NKY Top 10, Sep 13th edition

With NDA, Highlands and SK traveling to Lexington this week it doesn’t have much to be desired this week as far as games in NKY.  I see only 2 games Conner @ Cooper and Ryle @ Dixie which will be the only Top 10 match ups.  With that being said here is my NKY Top 10 rankings which once again I will show the Maher Rankings based on NKY only filter.

1. NDA (12-0) (Last week #1) (Maher Ranking #1)

- Another great week for the Pandas knocking off Simon Kenton and Conner

• 3 games this week:  This might be the biggest test NDA has all year!  To start the Lex Cath tourney vs Sacred Heart, then the winner or loser of Manual/Dunbar then to finish the week will “Probably” face either Lex Cath or Highlands.

2. HIGHLANDS (6-2) (Last week #2) (Maher Ranking #2)

- Highlands just couldn’t do much offensively against East Central and gave up a crazy deep shot of a goal for the lone goal for East Central to win.  Had a great relaxing game against Eastern to wrap up the week before this week.

• 3 games this week:  The first game in the Lex Cath tourney is a rematch against Lex Cath who spoiled Highlands potential run to the title last year in the 1st round of the State Tourney, losing in PKs.  Then either a game against Assumption or Simon Kenton and then “probably” either a rematch against NDA or a game against Sacred Heart on Saturday.  

3. DIXIE (7-4-1) (Last week #4) (Maher Ranking #3)

- This might be controversial but Dixie is riding a 4 game win streak which includes convincing wins against NKY opponents NCC, Villa, St Henry and then their last game against perennial power West Jess.  I felt that they deserved to leapfrog Cooper b/c of their games won in comfortable fashion and Cooper still not really playing anyone to make me feel strong about their #3 slot.

• 3 games this week (Ludlow, Ryle & Scott)

4. COOPER (11-2) (Last week #3) (Maher Ranking #6)

- I only dropped them to #4.  They have 2 decent opponents this week with Holy Cross and Conner.  Let’s see how they fare against them

• 2 games this week (Holy Cross & Conner)

5. CAMPBELL COUNTY (9-3-1) (Last week #6) (Maher Ranking #5)

- 2 strong wins against Holy Cross and Montgomery County last week.  Looks like 3 more wins on the horizon this week.

• 3 games this week (Boone, Pendleton Co & Calvary Christian)

6.  CONNER (5-5-4) (Last week #7) (Maher Ranking #7)

- Thanks to the win against Ryle they got to leap frog them.  Big game against Cooper later this week.

• 2 games this week (Cooper & Lawrencburg, IN)

7. RYLE (4-3-3) (Last week #5) (Maher Ranking #8)

- A rough week with a tough lose in PKs against Conner and then tied Beechwood.  Can make a statement this week with 2 big games in NKY.

• 2 games this week (NCC & Dixie)

8. SIMON KENTON (4-5-1) (Last week #9) (Maher Ranking #4)

- I am sorry but this is the team that Maher I think has all wrong.  I can deal with how they rank everyone else except SK.  They have a chance to change my mind this week in Lex Cath.  Will they try to win these games or pack it in like they did against NDA and lose 0-2 or 1-3 to try to make it look like they are better then they are…..we will see

• 3 games this week (Assumption, then the loser of Lex Cath/Highlands, then either Manual or Dunbar….my guess)

9. BEECHWOOD (6-3-2) (Last week #10) (Maher Ranking #10)

- The only reason Beechwood moves up is b/c NCC moved out!

• 2 games this week (St Henry & Scott)

10 BISHOP BROSSART (5-4-1) (Last week NR) (Maher Ranking #9)

- Welcome to the Party!  Brossart is riding a 3 game win streak against Woodford Co, Calvary Christian and then the team they are replacing in the Top 10 NCC who they beat convincingly 4-1 last week.  They have 3 very winnable games this week to stay put in the Top 10 for another week.  Can they do it.

• 3 games this week (Scott, Lex Christian & Boone Co)

Crazy to think we almost to the end!  Enjoy this week.  I know I will, a lot of great action in KENTUCKY!

• Like 1

From the Sports Desk:

I was so pumped for tonight’s games in Lexington I neglected to give you a run down of the games impacting the Top 10 in NKY.  Well here you go:

#2 Highlands gets redemption from last year and knocks off the host Lex Cath in the Lex Cath Tourney 2-1!  More details in the other thread.

#3 Dixie ho hums Ludlow 15-0.

