Preseason NKY Rankings Countdown 2022

I just couldn't resist getting something started for the NKY Girls soccer season on BGP.  We are 12 days away from the Soccerama games hosted at Beechwood Friday, Aug 5th and 6th.  Therefore, I have decided instead of revealing my Preseason Top 10 all at once I would mimic what Teeroy does on the Football Forum and give you a slow burn to my Top 10.  I will reveal them one day at time (with the weekend off) which will bring us to the first day of Soccerama next Friday.  If in the process of these rankings there are certain players that might have either left the program or have joined the program, I would love to hear about it.

Here we go:

10. BISHOP BROSSART

• They begin where they finished 2021 in my rankings at 10th
  • 2021 Region 10 Runner Ups with at 15-9-1 record
  • Key Players returning:  Last years 2 leading scorers Jill Planeax (Senior) and Emma Sandfoss (Junior) who both had 18 goals last year.  They also will return Lauren Gooderson (Senior) back in goal
  • Key Players lost:  Their assist machines of Ally Smith who had 22 Assists and Brooklyn Meyer who had 11 Assists.
  • Soccerama opponent:  Conner (Sat, Aug 6th at 5:30pm)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I just couldn't resist getting something started for the NKY Girls soccer season on BGP.  We are 12 days away from the Soccerama games hosted at Beechwood Friday, Aug 5th and 6th.  Therefore, I have decided instead of revealing my Preseason Top 10 all at once I would mimic what Teeroy does on the Football Forum and give you a slow burn to my Top 10.  I will reveal them one day at time (with the weekend off) which will bring us to the first day of Soccerama next Friday.  If in the process of these rankings there are certain players that might have either left the program or have joined the program, I would love to hear about it.

Here we go:

10. BISHOP BROSSART

• They begin where they finished 2021 in my rankings at 10th
  • 2021 Region 10 Runner Ups with at 15-9-1 record
  • Key Players returning:  Last years 2 leading scorers Jill Planeax (Senior) and Emma Sandfoss (Junior) who both had 18 goals last year.  They also will return Lauren Gooderson (Senior) back in goal
  • Key Players lost:  Their assist machines of Ally Smith who had 22 Assists and Brooklyn Meyer who had 11 Assists.
  • Soccerama opponent:  Conner (Sat, Aug 6th at 5:30pm)

Will be an interesting match up!  The two schools tied last year 3-3 at the beginning of the season.  

• Like 1

Looking forward to this.  It's not just NDA replacing some great Seniors. Many of these teams are replacing their schools "all-time" this or that stat, 4 year starting, D1 headed kids!  How does the area look post graduating that great group last year?  

10. BISHOP BROSSART

9. RYLE

• They drop down a few spots from where they finished (#6) last year
  • 2021 record: 9-5-5
  • Key Players returning:  They lost a LOT of production from last year.  Who will step up this year?  It looks like they have 11 Seniors to carry the leadership roles.  Grace Carrigan (Jr) had a very nice productive Bluegrass Games this past weekend scoring 5 goals.  Kathleen Iasillo (Jr) had 2 goals this weekend as well.  Unfortunately, the KHSAA Roster doesn't indicate who the GK will be, anyone know??
  • Key Players lost:  Replacing the Griffin sisters will be some big shoes to fill.  Kaia with her team leading 15 goals last year and Keelee being the Goalkeeper for their staunch defense.
  • Soccerama opponent:  Campbell County (Fri, Aug 5th at 6pm)
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Big Red said:

Looking forward to this.  It's not just NDA replacing some great Seniors. Many of these teams are replacing their schools "all-time" this or that stat, 4 year starting, D1 headed kids!  How does the area look post graduating that great group last year?  

Great question, so here is the returners that produced last year.  I was going to give you the list of players that had 10 or more goals or assists but that seemed too long, so then I was going to give you the Top 5 but then there were some ties for 5th so its the Top 7 in goals and the Top 6 in Assists.....I apologize if there are other players that I didn't capture from teams that are not swirling around the NKY Top 10 "type of team".

