. How is the kid supposed to get any better? I agree all kids should get developed. Fact is More suburban and urban places have those resources and leagues where all kids can play and then maybe get better. Places like Grant and others do not. You have to do the best you can with what you have.

You guys all make good points. Grant Coutny is suffering the same problem alot of Rural communities face. No YMCA or Boys Club or Church Leagues. If they don't make school team they don't play. How is the kid supposed to get any better? I agree all kids should get developed. Fact is More suburban and urban places have those resources and leagues where all kids can play and then maybe get better. Places like Grant and others do not. You have to do the best you can with what you have.

Sports of All Sorts on Mt. Zion Road in Florence is about 20 minutes straight north on I75. They have recreational leagues year round for ages up through middle school.

Sports of All Sorts on Mt. Zion Road in Florence is about 20 minutes straight north on I75. They have recreational leagues year round for ages up through middle school.

I was just about to make that point--Even closer from the northern parts of the county. Sounds like some parents need to take some time and organize a couple of middle school level teams, or just sign the kids up for a team? I know lots of folks who consistantly drive further for AAU, YBOA, etc. tourneys!!

I was just about to make that point--Even closer from the northern parts of the county. Sounds like some parents need to take some time and organize a couple of middle school level teams, or just sign the kids up for a team? I know lots of folks who consistantly drive further for AAU, YBOA, etc. tourneys!!

I recommend this program highly. Any church in Grant County with a gym could host it and it is a wonderful program.

http://www.upward.org

Again, there is no church with a gym in Grant County.

Also, Kinmon gets blamed for the problems but then it is suggested that parents take their kids to SOAS.

Is it Kinmon's fault that parents don't do that?

I know for a fact that Grant had 2 grade levels play at SOAS this winter. Those chosen kids though will be the ones that make the team in high school!

There is where the problem lies!!!

Some parents take their kids and are involved and those kids make the team. The parents who don't get involved their child never gets better and then they blame the coach.

Again, there is no church with a gym in Grant County.

Also, Kinmon gets blamed for the problems but then it is suggested that parents take their kids to SOAS.

Is it Kinmon's fault that parents don't do that?

I know for a fact that Grant had 2 grade levels play at SOAS this winter. Those chosen kids though will be the ones that make the team in high school!

There is where the problem lies!!!

Some parents take their kids and are involved and those kids make the team. The parents who don't get involved their child never gets better and then they blame the coach.

One of those girls teams was coached by a parent.

Any of the parents of the kids who are left out form a team and go play.

Also, SOAS has teams for those players WHO DON'T COME ON A TEAM. They form them and provide the coaches. ONE PLAYER can sign up with them.

On the bolded,

AMEN!

I spoke with Coach Kinmon and he is very discouraged about the perception of the article and comments made here on BG Preps. Coach Kinmon has repeatedly asked for 2 middle school teams per grade level and funding and gym space will not allow this.

He also stated that there are no gyms in the county other than school gyms so many kids that do not get to play on the school teams quit playing at an early age. He has no control over that.

He mentioned that he got involved in the elementary program and has over 150 boys playing basketball in grades 2-5. The school cuts down to 14 in 6th grade, what can he do about that?

Are there no churches with gyms that could be used for youth leagues? I know of 7 or 8 churches with gyms in Corbin, so it would surprise me if there were not any in all of Grant County.

To answer the gym question. we have 4 elementary schools all of which have gyms, 1 middle school and 2 high school gyms. There are no churches with gyms in the county. The problem is getting coaches , parents and other to commit the time and effort to get programs off the ground and to keep them going , so that they will do some good in the future. These problems can not be solved overnight, but with some dedication, effort and time given, things could start to change. The one program that proves this point is the youth football program. Because of the time, effort and determination. the program is growing by leaps and bounds. Also the head football coach from the high school is very involved with it now, instead of talking a good game and then not producing or helping out as in the past. I hope alot of the people from GC read this post and it will set in and maybe get some of them thinking of the future. There is alot of good kids with talent going by the way side, because of these problems.

WTownRaiderFan have you ever been to Grant County High School gym on a Saturday morning in October and November? Coach Kinmon and his staff ref elementary basketball and have over 150 boys playing and over 100 girls playing and about 50 cheerleaders. W-town kids can't participate because it is ran by Grant County Schools. Maybe you should get your facts straight before throwing stones.

Sandman, you make a good point about Campbell and Holmes. I know Campbell Co has an A and B team in middle school. How many kids in Holmes district play at the Y or other leagues in the county.

