Open Job: Burgin

Coach Troy Lee Thomas announced on social media that he will be returning back home to take care of his ailing mother. He leaves behind a Burgin team that, despite the large number in the loss column during his tenure, has actually improved and, if fostered in the right direction, may continue to creep towards competitiveness with the smaller schools in the region.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, RimRacker said:

At least they will start with a familiar face at the helm. Wishing them luck this season. They usually have some decent numbers for a small school.

This is true. The biggest problems for Burgin are being in a district with three large school and being in an All A region with schools like Danville and Somerset that always have lots of talent and athleticism. Burgin isn’t bad but they’re behind the eight-ball geographically. 

1 hour ago, gchs_uk9 said:

This is true. The biggest problems for Burgin are being in a district with three large school and being in an All A region with schools like Danville and Somerset that always have lots of talent and athleticism. Burgin isn’t bad but they’re behind the eight-ball geographically. 

I just don't want to see them fall behind the two newcomers, Somerset Christian (who is officially not yet a region school) & Danville Christian. They didn't play Somerset Christian last year but got ran twice by DCA. On the good side, they were able to stay on the court okay with East Jessamine last year, they fell on the road to Wayne County by single digits (in what is widely known as the toughest court to play on in the region), and they should return Jacob Qualls (though they lose John Boursaw to graduation).

DCA is going to be good for the next few years. I think after Boyd and his class graduates Burgin can play with them along with Somerset Christian. I think they should put DCA, Burgin and Somerset Christian in a district together. I think it would give them a chance to experience the regional tournament. 

• 4 months later...