Hazard at Pikeville Predictions/Updates

Who wins this matchup?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this matchup?

Pikeville comes into this 2nd round playoff matchup at 10-2. They beat Phelps in the 1st round 49-0 on Thursday night. Pikeville won this matchup in the regular season 17-0 on the road at Hazard. Pikeville is averaging close to 28 points per game on offense and giving up just 8 points per game on defense. Hazard comes into this matchup after a very exciting and hard fought win against Sayre in the first round of the playoffs 24-21. Hazard milked the last 8:59 on the clock to conserve the victory. Hazard will come into this matchup scoring close to 24 points per game, and giving up close to 16 points per game. 
 Who wins this playoff rivalry matchup? Does Pikeville get its 2nd straight win over Hazard? Does Hazard come to Pikeville again and avenge the regular season loss?

• Thanks 1

This is where 1A was blown wide open last year. Does it happen again? I say no.

I was wrong about the game a few weeks ago. I thought Pikeville would roll, but Hazard made them work. I think Hazard can make them work again, but the Bulldogs haven't been able to put together a good offensive performance against quality team yet this year and Pikeville's defense is in lockdown mode at the moment. I think the Panther D and Birchfield's legs will be enough to secure a comfortable win for the 1A favorite.

• Like 1

What are the details on the regular season game? Turnovers a factor? Hazard must have had some offensive success for the game to finish 17-0. Why didn't Hazard score? Did all key players for both teams play in the regular season game? Answers to those questions will help determine if Hazard has a chance at the upset.

Hazard moved the ball but couldn’t convert in the red zone. 2 interceptions, and a turnover on downs and a fumble. I can’t remember if they was in scoring position on it though. Pikeville was healthy only missing Brayden Thomas ( of played for hazard 1st game of season). Hazard was missing starting defensive lineman Kyle Barnett who is done with the year as he tore everything in his knee. Hazard has added a big freshmen lineman who has been out all season with a broke leg until last regular season game. He just isn’t in good shape so he’s limited. 

• Thanks 1

Hazard has a shot to win this game. If they are to win they will need to have drives that come up with scores. Hazard in the last game had an almost 7 minute drive to start the 3rd quarter with a score to push the lead out. Then in the 4th they basically had a 9 minute drive which ended the game to preserve the win. They also need to cut out turnovers. If they have more than 1 then there chances to win decrease. They will also need to not help Pikeville with penalties to extend drives. They will also of course will need to keep Birchfield bottled up. If they can do that, then they have a shot.

10 hours ago, Bac2369 said:

Hazard has a shot to win this game. If they are to win they will need to have drives that come up with scores. Hazard in the last game had an almost 7 minute drive to start the 3rd quarter with a score to push the lead out. Then in the 4th they basically had a 9 minute drive which ended the game to preserve the win. They also need to cut out turnovers. If they have more than 1 then there chances to win decrease. They will also need to not help Pikeville with penalties to extend drives. They will also of course will need to keep Birchfield bottled up. If they can do that, then they have a shot.

They also don't have to look far for inspiration. They pulled it off last year. I'm sure that game has been referenced at practice and in the film room this week. Hazard can draw from last year and everything they did right a couple of weeks ago. 

If anyone is superstitious, just thought this was kind of wild.. The score last year was 12-21. This game is being played on 12th day of the year 21.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Bac2369 said:

If anyone is superstitious, just thought this was kind of wild.. The score last year was 12-21. This game is being played on 12th day of the year 21.

I'm not very superstitious, but that might change if Hazard can pull this off again.