Top Returning Goal scorers:

Ashtyn Ivey (Dixie/Sr) - 30 goals

Ruby Dunleavy (Campbell County/Sr) - 30 goals

Maleah Alexander (Cooper/Jr) - 20 goals

Laney Smith (Highlands/Jr) - 20 goals

Ivy Hoffman (Holy Cross/Jr) - 18 goals

Jill Planeaux (Brossart/Sr) - 18 goals

Emma Sandfoss (Brossart/Jr) - 18 goals

Top Returning Assist leaders:

Reese Smith (Dixie/Sr) - 21 assists

Jill Planeaux (Brossart/Sr) - 15 assists

Jozie Holmes (Campbell County/So) - 15 assists

Maleah Alexander (Cooper/Jr) - 15 assists

Elle Greenwell (NDA/Sr) - 15 assists

Ashtyn Ivey (Dixie/Sr) - 15 assists

KUDOS to Maleah Alexander (Cooper), Ashtyn Ivey (Dixie) & Jill Planeaux (Brossart) for making both lists!!!!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

10. BISHOP BROSSART

9. RYLE

• They drop down a few spots from where they finished (#6) last year
  • 2021 record: 9-5-5
  • Key Players returning:  They lost a LOT of production from last year.  Who will step up this year?  It looks like they have 11 Seniors to carry the leadership roles.  Grace Carrigan (Jr) had a very nice productive Bluegrass Games this past weekend scoring 5 goals.  Kathleen Iasillo (Jr) had 2 goals this weekend as well.  Unfortunately, the KHSAA Roster doesn't indicate who the GK will be, anyone know??
  • Key Players lost:  Replacing the Griffin sisters will be some big shoes to fill.  Kaia with her team leading 15 goals last year and Keelee being the Goalkeeper for their staunch defense.
  • Soccerama opponent:  Campbell County (Fri, Aug 5th at 6pm)

As far as keeper there is a freshman who split time with a couple of seniors at Bluegrass games.  The freshman Maleah Lehmkuhl isn't currently on the KHSAA roster, but she got playing time on both JV and varsity in the goal.  Three goalies got some playing time. I am not sure though about the plan for the regular season.

• Thanks 1

10. BISHOP BROSSART

9. RYLE

8. BEECHWOOD

• They actually move up one spot from where they finished (#9) last year
  • 2021 record: 11-7-2
  • Key Players returning:  Dory Smith (Sr) who had 11 goals last year and Lynden Noll (Sr) Goalkeeper.  Looks like they will be a young team with 11 Sophomores on their Varsity Roster, compared with only 3 Seniors!  Look out Fall of 2024!!  Here is the thing too, 10 out of the 11 Sophomores either had a goal and/or an assist last year as Freshman on Varsity so they played on the big stage already.....
  • Key Players lost:  McKinley Yelton who was their leading goal scorer with 14 goals last year.
  • Soccerama opponent:  Cooper (Sat, Aug 6th at 3:30pm) - no favoritism for being the host school here getting an easier opponent, this will be a HUGE test out of the gate for the Tigers!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Here's a question for the NKY girls soccer experts....just trying to figure out how deep NDA's roster is.

If you removed the starting lineup for the Pandas the season and the team was composed of the top backups/the rest of the roster and a few select JV kids, how would that team fare against the rest of NKY varsity squads?

12 minutes ago, BrosefStalin said:

Here's a question for the NKY girls soccer experts....just trying to figure out how deep NDA's roster is.

If you removed the starting lineup for the Pandas the season and the team was composed of the top backups/the rest of the roster and a few select JV kids, how would that team fare against the rest of NKY varsity squads?

Can you wait until next week? I promise I will give you my take on what type of team they will be. I will tell you this they will be a very good team, how good and what day will I showcase them you must wait LOL. Hopefully @BigRed doesn’t give out to much LOL!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Can you wait until next week? I promise I will give you my take on what type of team they will be. I will tell you this they will be a very good team, how good and what day will I showcase them you must wait LOL. Hopefully @BigRed doesn’t give out to much LOL!

Not stealing Frank’s thunder, but…The Pandas starting 11 will likely have 8+ girls that play ECNL or GA for their club team. That doesn’t guarantee anything, but talent should not be an issue. One difference will be the mix of freshman through seniors versus the senior dominant team last year. 

