Highlands at Male Scrimmage Updates

15 hours ago, BBN_34 said:

Not a good sign for the birds defense. This is a male team that returns two starters on offense not including Max Gainey.

A school the size of Male should have no problems filling the void from last years seniors. I'm sure they had some juniors starting or at least getting tons of playing time in mop up situations last year.  I hope Male has a great season with no injuries.

Birds know what they need to work on and I'm sure they will take care of business.

16 minutes ago, 1963 BIRDS said:

A school the size of Male should have no problems filling the void from last years seniors. I'm sure they had some juniors starting or at least getting tons of playing time in mop up situations last year.  I hope Male has a great season with no injuries.

Birds know what they need to work on and I'm sure they will take care of business.

Although Male won't be as good as last year, they will still be very good and they typically reload rather than rebuild. I think the Birds will definitely be improved this year and looks like going to be very good on offense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

Male’s kicker was a factor.  If I had to guess, I would say that Highlands’ average starting field position was their own 22 yard line.  The kicker put the ball out of the end zone nearly every time.  On the other hand, Males’ starting field position was probably around Highlands’ 42.  Highlands’ starting PK is still recovering from an injury.  So, Highlands pooched every kickoff except for one attempted onside kick, which ironically turned out to be Male’s worst starting field position (not counting punts or turnover on downs).  

The final score was 41-26.  Male returned one KO for a TD and also had a very late pick 6 which turned out to be the final play of the game.  

Highlands’ defense made some very nice plays and had some good stops. Male’s RB will be a problem for most teams this year.  

Highlands’ young QB (Haas) looked pretty good for his first varsity scrimmage against a team like Male.  He was poised, made good decisions, was mostly accurate, and stepped up in the pocket a few times like a mature QB.  On Highlands’ first drive of the game, Haas looked good on a naked bootleg and delivered a very nice ball to an open receiver in the flats that unfortunately fell incomplete on the goal line … Birds settled for a FG to start. 

Highlands definitely has some speed on the outside … Two long TD passes (65+ yards)… one to Hinegardner (really nice throw by Haas to hit the speedy #10 in stride on what looked like a skinny post) and one to Noon.  

I think it was a good first scrimmage for both teams.  Male probably could’ve controlled the game more on the ground with Swinney but obviously wanted to work on some things in the passing game in a live scrimmage setting.  

Good luck to both teams this year! 

I thought Bottom was the starter at QB for the Birds? Did he play at all?