Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Interim?

Featured Replies

I see speculation on certain jobs that they may hire an interim. I don’t really understand that. In public schools, we are all on a one year contract. Why would there ever be a reason to say this Coach is an interim? I’m not trying to make a point I really just don’t understand.

13 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

I see speculation on certain jobs that they may hire an interim. I don’t really understand that. In public schools, we are all on a one year contract. Why would there ever be a reason to say this Coach is an interim? I’m not trying to make a point I really just don’t understand.

To me Interim=We really didn't like or believe in this Coach, it's just all we could find. 

Which sends a terrible message to the Players and Parents. It's a very bad cop out by the administration.

1 minute ago, BBHCEAGLE said:

To me Interim=We really didn't like or believe in this Coach, it's just all we could find. 

Which sends a terrible message to the Players and Parents. It's a very bad cop out by the administration.

I agree, interim doesn't indicate a lot of faith. 

Ironically, the person I think of first when I hear interim is Kevin Wallace at Bowling Green.  His first year was under the interim tag due to a lot of controversy that came about after Dan Haley stepped down following the 1995 state championship.  Coach Wallace led the team to an 11-1 record and second round finish in 1996, and they removed the tag.  But he went on to become the longest tenured and winningest coach in the school's history.  He has more than double the amount of wins as any other coach, and his .861 win percentage is the highest by .078 (so a lot). Interim worked out well there.

  • Author

May 28, 1992. Paris HS Library. Our head coach, Roger Gruneisen, has just taken the job at our rival, Bourbon County. They introduce me as the new head coach.

Our Principal was Coach Homer Goins. He was one of Charlie Bradshaw's Thin Thirty and won a state title at Paris has HFC in 1973. 

Coach Goins turns to my OL coach near the doorway and says, "We did the right thing today. But, it's not like we can't make a change a year from now if we need to." ?

Robbie Lucas was hired as the interim head coach in 2009 at Somerset. He led the Briar Jumpers to a 14-1 record and a State Runner-Up finish.  He finished with 7 Regional Titles, a State Runner-Up, and Somerset's first State Championship (of the playoff era) in 2019. 

53 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

I see speculation on certain jobs that they may hire an interim. I don’t really understand that. In public schools, we are all on a one year contract. Why would there ever be a reason to say this Coach is an interim? I’m not trying to make a point I really just don’t understand.

While I get your point, the situation might be that the school lacks teaching positions, lacks quality applicants, or its too late in the process for someone to leave and an "interim" agrees to do it for one year - they make themselves the interim.

I also think the language used on this board tends to be like what we say regarding college and professional jobs, especially after firings, and probably not the best way to describe a high school coach making a few thousand extra dollars.

Sadly all coaching jobs are “interim” anymore.

Contracts not worth the paper they are written on and Administration are so scared of a few loud parents.

Coaching used to be a noble profession (and still is) but it’s a one way street now. Make the well heeled happy or find a new place to coach.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.