• Like 1

10. BISHOP BROSSART

9. RYLE

8. BEECHWOOD

7. CONNER

• They moved back a few spots from where they finished (#5) last year
  • 2021 record: 12-9-4
  • Key Players returning:  Juliet Strange (Sr), Elaina Keller (Sr), Hailey Oliver (Sr) & Ella Mann (Jr), who most of them had fantastic summer camps this summer to get all ready for the season.
  • Key Players lost:  Here is where @Defense_Wins_Gameshopefully can shed some light on what I found in my research.  They lost their big offensive power in Sydney Noble to graduation but they also are missing on the roster Rylie Kidman (So), Chloe Faught (Sr) & Grayson Drew (Sr), played a lot, were productive but no longer on 2022 roster.....Did they transfer or just decided to retire from High School soccer?
  • Soccerama opponent:  Bishop Brossart (Sat, Aug 6th at 5:30pm) 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

10. BISHOP BROSSART

9. RYLE

8. BEECHWOOD

7. CONNER

• They moved back a few spots from where they finished (#5) last year
  • 2021 record: 12-9-4
  • Key Players returning:  Juliet Strange (Sr), Elaina Keller (Sr), Hailey Oliver (Sr) & Ella Mann (Jr), who most of them had fantastic summer camps this summer to get all ready for the season.
  • Key Players lost:  Here is where @Defense_Wins_Gameshopefully can shed some light on what I found in my research.  They lost their big offensive power in Sydney Noble to graduation but they also are missing on the roster Rylie Kidman (So), Chloe Faught (Sr) & Grayson Drew (Sr), played a lot, were productive but no longer on 2022 roster.....Did they transfer or just decided to retire from High School soccer?
  • Soccerama opponent:  Bishop Brossart (Sat, Aug 6th at 5:30pm) 

Chloe and Grayson both decided to hang up school soccer.  The word around is that Riley Kidman is at Beechwood but will not be able to play varsity there only JV.  I assume it has something to do with the new law about moving schools.  I should also mention we are returning our sophomore goalie Ally Welch who shared the starting GK role last year but should have the role all to herself for the next three years.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10. BISHOP BROSSART

9. RYLE

8. BEECHWOOD

7. CONNER

6. HOLY CROSS (COVINGTON)

• Well here is my "surprise" of the week!  I am sure not many non-Holy Cross people saw this coming maybe. I bet @rjalsaw this coming!  I really like what I see from this team.  They started in my Top 10 last year but stumbled out of the gate going 3-5 (with losses against Villa, Brossart & Beechwood) in that timespan and never could get back in!
  • 2021 record: 10-8-1
  • Key Players returning:  Everybody (minus 1), Top Players will be Ivy Hoffman (Jr) led the team in goals and assists last year with 18 goals/9 Assists.  She will be teamed up on the offense with the Senior duo of Rylee Veneman and Sydney Quercioli.  Unlike last year when they only had 1 Senior on the roster this year they will have 10, which also includes the Goalkeeper tandem of Stephanie Ross & Mia Wilson.
  • Key Players lost:  Abi Beane who was a defender was the ONLY player that graduated!!  
  • Soccerama opponent:  NCC (Fri, Aug 5th at 7:30pm) 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Teams that were snubbed in my week 1 Preseason Rankings:

Simon Kenton & NCC:

Ironically, BOTH schools for the same reasons:  You lost a ton of talent either from graduation or from moving to E-town.  You both lost your Head Coaches.  You both finished last year sub-500, NCC 9-12-1 and SK 9-10-3.  Now this doesn't mean you can't play your way in, this is a Preseason Ranking.  I made 2 mistakes last year not putting Beechwood and Brossart in my Preseason Top 10 and they worked their way into it after a few weeks.  Show me what you can do on the Pitch and I will welcome you back with open arms.

I have a funny feeling, maybe I am wrong, but this year might be a very volatile moving Top 10 all the way from the top to the bottom of the rankings.

I am super excited!!!!  Have I said that already?

I will resume the Top 10 Rankings on Monday!  I think you can figure out who is left but in what order will they be in?

• Thanks 1