Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

USC.....investigated again...

Featured Replies

It was pointed out that the university will not bend or break its rules, just to get a shot at a BCS title.

Keep drinking the

 

 

 

koolaid.jpg

Read the thread about how AAU coaches have set up IRS-approved "charitable foundations" to receive contributions form boosters or what-have-you in exchange for selling their players. The coaches get the money out by drawing a "salary" as the head of the foundation/charity.

 

As an aside, what is the rationale for athletic scholarships anyway? Why not just do away with them (not that would eliminate cheating but it might help)? If you are going to give scholarships, doesn't it make more sense to give them for academic reasons? Let the pro leagues pay for and develop their own superior athletes. What is wrong with having all college athletics operate similar to NCAA Divison III -- no athletic scholarships? College fans would still support their respective teams and the kids would still enjoy playing.

I don't know why they don't do it like D-III. Normally, when I am unable to ascertain the NCAA's reasoning on an issue the answer is always...money.

 

I guess many of the "student athletes" couldn't afford to go to college then. Athletics is their way out of poverty and into college.

Talk about exploitation 1a with no scholarships that would be slavery.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Read the thread about how AAU coaches have set up IRS-approved "charitable foundations" to receive contributions form boosters or what-have-you in exchange for selling their players. The coaches get the money out by drawing a "salary" as the head of the foundation/charity.

 

As an aside, what is the rationale for athletic scholarships anyway? Why not just do away with them (not that would eliminate cheating but it might help)? If you are going to give scholarships, doesn't it make more sense to give them for academic reasons? Let the pro leagues pay for and develop their own superior athletes. What is wrong with having all college athletics operate similar to NCAA Divison III -- no athletic scholarships? College fans would still support their respective teams and the kids would still enjoy playing.

Amen. I couldn't agree with you more.

On the Virginia message board when talking about what football recruits they got, many people were upset that they didn't get a real top flight class. It was pointed out that the university will not bend or break its rules, just to get a shot at a BCS title.

 

It's no surprise that Virginia hasn't really challenged nationally in any of the major sports. Basketball, Football. They have pretty high academic standards and lose players because of that and since they will likely rarely if ever bend their rules, they will just get what they can get.

 

I'm sure there are schools that have won and done it the right way. I would rather Virginia be 8-4 and go to a decent bowl as opposed to cheating just to get a shot at a big money bowl game. Really not worth it in the long run.

Sorry but as a guy that grew up in ACC country and a father of a UVA student I must say you are giving Mr. Jefferson's School a little too much credit. The pressure to win is pretty great at UVA. They are looking pretty good at the moment but if they continue at the same pace they have the past few years the basketball coach will be canned (he won't be the first). When a coach's job is on the line the temptation to bend the rules is great. The guys at UVA aren't immuned to that pressure. FYI, UVA has taken plenty of iffy kids out of Tidewater Virginia in years past. The fact is that Tech is just out recruiting them over the past decade or so.

Sorry but as a guy that grew up in ACC country and a father of a UVA student I must say you are giving Mr. Jefferson's School a little too much credit. The pressure to win is pretty great at UVA. They are looking pretty good at the moment but if they continue at the same pace they have the past few years the basketball coach will be canned (he won't be the first). When a coach's job is on the line the temptation to bend the rules is great. The guys at UVA aren't immuned to that pressure. FYI, UVA has taken plenty of iffy kids out of Tidewater Virginia in years past. The fact is that Tech is just out recruiting them over the past decade or so.

 

Well you are more in the know than me, I know it was mentioned above regarding sanctions. I know there were off the court problems which led to Jeff Jones departure and I believe one kid either got kicked off the team or transferred, not to mention Jeff had a hard time winning on the court. I know Gillen was fired because he couldn't win consistently enough.

 

I understand being a major D-1 school there is pressure like anywhere else, I just hope they don't stoop really low just to win. Someone above mentioned to me to keep drinking the kool-aid lol. I'm sure Virginia has and will in the future cheat or bend the rules. I would like to think that at the end of the day they would be better than that. In that case, maybe I am drinking too much of the kool-aid. lol

Wow, this makes a few time now that USC has been investigated or supposed to be. If this is true something NEEDS to be done!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.