Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bowling Green 73 South Oldham 51 (KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16®)

Featured Replies

Domination by the Purples who advance to their third appearance in a state title game.  They'll meet the winner of Great Crossing and Montgomery County, both of whom would be making their first appearance in the finals.

It really was domination, congrats BG, rest up!!

  • Author

Bowling Green was 60% from the floor for the game, shooting 27/45.  They shot exactly 60% in both halves.  They were 8/14 from three, going only 1/3 in the second half, but by that point, they didn't need to worry about shooting threes.  They were 11/15 from the line, including 8/10 in the final quarter.  Joe Hurt led all scorers with 26, breaking through after a very quiet first two games.  Luke Idlett set the tone early, going 4/5 from three in the first half - he didn't score in the second half, ending up with 12 as the second highest Purple scorer. 

South Oldham shot 35% from the floor for the game, going 21/60.  They were an atrocious 8/35 from three, shooting 22.9% on a shot that comprised 58% of their total attempts.  Not gonna win like that.  They also went just 1/5 from the line, not getting there much due to the shot selection, and then not even doing well when they got there.  Miles was the only Dragon to get into double figures, with 18, on respectable 4/12 shooting from three and going 7/18 from the field. 

Dominant effort from the Purples, and a welcome one for a team that had to sweat their way through two overtime games to open the tournament.

One of the more improbable/unexpected runs I can think of a Bowling Green team going on in my lifetime regardless of sport.

  • Author
47 minutes ago, BillNye said:

One of the more improbable/unexpected runs I can think of a Bowling Green team going on in my lifetime regardless of sport.

I think it is pretty analogous so far to 2014/15.  The sole difference being that year I felt Bowling Green was better than Warren Central all along, whereas I think Central was the favorite this year, or at least certainly was by the time they beat Bowling Green a second time.  

In 2015, Bowling Green drew onto a side with the 11th and 7th region representatives.  Ballard in particular was a heavy favorite, having not lost to a Kentucky team all year (remind you of any team in this tournament?) and came in at 31-2.  Bowling Green didn't have a very tough first game on tap, facing 16th region rep Elliott County, but had a tough second game looming with 30-2 Knott County Central.  The first domino fell quickly - Boyle County upset 11th Region rep Lexington Catholic in the first round.  The second fell after Bowling Green pummeled Elliott County - Knott County Central got upset by Calloway County.  Then the big one - Boyle County managed a second upset of Ballard.  Bowling Green took care of  Calloway County and then had a solidly easy time with a Boyle County team that had been through the gauntlet.  That Purples team had the misfortune of then running into an Owensboro team that simply had a giant mismatch advantage on them, and beat them for the third time that season.  Not to slight those regions, but when you're told you will go through the 16th, 1st, and 12th region en route to a title game, that's typically a draw you'd take.  I think quite a few parallels can be drawn to this tournament, where they'll go through the 5th, 16th, and 8th, but most importantly, the four teams that were ranked ahead of them all lost on the first day (granted BG took one of them out), and then the other Louisville team - Bowling Green has never beaten a team from Louisville in the state tourney - fell victim to a hot shooting team in the quarterfinals. 

It's really only the win today that I would have completely not expected coming in.  I thought Bowling Green was probably third best in their quadrant - I favored both Calloway and Adair County over them.  But I knew they could make the semifinals.  I figured there X would put a stop to them.  So really the advance at this point is the only one that blows me away, and I think I felt similarly in 2015.

@DragonFire Well put and quality comparisons. I guess for me, as a casual viewer of Purples hoops this season, there were some not-so-fun moments that at the time made me think this wouldn't have been in the cards.

Whether attributing it to the draw, some upsets, or teams simply tiring out... I am tickled to see them get to this point. Enjoying the ride!

Congratulations Bowling Green should have a slight edge playing the early game. Good luck in the Championship!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.