What are the most "unbreakable" records in KYHSFB?

They say records are meant to be broken, but some seem further out of reach than others. What standards will endure the test of time? Here's a few to scratch the surface...

Philip Haywood's 466 (and counting) coaching wins

With the changing climate and demands of coaching high school athletics, we're not likely to see another coach anytime soon with the longevity and year to year consistency of Belfry's boss. The young guns of the coaching profession - Brandon Smith, for example - are just beginning to break a sweat in the marathon while Haywood is nearing the finish line. Will any of them hang around the high school game long enough to one day threaten Haywood's mark? Dudley Hilton is #2 all-time with 409 wins, but his own advanced age is working against him here. Kevin Wallace - currently tied for 5th with 336 wins - may have the best chance of any active coach. He's 60/61 years old - relatively young compared to Haywood and Hilton - and is situated nicely at St. X going forward. But there's still a lot of ground between him and Haywood, and the latter doesn't appear to be done yet.

Bob Beatty's 15 state championships

When Dale Mueller retired at Highlands, he was the standard bearer with 11, still good enough for #2. Beatty had 7 titles at the time, and blew right past Mueller to cap his career with 15. Haywood and Mike Yeagle are tied for third on the list with 8 apiece. There are more state championships up for grabs with six classes, but I'll throw back to the point about not as many coaches being in it for the long haul these days. And the number of coaches who have clustered together a bunch of titles in a short span like the four men already mentioned is modest. Haywood, being the active leader, would have to carry on winning state titles year after year into his 80s. I wouldn't completely rule that out as a possibility, but it's highly unlikely. Beatty's mark is one that could stand for a very long time. 

Corey Robinson's 91 touchdown passes in 2007

Robinson (Lone Oak) was playing Madden on rookie difficulty that year. The previous record of 62 - established in 2005 - didn't even last two full years. Robinson didn't just ease past the record by two or three, he obliterated it. The closest anyone has come since, was Owensboro Catholic's Drew Hartz with 57 in 2019. That's a staggering number itself, but it's still 34 shy of Robinson's mark. You'd almost have to be trying to break that record just to come close.

It's worth mentioning that Robinson also holds the single season passing yardage standard, as well. His 5,872 yards in 2007 are nearly 1,200 yards clear of #2.

Mike Sutkamp's 487 carries in 1981

This is one of the older records still on the books. It's not here because it blew away all other seasons below it - it's just 31 more carries than the #2 mark. It's here because the bell cow running back is a dying breed. Who's going to feed the ball to one player nearly 500 times in one season in this day and age? Like all other records, this one could fall anytime, but it's stood for over 40 years for a reason. Only twice in the last twenty years has a player even come within a hundred carries of Sutkamp's (Bellevue) number.

Any others that verge on being "unbreakable"?

With the running clock being implemented it will be almost impossible for somebody to beat Robinsons records.  They were leaving him in for entire games throwing for 7-10 TDs no matter what the score was.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, zoneblitz24 said:

With the running clock being implemented it will be almost impossible for somebody to beat Robinsons records.  They were leaving him in for entire games throwing for 7-10 TDs no matter what the score was.

Was there not a running clock rule in 07? I thought that had been around a while? 

9 minutes ago, zoneblitz24 said:

7 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Was there not a running clock rule in 07? I thought that had been around a while? 

4 minutes ago, zoneblitz24 said:

I do not believe there was.

The KHSAA adopted the football running clock in 2001 for a score differential of 45+ and then in 2013 they dropped the score differential required for a running clock to 36+.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

The KHSAA adopted the football running clock in 2001 for a score differential of 45+ and then in 2013 they dropped the score differential required for a running clock to 36+.

That still is a significant drop.  I was a senior in high school that year and I remember them beating teams by crazy margins where Robinson was still throwing TDs late in the 4th quarter.  That's a record I honestly don't see getting broken anytime soon. 

• Like 2