Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Downs retires from Bardstown Head Coaching pos.

Featured Replies

Today, Coach Joey Downs announced to his players that he would be retiring as of today. Downs coached for 17 years at Bardstown and touched many kids, he will be missed to say the least. One can only speculate as to who the next Head Coach will be, but I believe the top candidate is offensive coordinator and athletic director, Coach David Clark.

Coach Downs had a lot of good years as coach and I wish him well.

 

Does anyone know if he will still be the head Coach of the KY All Stars?

 

Also, who can tell us about Coach Clark?

  • Author

Yes, He and Coach Ron Koontz will still Coach the Kentucky All-Star team. I can tell you some things about Clark, what would you like to know?

Today, Coach Joey Downs announced to his players that he would be retiring as of today. Downs coached for 17 years at Bardstown and touched many kids, he will be missed to say the least. One can only speculate as to who the next Head Coach will be, but I believe the top candidate is offensive coordinator and athletic director, Coach David Clark.

 

this is a shocker!!!! bardstown had such a great season this year what brought this on all of a sudden!!!!

Coach Downs had a lot of good years as coach and I wish him well.

 

Does anyone know if he will still be the head Coach of the KY All Stars?

 

Also, who can tell us about Coach Clark?

 

i know the kids respond to clark pretty well. he did a nice job with the qb this year (smith???)

Joey Downs is only the third Tiger coach since 1918. He has had an exceptional run. He has weathered good time and bad, and always been competetive. His teams have always been feared for their speed and tenacious defense. This is truly a sad day in Bardstown.

 

I am a little floored by this, so I'll reserve for more comments later. However, on a personal level I know his reasons for leaving are multiple and solid, not the least of which is that he will now have more time to ride his motorcycle and see places he hasn't seen before.

 

May the road rise to meet your feet, Coach.

Joey Downs is only the third Tiger coach since 1918. He has had an exceptional run. He has weathered good time and bad, and always been competetive. His teams have always been feared for their speed and tenacious defense. This is truly a sad day in Bardstown.

 

I am a little floored by this, so I'll reserve for more comments later. However, on a personal level I know his reasons for leaving are multiple and solid, not the least of which is that he will now have more time to ride his motorcycle and see places he hasn't seen before.

 

May the road rise to meet your feet, Coach.

 

:thumb:

 

i have always enjoyed watching b-town run by other teams. coach downs had some great teams when i was a little kid with william redd and reggie boggs. this is truly sad.

Clark's a great guy and coach. He'll do well down there and has a great offensive mind.

Yes, He and Coach Ron Koontz will still Coach the Kentucky All-Star team. I can tell you some things about Clark, what would you like to know?

 

What changes do you see Coach Clark making and what is his history as a player and a coach?

Joey Downs is only the third Tiger coach since 1918.

 

Amazing stat. :thumb:

Amazing stat. :thumb:

 

Actually, I think I mis-quoted, I think it was 1928, but still . . .

What changes do you see Coach Clark making and what is his history as a player and a coach?

 

IF he's named as Head Coach, I'm not sure what changes would be made, if any.

 

David played at Bowling Green High School, graduated I think in 1992. Played quarterback at Centre College under Joe McDaniel, started for 3 seasons. Graduated 1996. Joined Bardstown in 1997, where he is a History/Civics teacher. Started as quarterbacks coach, later worked up to offensive coordinator. Got a ring with John Wesley Monin and the undefeated AA champs in 2001. Named AD in 2005, I believe.

Actually, I think I mis-quoted, I think it was 1928, but still . . .
... a very impressive stat.
IF he's named as Head Coach, I'm not sure what changes would be made, if any.

 

David played at Bowling Green High School, graduated I think in 1992. Played quarterback at Centre College under Joe McDaniel, started for 3 seasons. Graduated 1996. Joined Bardstown in 1997, where he is a History/Civics teacher. Started as quarterbacks coach, later worked up to offensive coordinator. Got a ring with John Wesley Monin and the undefeated AA champs in 2001. Named AD in 2005, I believe.

Oh, that David Clark. As the QB at Bowling Green, he engineered a huge upset of a very talented Paducah Tilghman team in the 3A quarterfinals in 1991.

 

How big an upset was it? That Tilghman team had several Division I-A players (Billy Jack Haskins, Norman Mason and Michael Woodfork went to UK and a defensive lineman went to Illinois) and several I-AA guys. Tilghman beat two of the three state champions in Tennessee that year (Brentwood Academy and nationally-ranked Oak Ridge), both on the road. One of the best teams in Kentucky that didn't win a state title.

Congrats to Coach Downs on a great 17 years.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.