Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sister Districts

Featured Replies

I'm glad that the playoff structure has gone back to using sister districts for the first two rounds, it feels like we got much better matchups in the second round this year. Last year, it felt like there were a few "fraudulent" teams who didn't deserve to be in the third round just because they had the benefit of being in a weak district, that seems to have gone away for the most part this year.

I think it would be cool if we could take this a step further and make a scheduling change similar to the NFL. Where if you finished 1st in your district this year, next year you would play the other teams who finished first in their district and that would count against your district record. I realize that may be a logistical issue because we redistrict so often and our districts are different sizes, but I think it would bring a little more parity in the regular season.

1 hour ago, burreaux said:

I'm glad that the playoff structure has gone back to using sister districts for the first two rounds, it feels like we got much better matchups in the second round this year. Last year, it felt like there were a few "fraudulent" teams who didn't deserve to be in the third round just because they had the benefit of being in a weak district, that seems to have gone away for the most part this year.

I think it would be cool if we could take this a step further and make a scheduling change similar to the NFL. Where if you finished 1st in your district this year, next year you would play the other teams who finished first in their district and that would count against your district record. I realize that may be a logistical issue because we redistrict so often and our districts are different sizes, but I think it would bring a little more parity in the regular season.

The only issue I see with this proposed schedule change is the distance needed to travel to some of the other district winners. In 2A case Beechwood and Mayfield are no where close and that 4 and half hour drive would be a rough one on either team just to play someone you could meet on the playoffs again later. 
I love the sister districting because you get new and fresh match ups and in some cases better matchups. I also really like that teams like Frederick Douglass and Scott County who play in the same district but are both very have a chance to both make long runs in the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, burreaux said:

I'm glad that the playoff structure has gone back to using sister districts for the first two rounds, it feels like we got much better matchups in the second round this year. Last year, it felt like there were a few "fraudulent" teams who didn't deserve to be in the third round just because they had the benefit of being in a weak district, that seems to have gone away for the most part this year.

I think it would be cool if we could take this a step further and make a scheduling change similar to the NFL. Where if you finished 1st in your district this year, next year you would play the other teams who finished first in their district and that would count against your district record. I realize that may be a logistical issue because we redistrict so often and our districts are different sizes, but I think it would bring a little more parity in the regular season.

Aside from the logistics ( a big one is how would you schedule when you’d play, and who would be the home team), I hate the idea of this plan  being a district game. I guess I get from a fans perspective, but I suspect coaches would absolutely hate it. 

  • Author
4 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Aside from the logistics ( a big one is how would you schedule when you’d play, and who would be the home team), I hate the idea of this plan  being a district game. I guess I get from a fans perspective, but I suspect coaches would absolutely hate it. 

I understand the travel aspect being a concern for coaches. I think the questions about who is the home team and when do they play could be answered easily. For example, on odd years the odd numbered district hosts the even district, and even years the even district would host. If everyone in the state was on this plan, then you schedule the game in week 10 (or any week that everyone agrees).

Is there another reason why coaches may hate it?

Just now, burreaux said:

I understand the travel aspect being a concern for coaches. I think the questions about who is the home team and when do they play could be answered easily. For example, on odd years the odd numbered district hosts the even district, and even years the even district would host. If everyone in the state was on this plan, then you schedule the game in week 10 (or any week that everyone agrees).

Is there another reason why coaches may hate it?

Because of the impact it could have on the playoffs. These losses affect would district record and thus could have playoff implications. It also means possibly losing a home game every year.

  • Author
2 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

Because of the impact it could have on the playoffs. These losses affect would district record and thus could have playoff implications. It also means possibly losing a home game every year.

True, but it would also give them another chance to win a district game against a team that is closer to their level. In a district like 4A #5 Boyle and Lexington Catholic are clearly the top two teams and Bourbon and Anderson never had a shot to host a playoff game. So if we give them a chance to improve their record by playing the #3 team in district #6 (Rowan) they might have actually have a chance to finish in 2nd. 

14 minutes ago, burreaux said:

True, but it would also give them another chance to win a district game against a team that is closer to their level. In a district like 4A #5 Boyle and Lexington Catholic are clearly the top two teams and Bourbon and Anderson never had a shot to host a playoff game. So if we give them a chance to improve their record by playing the #3 team in district #6 (Rowan) they might have actually have a chance to finish in 2nd. 

Is that what we really want. Handicap the top teams, and help the weaker teams maybe be able to host a playoff game? You want to host a playoff game, beat the teams in your district. Not depend on a team better than you getting knocked off by a really good team in your sister district.

  • Author
11 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Is that what we really want. Handicap the top teams, and help the weaker teams maybe be able to host a playoff game? You want to host a playoff game, beat the teams in your district. Not depend on a team better than you getting knocked off by a really good team in your sister district.

