Walton-Verona 86 South Oldham 78

Dragons playing without Nathan Touro who had a really solid summer solidifying himself as a defensive stopper against all positions and steady shooter from behind the arc. Really missed him tonight. Nonetheless, seems the Dragons are much improved from last season.

Surprised this was this close. South was crushed by Grant and Walton had a decent win vs Evangel. Have to disagree with above comment on South being better than last year but time will tell. They lack size and have lost multiple D1 athletes from the program the past few years who could’ve contributed this year, but they do not shoot 3s- which means no PT ever…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoopstars said:

Surprised this was this close. South was crushed by Grant and Walton had a decent win vs Evangel. Have to disagree with above comment on South being better than last year but time will tell. They lack size and have lost multiple D1 athletes from the program the past few years who could’ve contributed this year, but they do not shoot 3s- which means no PT ever…

My nephew goes to school here and I’ve been following the teams for a while now and as far as I know there are very few if any d1 athletes walking through the door in Crestwood. I know of 2 football players and one track athlete with Division 1 offers and none of which were superb basketball players in during their playing days. No as far size goes when you slide 6’4 Touro back in the lineup with 6’5 Burnside at the 5 and you have good enough high school size to compete. As far as improvement goes last years South team scored 34 points in their final game. Even in you ignore their two blowout wins this year the offense has still improved quite a bit from efficiency standards.

Also South had a pretty solid summer atleast from what I saw. I popped by to watch them play North Oldham and Spencer County. They beat Spencer County by around 30 points and only dropped the game to North by 2. Now it’s summer so it doesn’t mean to much but it was atleast promising to me. If they can figure out their defensive struggles they could put together a solid season.

8 hours ago, BBN_34 said:

My nephew goes to school here and I’ve been following the teams for a while now and as far as I know there are very few if any d1 athletes walking through the door in Crestwood. I know of 2 football players and one track athlete with Division 1 offers and none of which were superb basketball players in during their playing days. No as far size goes when you slide 6’4 Touro back in the lineup with 6’5 Burnside at the 5 and you have good enough high school size to compete. As far as improvement goes last years South team scored 34 points in their final game. Even in you ignore their two blowout wins this year the offense has still improved quite a bit from efficiency standards.

I would have to ignore their blowout wins- completion was jv/freshman level at the absolute best. I’m very familiar with south basketball and my point was the program has become more synonymous with shooting threes than winning basketball- leading to a consistent decline in results culminating in last years disaster.  I know for a fact that there are multiple superb athletes at that school, some D1 as you mention,  who would play basketball and who could rebound and defend- also important aspects of the game, but since they can’t shoot threes they would never play. Not saying that that decision won’t pay dividends this year. They may be much improved over last year and have a banner year. Just a healthy skeptic 

9 hours ago, BBN_34 said:

Also South had a pretty solid summer atleast from what I saw. I popped by to watch them play North Oldham and Spencer County. They beat Spencer County by around 30 points and only dropped the game to North by 2. Now it’s summer so it doesn’t mean to much but it was atleast promising to me. If they can figure out their defensive struggles they could put together a solid season.

Personally, I don't even see SO making the regional this year.