Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

North Oldham 63 Woodford County 53 (8th Region Finals)

Featured Replies

18 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

Who are they and what sport?

#1 Smith, he’s got a offer from UK in football. He’s a freshman 

#2 Johnson he will windup playing D1 basketball somewhere, he’s a freshman as well

#4 Nelson has had interest from many programs in football, uk, uc u of L

# 10 Mccrear has a offer from Arizona St basketball 

15 minutes ago, Tru2theblue said:

#1 Smith, he’s got a offer from UK in football. He’s a freshman 

#2 Johnson he will windup playing D1 basketball somewhere, he’s a freshman as well

#4 Nelson has had interest from many programs in football, uk, uc u of L

# 10 Mccrear has a offer from Arizona St basketball 

Mccrear is a tremendous athlete, but struggles to score against high schoolers. Don’t see him doing too well against college bodies his size. 

6 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

I have been told he is the son of the Woodford County coach, I know different names.

Ah, could be - half of what you see and none of what you hear, etc.  heh.  Only recently heard that Woodford County’s head coach is Jaron Brown - a name that felt familiar.  Turns out he is the guy from Lexington who played a big role at Pittsburgh (probably late Ben Howland  or early Jamie Dixon) about 20 years ago. Tough, gritty, started over 100 games and scored over 1200 points.  He had a little bit of a bad night vs North Oldham. On one hand, North couldn’t miss in the first half, was up 45-19 at intermission, and unless North just melted down the game was likely over at that point.  So, not much blame to assess.  But, as I said in the game thread, it was hard to watch a team 12-15 points behind in the 4th quarter content to play defense and let the other team milk the clock for 30 or 45 seconds each possession before attempting a shot.  Foul, put them at the line, so something - as it was, that was just waiving a white towel. On offense too they were pretty deliberate, no sense of urgency anywhere.  Probably not used to playing from 25 down……

On 3/9/2022 at 9:56 AM, ConverseAllStar said:

Another year in which the 29th District runner-up proceeds to win the 8th Region Tournament. It seems like that has happened a lot. 

The 29th District champ won it last year (Oldham County)

However, in the last decade, South Oldham won the region 3 times - each time after finishing as the 29th district runner-up.

North Oldham came into this game with a solid game plan, and executed it to absolute perfection in the first half.

Didn't hurt that they shot 71% from the floor (17 of 24).

North's bigs don't get the accolades of a McCrear or Twombley, but Ian Higdon (6'6" junior forward - all 8th region) and Luke Anderson (6'7" junior center) completely owned the glass - major key in the game.

Four Mustangs in double digits....

About the only mistake I thought North made was mental - I thought they let off the gas in the second half, but hard to blame them.   Not sure anybody can play with the focused fury they played with in the first 16 minutes for a full game.    

I've called the 8th Region tournament since 1979 - I've called some real blowouts (South vs. Anderson in the finals a few years ago comes to mind) - but the last time I saw such complete - and shocking - domination in a game that was fully expected to be nip-and-tuck from start to finish, was the 1979 first round game between Oldham County and defending state champion Shelby County (with Charles Hurt), when Oldham - the runner-ups of the then-31st district - had the region favorite Rockets down by 23 at halftime.  (The Colonels ultimately won that game by 9).

Kudos to Woodford's kids - 90% of teams would have come out of the locker room down 26 and made a go of it for maybe two minutes - then folded their tents when they realized that the time/score just couldn't be overcome.   Woodford played a tremendous second half all the way to the final second, and I applaud that.

Congrats to North, and BEST OF LUCK in Rupp!!  (Pegasus Sports will see you there!)

CM

On 3/9/2022 at 8:58 AM, Mojocat said:

Someone told me that Jasper Johnson, the Woodford freshman, is the son of Dennis Johnson, former defensive end at UK (and if I recall right, maybe the number 1 rated high school player in the country his senior year?).  Suffice to say, Jasper isn’t built like a defensive end!

I’m not sure about that. I’ve heard 1 in the state but not country. But I don’t even know if he’ll be 1 in the state knowing that 6’11 Malachi Moreno is in the state and a freshman.

7 hours ago, Nkybballfan23 said:

I’m not sure about that. I’ve heard 1 in the state but not country. But I don’t even know if he’ll be 1 in the state knowing that 6’11 Malachi Moreno is in the state and a freshman.

No, sorry - I meant the dad was the number 1 rated high school player in the country back in the 90s (if that’s true, even). I understand Jasper is supposedly the best freshman in the state, but that’s really hard for me to believe based on what I saw in the 8th Region final (which was a poor game for WC for sure and likely not a game to make a judgment)….

On 3/11/2022 at 3:43 PM, Mojocat said:

No, sorry - I meant the dad was the number 1 rated high school player in the country back in the 90s (if that’s true, even). I understand Jasper is supposedly the best freshman in the state, but that’s really hard for me to believe based on what I saw in the 8th Region final (which was a poor game for WC for sure and likely not a game to make a judgment)….

Oh ok I misunderstood you. But Agreed. He’s supposedly 4th. With Malachi Moreno of Great Crossing, EJ walker of Lloyd and Julius Edmonds of Louisville Western ranked ahead of him.

Dang, Woodford County had all them transfers and still couldn't win the region. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.