#4 Cooper and Holy Cross have a nice battle as @rjalpointed out in the other thread which ends in a 1-1 tie.

#5 Campbell County beats up on poor Boone Co 10-0

#7 Ryle enjoys a fun game against NCC winning 2-1, first win for Ryle since Aug 25th!

#8 Simon Kenton just couldn’t pull the magic they needed against Assumption losing 1-0 in Lex Cath Tourney.

#9 Beechwood sneaks out a close one against St. Henry winning 2-1

#10 Bishop Brossart making a statement with first game in the Top 10 winning very nicely against Scott 6-1.  In their 4 game winning steak they have scored 24 goals and only given up 2.  Nice job girls, nice job!

• Like 2

Real quick:  Last night recap on the NDA game is on the Lex Cath tourney thread.

We have some good NKY action tonight for all that want to stay local.  We also have some decent games heading south to Lexington.

Here is the run down:

#2 HIGHLANDS vs Assumption, 8PM

• write up on tourney thread

#7 RYLE @ #3 Dixie, 8pm

• Ryle finally got a much needed win in their last game but with this being Dixie at Dixie, I think they are ready and excited to show their home fans what they are all about.

#6 CONNER @ #4 Cooper, 8pm

• Here is my next attempt to upset my rankings.  I am going with the visiting Conner Cougars in this one.  I just feel Cooper has benifitted from a easy schedule and won’t be able to adjust to a team like Conner.

Pendleton Co @ #5 Campbell County, 7:30pm

• Campbell County all night long!  Not even going to be close.

#8 Simon Kenton vs Lex Cath, 6pm

• write up on tourney thread

Scott @ #9 Beechwood, 8pm

• Paging Mr. Spurrier, time for another beat down game for Beechwood.  Mercy rule will be accomplished.

#10 Bishop Brossart @ Lex Christian, 7:30pm

• Bishop Brossart should have a happy drive home after this game.

Enjoy the full night of soccer.  Only NDA having the night off in the Top 10, but rightfully so after last nights game.

• Like 1

Ryle v Dixie is definitely the most interesting match up to me.   Dixie, who scores a lot with several good offensive weapons vs. the stingy Ryle defense!  If Ryle can create a goal (Dixie's defense is susceptible) to get a lead, they can pack in the defense and make it tough on Dixie. 

7 minutes ago, Big Red said:

Ryle holds typically high scoring Dixie to 1 goal to earn the TIE (see above)!  I would have liked to seen this game.  Can anyone provide a bit of color on this match?

I’ll give you my take. 

I’ll start with why I understand the Dixie conundrum. They have the talent/speed to be second/third best in NKY. Their physical play actually to me hinders that. 

First half was pretty much controlled by Dixie.  Quite a few attacks making Keelee make some decent saves. Ryle hit the post off a free kick. 
Goal one - controversial because the Ryle head coach sees it out of bounds played up in the air and across set down and finished for the goal. AR conference with center for a minute - goal stands. He allowed a lot of contact making the game a bit ugly. 

Second half was back and forth - center ref tried to get the contact back under control with I believe 5 yellows on Dixie. Ryle committed maybe 4/5 fouls all game and receiving two yellows (same girl) so ended with 10. 
goal two - controversial- ball played through to forward , in the box center back comes over for the clear and gets the ball and the forwards ankle (she did not play again) center points for Dixie kick then AR conference leads to a PK. 

Following the tying goal, the game was just back and forth up in the air and not enjoyable unless you like chaos. Ryle hit what looked like the inside of the goal post on our side but treated as outside of the post. Interested to the see the video on that shot. 

• Thanks 1

For the results breakdown from last night here we go:

#2 Highlands wins against Assumption, 3-0

• Comments on Tourney thread

#3 Dixie ties #7 Ryle, 1-1

• I think there is enough comments above to tell you how that went.  I will add, Dixie physical?  No way, that so surprises me……NOT!

#4 Cooper wins in PKs against District rival #6 Conner, 3-2

• I guess you win some and you lose some if you go to PKs, crazy to think both Conner district games had to go all the way to PKs for a winner.

Lex Cath beats up Simon Kenton in Lex Cath Tourney, 5-1

• I would say more comments on Tourney thread, but what else did you expect?

#9 Beechwood pulls back barely and only beats Scott, 8-0

#5 Campbell County versus Pendleton County was cancelled due to Covid

#10 Bishop Brossart versus Lex Christian must have been cancelled prior to last night as well.  Don’t know why though.

• Like 1