Your right Campbell County has two teams in middle school. I'd guess most of the Holmes kids can be found playing at Randolph, Goebel, or one of the other city parks more often than in other leagues. I think Wade YMCA closed a few years back, what a shame because that was a fun place to play back in the day.

As far as the article, I really don't think it was intended to be critical of Kinmon, or any other coach. It was one-sided, vague, lacking in depth, and fairly pointless, but I don't think it was mean-spirited. I know none of my posts on this subject were meant as a knock, simply a general observation.

I also know that SOAS is closer to many folks in Grant County than many folks in Campbell County. That doesn't stop the Campbell County (future Camels, Breds, Birds, and Mustangs especially) teams from showing up in droves.

Any parent can start their own team, volunteer to coach, get some gym time at an elementary school, practice dribbling, passing, and shooting once a week and go play every weekend. If that's not happening in Grant County the blame has to fall squarely on any parent of a 8 to 13 year-old who wants to play but isn't.

The teacher/coach turnover at Grant Co. is unbelievable for a school this size.! The HS principal has made work conditions so bad and the morale of the staff is so low that very few want to stay. She definitely doesn't appreciate the efforts of the coaches and teachers. We have lost a lot of good people because of her. Something has to change and it should start at the top.

I honestly believe that Grant Co. has its best playing in all their sports. There is not alot of good players or athletes here. Not saying a good coach would not change some of that. Kinmon is a good coach as well as good person. I will have to say that this sportswriter is not very sports minded and seems to be misinformed alot. I have read many of his articles and it seems that the he was put in this position just for the job. Grant Co. news has not done a good job of getting a good sportswriter. I am sorry it sounds more like an article from an irate parent to me.

WTownRaiderFan have you ever been to Grant County High School gym on a Saturday morning in October and November? Coach Kinmon and his staff ref elementary basketball and have over 150 boys playing and over 100 girls playing and about 50 cheerleaders. W-town kids can't participate because it is ran by Grant County Schools. Maybe you should get your facts straight before throwing stones.

Just to set the record straight on this issue, coach kinmon did run the youth program up until this year, they had to find someone else, a board member I beleive to run the youth league for them this year. I do beleive coach kinmon did coach a team a SOAS, that his 2nd grader played on. Great dad. Ron Kinmon is a great man and a great coach. A lot of the kids in grant are involved in other things besides sports. They have a huge 4-h group and farming is still big in Grant Co. Just because kids choose not to stey involved or the parents don't do theri job as a parent is not a coaches fault. he can't help the fact that there is only one gym at the high school. they play baasketball all year in Grant, at all grade level, with traveling teams and such. People should be glad they have coaches like Ron Kinmon and Mike Davis in their school, teaching these kids about life and how to be good young men. I am pleased that my child plays sports at Grant Co. and I am very involved with my own kids, could things be better facility wise and such, I just think that Wayne Yeager showed some cowardly ways and best of luck to the next community that gets him. If you have issue you face themm like a man, not behind your pen.

Just to set the record straight on this issue, coach kinmon did run the youth program up until this year, they had to find someone else, a board member I beleive to run the youth league for them this year. I do beleive coach kinmon did coach a team a SOAS, that his 2nd grader played on. Great dad. Ron Kinmon is a great man and a great coach. A lot of the kids in grant are involved in other things besides sports. They have a huge 4-h group and farming is still big in Grant Co. Just because kids choose not to stey involved or the parents don't do theri job as a parent is not a coaches fault. he can't help the fact that there is only one gym at the high school. they play baasketball all year in Grant, at all grade level, with traveling teams and such. People should be glad they have coaches like Ron Kinmon and Mike Davis in their school, teaching these kids about life and how to be good young men. I am pleased that my child plays sports at Grant Co. and I am very involved with my own kids, could things be better facility wise and such, I just think that Wayne Yeager showed some cowardly ways and best of luck to the next community that gets him. If you have issue you face themm like a man, not behind your pen.

Good post - but I was hoping this one was gone to the 2nd page - not to be heard from again.

Total cheap shot by the reporter. He's probably got a nephew on the 2nd grade team Ron coached who didn't get to play enough.

Kinmon loves Grant County - played there with heart and coaches with heart. GC is lucky to have some stability in the program. It could easily be the revolving door that some of these other places have - but Ron has given stability to a place many would have left for greener pastures - especially after Tyler Jones year. I'm sure he had a few offers.

GC should appreciate what they've got - I don't think too many high caliber coaches would be lining up to take Ron's place.