Centerville (OH) 9 Covington Catholic 0

kyag

19 hours ago, kyag said:

Must be some serious soccer going on in Centerville Ohio, not sure I’ve seen such a lopsided reported score vs a Cov Cath team. 

Fast facts on Centerville's program:*

• Finished 3rd in last year's final regular season OSSCA D1 poll. 

ossca-state-polls

• Lost to eventual semifinalist Moeller in the "Round of 16." 

• The Elks' 717 wins entering the season are the most by any team in Ohio high school soccer history. 

• Per the OHSAA, the boys enrollment of 1065 is the state's fifth largest. 

🔵 For Cov Cath, the nine goals surrendered are the most in the last 23 seasons.

I like that the school mixes it up with one of the toughest schedules in the Bluegrass. Two more tests on the road this week with games at Cincinnati Country Day and Dayton Carroll. 

Lesko Colonels!

Screenshot_20230828-055239__01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was in Park Hills for this one on Saturday, somewhat unfortunately.  @OutOfNeccessity, you and I saw the CovCath / Ryle quite differently, so you'll want to take my thoughts with a grain of salt, although I'm not sure there could be any real dissent in how this one went.

Centerville looks like a small college soccer team, both in their appearance, but more so, how they play.  Their touches are so perfect, their passing is incredibly crisp, you hate to say they were toying with their opponent, but it really felt that way.  That said, CovCath was only down 0-2 at halftime, but the flow of the game was very one-sided.  CovCath is going to need to score on set-pieces against their tougher opponents, I don't foresee them scoring a lot off the flow of the offense, and against a team of this ilk, it was even more magnified.  

The second half was really ugly, the Elks found the back-of-the-net 7 times.  CovCath will be "okay" in the back against most of their opponents, but they got carved up pretty good on Saturday.  

CovCath certainly has a few really solid pieces, and I still think they'll be 3rd or 4th in the Region when the dust settles, but they probably only have 3...maybe 4...kids would ever see the field at Centerville this year.  Hard to compare such things, but since the game was so out of reach in the 2nd half, fairly quickly, we started to guess a score if the State Runner-up team from 2 years ago was playing that Centerville team, and we settled on 0-3, so that should give somewhat of an indication of the group-think in the stands on Saturday.

CovCath isn't as bad as this score looks, I think 0-5 would have been a fairer result, but Centerville is THAT good.  Things snow-balled pretty quickly the wrong way in the 2nd half and you could see the shoulders slump mightily and the wind came right out of the sails...and The Elks never lost their appetite for scoring.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, OutOfNeccessity said:

Great analysis. Judging by that score it sounds spot on.

I imagine a similar result would have occurred by any of the NKY teams. Does anyone know if Centerville plays other NKY teams? I’d love to see them. (Good soccer is good soccer)

My google search says no other NKY teams play the Elks.

https://www.goelksathletics.com/sport/soccer/boys/?tab=schedule#

1 hour ago, OutOfNeccessity said:

I imagine a similar result would have occurred by any of the NKY teams. Does anyone know if Centerville plays other NKY teams? I’d love to see them. (Good soccer is good soccer)

As @2 much info noted, no NKY teams, but they are coming down to play Mason on Saturday at 7:00. That should be an excellent game.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2023 at 6:30 AM, Runcible Owl said:

Fast facts on Centerville's program:*

• Finished 3rd in last year's final regular season OSSCA D1 poll. 

ossca-state-polls

• Lost to eventual semifinalist Moeller in the "Round of 16." 

• The Elks' 717 wins entering the season are the most by any team in Ohio high school soccer history. 

• Per the OHSAA, the boys enrollment of 1065 is the state's fifth largest. 

🔵 For Cov Cath, the nine goals surrendered are the most in the last 23 seasons.

I like that the school mixes it up with one of the toughest schedules in the Bluegrass. Two more tests on the road this week with games at Cincinnati Country Day and Dayton Carroll. 

