Mercer County Titans Football

ChiefSmoke

Coach Buchanan is the definition of a real High School Coach. He really cares about his players. Not many High School coaches keep in contact with former Players, but Coach Buchanan does. He cares about you on and off the field. He holds you accountable but will have your back no matter what. I hope he don't stay away from the game too long, kids need him more than he knows. A lot of kids come from broken homes and Coach Buchanan was a father figure to many. I respect this man to the fullest. 

• Like 2

First met Coach Buchanan as an assistant and then as HC at Paris and Mason County. Always enjoyed officiating his team's games. Always talked at MC when I was there helping coach teams in boys & girls regionals. Last talked at girls state tournament when Mercer was at NKU. From an old fb official and bball coach, THANK YOU! You have been a credit to your family, your schools, your community, and above all your Lord and Savior. Enjoy the time away.....but I feel you are too talented to be on the bench for long!!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2022 at 9:05 PM, ChiefSmoke said:

Mercer County Titans 

Find A Way To Win

January 20, 2022 

Thank you to Mercer Co. Schools, my bosses, our players, our coaches, and the entire community for allowing me to be the head coach of the Titans these past 7 years. In the seven years before me, the Mercer County Titans had four head football coaches. I am very grateful for my seven years, getting to be the head football coach in our hometown. I am also very thankful for the tremendous work and progress that has been made, going back to 2015.  

When Dennis Davis hired me for this position, I absolutely believe I was the right guy for the job and at the right time. That time has passed.  Almost every coach has a clock that runs out wherever they are coaching, eventually. Often, coaches stay after their time has run out. The kids and the program suffer when that happens. I love our kids, Titan football, and our community too much to stay too long when a change will benefit our program.  

 A guy gets ONEchance to leave a football program in better shape than he found it. That especially matters when you are in your hometown. RIGHT NOW... we are expecting our best OL/DL over the past 8 seasons to be 2022… and then only get better each year after that. Our returning skill guys are good, but need to get faster.... Terry Yeast will make that happen.  The repeat year has been and will be very good for Titan football. In 2022, several freshmen will compete for varsity playing time and potentially be starters on Friday nights.  We have more guys in weightclass than we have ever had over the past eight years. Our S & C Coach, Jeremy Carlson, is elite and will take all of our athletes to a new level. Our coaching staff is strong. Our finances are solid.  Not only are things good now, there is a good cushion built in that will give the next head coach a chance for early success and having good teams for several years after that. I started out 0-5. That is rough and not sure the effects ever went away completely. This gives the next coach his best chance and a great opportunity to be successful right out of the gate.  

Jason Booher is an outstanding Superintendent for our community.  Donald Wayne Smith is one of my oldest and best friends. Spencer Tatum and I used to mark the field together back in 1986 & 1987.  I could not ask for better bosses. I am also confident that they will continue to take steps that will move Titan football from good to elite.  

I love coaching football and hope to return to the field someday.  Until that time, I will enjoy each day in my role at Mercer County Schools, working to keep kids safe, and helping them be successful. I love our school, our community, and especially our kids.  

If I never coach again, I will thank God for a lifetime of HS football and Friday nights, as well as 30 wonderful years as a head football coach.  

It is an honor & privilege to be the football coach in your hometown. I am forever grateful and thankful for what has been an incredible, once in a lifetime experience. 

Thank you and more than ever.... IT IS A GREAT DAY TO BE A TITAN!   

Coach Buchanan

ChiefSmoke

image.jpeg

Just to clear up some confusion....

1- I was NOT forced out.

2- I want to coach again. I am not retired... hope not anyway. 

3- Everything in this statement is accurate.

Best of luck to the Titans and Coach Yeast!

#FindAWayToWin 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...