Russell County 1 Beechwood 0 (KHSAA State Tournament Quarterfinal)

7 minutes ago, theguru said:

Congrats Lakers!

Some really good defense and pitching in the game by both teams. 

I might be in the minority on this, but seeing skills like that on display is a breath of fresh air in an era of power baseball. You can still find those skills being plied in the high school game.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

No walks in the game by either team. Big strike zone by the ump?

11 minutes ago, DevilMayCare said:

I might be in the minority on this, but seeing skills like that on display is a breath of fresh air in an era of power baseball. You can still find those skills being plied in the high school game.

4 minutes ago, DevilMayCare said:

The zone was called into question on a few occasions. As long as it goes both ways, I'm good with it.

I agree on the zone and the display of baseball skills, it was refreshing even though I am disappointed Beechwood lost the game. 

For many years Russell County was among the best in the 12th Region (and its precursor prior to the move to sixteen regions in the mid-1970s), winning championships in 1957, 1968, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1991, and 2003. The move to the 4th Region has been tough because of the high level opponents that come out of the Bowling Green area, but the Lakers still win a ton of games and are always in the hunt. I'm glad to see Russell County making a splash at the state tournament this season.

• Like 3

The day belonged to the Lakers, but Beechwood is a strong contender to get back to Lexington next year and potentially make a deeper run. The Tigers have a loaded junior class, including Berger, Estep, Boyd, Stacy, Kappes, and Meier. They'll be heard from again.

9 minutes ago, DevilMayCare said:

The zone was called into question on a few occasions. As long as it goes both ways, I'm good with it.

4 minutes ago, theguru said:

I agree on the zone and the display of baseball skills, it was refreshing even though I am disappointed Beechwood lost the game. 

I agree that as long as the strike zone is consistent for both teams no issue. But it does explain a 1-0 score because a bigger strike zone makes it tough for the hitters on both teams.

6 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I agree that as long as the strike zone is consistent for both teams no issue. But it does explain a 1-0 score because a bigger strike zone makes it tough for the hitters on both teams.

Some rainbows were called strikes but I didn't feel like anything was blatant one way or the other.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

I was at the game and didn’t feel like the strike zone was any bigger than normal. In fact it seemed like there was more pitches that was called ball that was questioned that looked like they should have been strikes, than the other way around. 

It honestly was just a very well pitched game from both teams, with good defense. Berger in the last inning was literally a foot away from tying it up, but the Russell County Left Fielder made a great play reaching up right at the fence to make the catch. 

If Beechwood was going to lose, i definitely didn’t think it would be because of them getting shut out. The Russell County pitcher did a great job mixing up his pitches and locating keeping the Beechwood batters off balance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

I was at the game and didn’t feel like the strike zone was any bigger than normal. In fact it seemed like there was more pitches that was called ball that was questioned that looked like they should have been strikes, than the other way around. 

It honestly was just a very well pitched game from both teams, with good defense. Berger in the last inning was literally a foot away from tying it up, but the Russell County Left Fielder made a great play reaching up right at the fence to make the catch. 

If Beechwood was going to lose, i definitely didn’t think it would be because of them getting shut out. The Russell County pitcher did a great job mixing up his pitches and locating keeping the Beechwood batters off balance. 

That was a shot by Berger, you could tell he didn't quite get all of it and shows you just how talented he is in everything he does. 

• Like 1