Tiebreaker Rule

Multiple districts have tiebreaker situations for playoff seeding. From what I found on KHSAA website, RPI will be used to break ties and set the seeds for the playoffs. RPI continues through week 11 and then is set for the playoffs. To be clear, RPI is set from regular season games. Playoff results are not included and do not change RPI. Thus, ties will not be officially broken and seeding set until next week's games are completed and final RPI numbers are completed.

• Like 2

Can anyone find when they switched over to implement that? On the KHSAA site, it still talks about “future consideration” to be given to doing that, but for 2019 RPI wouldn’t be used. As in, that section wasn’t updated after 2019. But when you go to the three way ties section, it definitely says “RPI to break”. 

RPI is such an awful, awful tool of theirs. 

2 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

Can anyone find when they switched over to implement that? On the KHSAA site, it still talks about “future consideration” to be given to doing that, but for 2019 RPI wouldn’t be used. As in, that section wasn’t updated after 2019. But when you go to the three way ties section, it definitely says “RPI to break”. 

I know they used it last year because St. X wasn't able to host because Manual had higher RPI because Manual couldn't play St. X in regular season because of Covid.

11 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

I am guessing they made the change in 2020. I found one place on khsaa.org that said RPI would not be used for tiebreakers in 2019. Then RPI was used in 2020 to break ties. Here is the link where I found the information saying RPI will break ties.

https://khsaa.org/2021-final-adjusted-standings-after-tie-breakers/

That link also shows all the districts that currently have three way ties.

32 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

How would you break ties then? A draw? I agree its not ideal, just never have heard of a good alternative.

I would think they HAD to switch to RPI last year with so many teams not playing a full schedule due to covid. The old tiebreaker simply wouldn't have been workable with teams all playing a different number of games. While this year wasn't as bad, the same thought still probably applies. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

How would you break ties then? A draw? I agree its not ideal, just never have heard of a good alternative.

I found nothing wrong with the old system. 

I’m not opposed to the idea of RPI, but it is a deeply, deeply flawed formula, especially in how it relates to games against out of state teams. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

I found nothing wrong with the old system. 

I’m not opposed to the idea of RPI, but it is a deeply, deeply flawed formula, especially in how it relates to games against out of state teams. 

Gotcha, I assumed that might be the problem.  It's not the concept of the RPI, its the formula within it.

• Like 1