I mean that's one way to look at it.

I see it as an opportunity to level the playing field a bit more. At the end of the day the best teams are going to win against their district and their sister district. This would only be one game and it serves as a way to introduce some parity. In this scenario 'chalk' will still prevail most of the time, it just gives a chance to swap some of the seedings around a little more than happens currently, which I think is good for the sport.

3 hours ago, burreaux said:

I mean that's one way to look at it.

I see it as an opportunity to level the playing field a bit more. At the end of the day the best teams are going to win against their district and their sister district. This would only be one game and it serves as a way to introduce some parity. In this scenario 'chalk' will still prevail most of the time, it just gives a chance to swap some of the seedings around a little more than happens currently, which I think is good for the sport.

Check the results over the past 20 seasons. You will see the same names advancing most of the time. With six classes and about 200-220 teams we've leveled it enough. Just go back to what we did during the four class system....take the top two in each district and play ball!!

5 hours ago, burreaux said:

I mean that's one way to look at it.

I see it as an opportunity to level the playing field a bit more. At the end of the day the best teams are going to win against their district and their sister district. This would only be one game and it serves as a way to introduce some parity. In this scenario 'chalk' will still prevail most of the time, it just gives a chance to swap some of the seedings around a little more than happens currently, which I think is good for the sport.

You can’t “level the playing field” by forcing matchups between the top teams, punishing them for losing those games, while rewarding lesser teams for winning easier matchups. That’s a pretty heavy handed. Why do you even feel it’s necessary to handicap one of the top two or three teams in each region while purposely trying to benefit the lesser teams? What problem are you solving?

  • Author
3 hours ago, 9068 said:

Check the results over the past 20 seasons. You will see the same names advancing most of the time. With six classes and about 200-220 teams we've leveled it enough. Just go back to what we did during the four class system....take the top two in each district and play ball!!

I think that's the best way to go.

The "problem," if you want to call it that, is that the playoffs are stale and pretty boring until round 3 at the earliest (with a few exceptions in round 2). This is just a way to mix it up a little bit during the earlier rounds. Like you said, the same teams appear year after year, this won't change that. The best teams are still going to win and probably host playoff games.

13 minutes ago, burreaux said:

I think that's the best way to go.

The "problem," if you want to call it that, is that the playoffs are stale and pretty boring until round 3 at the earliest (with a few exceptions in round 2). This is just a way to mix it up a little bit during the earlier rounds. Like you said, the same teams appear year after year, this won't change that. The best teams are still going to win and probably host playoff games.

So again, you potentially penalize the good teams in an effort to “shake things up”. 

Sister districts have allowed for the best teams in the state to advance to the region in most cases. Same district teams still alive for round 3. Hazard and Pikeville, Raceland and Paintsville in 1A. Beechwood and Lloyd in 2A. Ashland and Greenup, Paducah and Union County in 3A. Boyle and LexCath, Central and Franklin County in 4A. Douglass and Scott County in 5a. Male and Bullitt East, Trinity and Ballard, Madison Central and Bryan Station in 6A. Last year, these teams would have eliminated each other in Round 2. Cross district along with RPI in the 3rd and 4th rounds should put the best two teams into the Championship games. 

28 minutes ago, Builder1214 said:

Sister districts have allowed for the best teams in the state to advance to the region in most cases. Same district teams still alive for round 3. Hazard and Pikeville, Raceland and Paintsville in 1A. Beechwood and Lloyd in 2A. Ashland and Greenup, Paducah and Union County in 3A. Boyle and LexCath, Central and Franklin County in 4A. Douglass and Scott County in 5a. Male and Bullitt East, Trinity and Ballard, Madison Central and Bryan Station in 6A. Last year, these teams would have eliminated each other in Round 2. Cross district along with RPI in the 3rd and 4th rounds should put the best two teams into the Championship games. 

Correct. And this being the case, a forced extra district game with your sister district during the regular season with matchup based on last years standings is not only a logistical problem, but potentially negatively affect playoff standings. 

  • Author
48 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

So again, you potentially penalize the good teams in an effort to “shake things up”. 

This only adds one game to the district standings, so the biggest effect it could have would be plus/minus one place in the district standings. If one place has that much of an effect on your season, then you weren't a "good" team to begin with and you'd be exiting by the 2nd round anyway. At the end of the day, the best four teams between the districts will be playing in the 2nd round and the best two teams will still be playing in the 3rd round. Does it really matter who hosts that 2/3 1st round matchup? Wouldn't it be nice for the routine #3 team in the district to at least have a chance to host a playoff game at least once during the 4 year cycle?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.