Christian County hires Rick Gehres as head football coach.

From Gehres' profile on the Campbellsville Tigers website:

While starting his collegiate career at Western Kentucky University as a quarterback, he transferred to Campbellsville as a wide receiver in the fall of 2001. A 2004 graduate, Gehres is among the leaders in several receiving categories. The Hopkinsville, KY native was a two-time First Team All-MSC selection and was named an Honorable Mention NAIA All-American in 2002.  He was a pre-season NAIA All-American in 2003.

During his time at Campbellsville, the Tigers went 31-14 overall including a season at 10-3 with the first NAIA Playoff victory in school history advancing them to the second round of the NAIA Playoffs. In 2003, he helped lead the Tigers to a 9-2 finish which ties for the best regular season record at CU. He finished his career at 153 Receptions for 2,202 Yards and 15 Touchdowns.

Before returning to Campbellsville as a position coach in 2006, Gehres coached wide receivers at Hopkinsville High School where they finished 10-3 in 2005.

After graduating from CU, Gehres played overseas in the German Football League (GFL) the spring of 2005, where they finished 12-2 on the year, amassing 73 receptions for 1,246 yards and 15 touchdowns. In 2006, Gehres spent time in Arena Football playing both sides of the ball while starting on defense for the Odessa (TX) Roughnecks (IFL).

This was a very strange hire as there were at least 3 proven head coaches that applied and did not get the job. The basketball hire led to 0 wins for the first time in history. The baseball team has only one win this season.  Let’s hope this once powerhouse is not downgrading sports?

12 minutes ago, The Flea Market said:

This was a very strange hire as there were at least 3 proven head coaches that applied and did not get the job. The basketball hire led to 0 wins for the first time in history. The baseball team has only one win this season.  Let’s hope this once powerhouse is not downgrading sports?

Seems like a really solid hire. Proven track record in college,  I’ve heard he is a really good offensive mind. What makes people think you have to go to guys who’ve been previous head coaches 

Just now, Footballmania said:

Seems like a really solid hire. Proven track record in college,  I’ve heard he is a really good offensive mind. What makes people think you have to go to guys who’ve been previous head coaches 

Agreed. Head coaching experience is overrated. Especially if it isn’t quality head coaching experience. Good hire by the Colonels. Let’s see what happens. 

• Like 1

Wow some hostility in this thread!!!  maybe the colonel crew should realize where they are and that a talented offensive mind who will push character, hard work, and player development.  His roots will serve the community well.   I wish coach Gehres well!!!!

I wish him well also but usually you go with the best candidate that applies? Looking at his bio it appears he did not work this year? Why was he asked to leave his last job? These are questions that are asked and looked at in most coaching searches? Time will tell but the last hire they made did not win a game for the first time in the history of this once proud school?

24 minutes ago, The Flea Market said:

I wish him well also but usually you go with the best candidate that applies? Looking at his bio it appears he did not work this year? Why was he asked to leave his last job? These are questions that are asked and looked at in most coaching searches? Time will tell but the last hire they made did not win a game for the first time in the history of this once proud school?

The basketball coach had head coaching experience as well before they hired him. 

Yes he did, I was told he had been a head coach for 12 years and only had 1year with a winning record. You would think a school with the history would not be a training ground for new coaches. This school had great coaches in the past. Took Fred Clayton from Caldwell and Dan Goble from the Louisville area. Both were seasoned head coaches. 

28 minutes ago, The Flea Market said:

Assuming they didn't have a bunch of folks turn down the job, which I realize is certainly a possibility, then there are clearly some folks who do feel like they went with the best candidate that applied when they hired Coach Gehres.

I'm not sure what Ricky was up to in the year since Coach Pardue replaced him as OC at Campbellsville Univ, but I would assume he was working on figuring out what the right next move was for him. I can definitely see where someone in the position of a NAIA coordinator would have to give some definite thought as to what their next move is...do you look for another job as a NAIA assistant, or do you look to see if you can move up to a NCAA D2 or NCAA FCS program, or could looking at high schools be the right move for you?

Regardless, I think it was pretty obvious that the reason he was asked to leave his last job was because of the Tigers' 1-9 record in 2019. Does that make him a bad coach? Nope. Looking at the Campbellsville records during Geheres' tenure as OC, it sure looks like they were able to put points on the scoreboard - even in 2019 when they were averaging over 21 points per game in their 1-9 season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Flea Market said:

For the record I have nothing against him and no little about him except what was published. He has no where to go but up as the last staff won one game the last two years!

That’s the way I look at it. Regardless Christian County is at rock bottom. They are a distant second fiddle to Hopkinsville in football and need someone to try and bring some energy to keep players on their side of the district from leaving.