East Carter vs. Mason County Predictions/Updates

DevilMayCare

Raiders vs. Royals  

20 members have voted

1. 1. The winner will be...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/20/2021 at 12:00 AM

5u3lbm.thumb.jpg.dba76a32eba122555f572d8396107795.jpg

Raiders and Royals vie for berth in state semifinals

Records: East Carter (10-3), Mason County (9-3)

BGP Ranking: both unranked in 3A

Series History: Mason County leads 16-8 all-time

Table Setter: Grayson is still buzzing following the events of last Friday. East Carter defeated the Ashland Tomcats for the first time in program history - 15 games spanning 40 years - and claimed its first district championship in 38 years. The RPI points accrued by the Raiders' ten wins are keeping them at home for another week, this time playing host to a familiar face they haven't seen in seven years.

If East Carter is having a breakthrough year, Mason County's is one of resurgence. Last week, the Royals simultaneously halted a nine game losing streak to Fleming County and an eight year district championship drought.

These are uncharted waters for coaches Tim Champlin and Joe Wynn, both in their early to mid 30s. Mason County has been here before as a program, but East Carter is venturing into the third week of the playoffs for the first time.

Expect to hear the name Charlie Terry over the PA system often this Friday. He's the workhorse that the East Carter offense thrives on. He's totaled over 1,500 yards rushing and 28 touchdowns this season. He'll test a Mason County squad that's hung its hat on defense, allowing a 3A best 10.5 points per game this year.

Placing second in maybe the weakest district in 3A, getting to round 3 and finally getting past Fleming County has made this a successful season for first-year (at MC) Coach Wynn. 

And the folks in Grayson have to be even happier with how their year has played out  A lot of folks probably figured a feline Tomcat-Panther matchup was in the cards. 

While I really don’t have much in the way of ties to the Mason County schools any more, I still pull for them.  

Heart: 16-14 Royals. 

Head:  27-6 Raiders. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

The Raiders will be looking to do to Mason what they did to Ashland last week and that is get the first win in program history according to the KHSAA the Raiders are 0-11 vs the Royals. Go Raiders!!

@DevilMayCareposted that Mason County leads the series 16-8. I’m not certain to be honest, but 0-11 doesn’t sound right. 

12 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

The Raiders will be looking to do to Mason what they did to Ashland last week and that is get the first win in program history according to the KHSAA the Raiders are 0-11 vs the Royals. Go Raiders!!

1 hour ago, BigCATDad said:

@DevilMayCareposted that Mason County leads the series 16-8. I’m not certain to be honest, but 0-11 doesn’t sound right. 

The full series history is 16-8 in favor of Mason County. The 0-11 mark for East Carter is since 1998, which is as far back as the khsaa records show. Only a couple of the games during this win streak for the Royals have been competitive. 

7 minutes ago, DevilMayCare said:

The full series history is 16-8 in favor of Mason County. The 0-11 mark for East Carter is since 1998, which is as far back as the khsaa records show. Only a couple of the games during this win streak for the Royals have been competitive. 

Okay I can’t believe East has won 8 times must have been in 70’s and early 80’s I drove bus for the football team from mid 80’s through 2014 and I can’t ever remember us winning let alone 8 times but that is definitely better than 0-11. lol

27 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Who does the winner of this game get? 

It depends on how the other 3A games shake out. Assuming #1 CAL wins, East Carter would likely head to the Glasgow/Bardstown winner. Mason County would probably have to go CAL. But nothing is set in stone yet.