Lesko Colonels!

Screenshot_20230828-055239__01.jpg

📝 Pulled up Cov Cath's soccer history for comparison, after watching their recent Facebook video. 

• The Colonels 666 wins entering the season is second most on record.*

• HOF Coach John Hortons 433 wins place him fourth on the career list.**

• 20 post-regional  tournaments  (sectional/semistate/state). 

• 5 State Title Games

• 1 State Title

• 4 State Runner-ups 

• 14 Semifinal appearances

Year/Advanced to/Opponent (their finish if champion 🏆 or runner-up 🥈

2021 Final vs. PL Dunbar (🏆)

2016 Final vs. Daviess Co. (🏆)

2015 🏆 Champion vs. Henry Clay (🥈)

2009 Semifinals vs. St. Xavier (🏆)

2007 Round 1 vs. Ryle

2005 Round 1 vs. St. Henry 

2003 Semifinals vs. Lex Cath (🥈

2001 Round 1 vs. Somerset

2000 Semifinals vs. St. Xavier (🏆

1999 Round 1 vs. St. Henry (🥈

1998 Final vs. Trinity (🏆)

1997 Semifinals vs. Lex Cath (🥈

1992 Semifinals vs. PL Dunbar (🏆

1991 Semifinals vs. Henry Clay (🏆)

1989 Quarterfinals vs. Montgomery Co. (🥈)

1987 Round 1 vs. Male 

1986 Semifinals vs. Ballard (🏆)

1985 Quarterfinals vs. Atherton (🥈)

1984 Semifinals vs. St. Xavier (🥈)

1983 (Spring) Final vs. Male (🏆)

Sources: KHSAA archives and newspapers.com.

Screenshot_20230830-065723__01.jpg

Screenshot_20230830-070310__01.jpg

Current coach Jeremy Robertson has 248 career wins, placing him 13th on the list (166 in 12 seasons at Cov Cath and 82 in seven seasons at Highlands).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1.  Didn't realize CovCath was the 2nd winningest team in KY history -- great nugget, Owl!!!

2.  Who was St. X playing in 1972-73?  😜

3.  Amazing to think about how many wins John Horton would have accumulated had better decisions been made along the way -- he'd be #1 on that list by a huge margin.  I like John, always have, but he had to live with the consequences of his actions.

4.  I didn't realize Todd Tolbert also coached soccer at Greenwood.  I knew him as the Girls' Basketball Coach, and he was awfully good at that, and was an absolutely great person.  Was fun to stumble over his name on that list.

On 8/28/2023 at 6:03 PM, OutOfNeccessity said:

On 8/28/2023 at 7:43 PM, Runcible Owl said:

As @2 much info noted, no NKY teams, but they are coming down to play Mason on Saturday at 7:00. That should be an excellent game.

We might get a somewhat fair gague of Centerville via a common opponent. The Elks host Louisville St. Xavier on September 8. The Tigers beat Cov Cath 1-0 on August 19.

scoreboard/khsaa/kybsc23

• Like 2

16 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

1.  Didn't realize CovCath was the 2nd winningest team in KY history -- great nugget, Owl!!!

2. Who was St. X playing in 1972-73? 🤪

3.  Amazing to think about how many wins John Horton would have accumulated had better decisions been made along the way -- he'd be #1 on that list by a huge margin.  I like John, always have, but he had to live with the consequences of his actions.

4.  I didn't realize Todd Tolbert also coached soccer at Greenwood.  I knew him as the Girls' Basketball Coach, and he was awfully good at that, and was an absolutely great person.  Was fun to stumble over his name on that list.

Trinity, Henry Clay, Atherton, Thomas Jefferson, Oldham Co., Westport, Ballard, Moore, County Day, DeSales, Waggener, New Albany (IN). The Kentucky schools and St. X were the 12 team field for the first KHSAA Tournament in 1972.

• Thanks 1