Should Reg Season games or (In Season Tournaments) end with PKs resulting in a W or L in your record?

I went to sleep last night thinking about this issue and I thought I would throw it out for debate.

Your typical Regular season soccer game can end in a tie, except:

• Its a District match where you need to be seeded for District Tournament
  • Its a mid season Invitational/Tournament where you need a Winner/Loser to move on or out of the bracket

My issue is this, for the team records and reporting, why can't you just submit the score after regulation is the result that will impact your schools team record.  Then you ONLY use the result of the PK outcome for seeding purposes for Districts or to move on during a Mid Season tournament/invitational.

My thing is if it was just a regular game (non district/non tournament) you walk away with a tie and that's it.

On the flip side, if you want to do PKs for EVERY game so you can't end in a tie, I would be good with that.

I just hate that some games during the "Regular Season" you have to Win or Lose and some games you can tie.....Make it consistent is my gripe!

Thoughts????

• Like 2

Was just looking at some scores and am seeing inconsistency in how these situations are recorded. For example, Villa vs St. Henry for the All A went to Pk’s. It’s recorded as a tie. But the recent Highlands vs NCC is recorded as a loss for Highlands. Is it only seeding games that are recorded this way, not tournament games? I will be interested to see how the game between St. Henry and Villa that was played tonight for seeding gets put in. It went to PKs with St. Henry getting the victory this time.

I am a fan of the regular season tie. It allows for strategy and opens the game to different playstyles (Barca tiki taka, Klopp press, Mourinho counter, etc.). I also think it makes sure a team earns it's win. In baseball, two teams can play horrible but one is guaranteed a positive outcome.

I also think the result should report as the outcome. If a winner and loser are needed, regardless of reason (weekend tourney, district game, All A game) neither team should record a draw.

I do agree PKs to decide an outcome is ridiculous. Extra Time should consist of 5 minute periods of Golden Goal. After each 5 minute period, each team should be forced to remove 1 player from the pitch. The game should be decided in the run of play...

• Like 3

All wonderful solutions to an interesting problem. That is until your team comes out on the losing end.

Draws are a part of the game during the regular season. Leave them

Extra time should be the standard in all non regular season matches. (no matter the reason) Two equal periods.

PKs should only be used as a last resort.

• Like 2

I like how football does it.  Shorten the field and equal possessions.  Not sure how that would work in soccer.   Maybe play half a field game and maybe reduce the players to 5v5 or some version of that. A turnover is a turnover of possession and restart. Offense out of bounds=turnover and a defensive out of bounds=continue possession.   First team to go up after equal possessions=game over.   Not sure if this is even feasible but I don't love pk's and dislike ties even more.   

• Like 1