2021 Contenders

ForTheH

1A:

Paintsville still has some key pieces returning but Pikeville will most likely enter as the favorites with what they have back including a D-1 QB.

2A:

LCA probably will start off as the rightful favorite with the skill they return. Mayfield should be much improved. Beechwood has to replace Hergott but will be in the chase.

3A:

Mercer County and Glasgow appear to have the most back. All the "heavyweights" including Champion Ashland are about to be hit pretty hard by graduation and loss of key playmakers. Lawrence County is an interesting team to keep an eye on.

4A:
Usual suspects... Boyle, Johnson Central, Franklin County, Central, etc. Corbin may enter as the favorite though as they return a ton off a solid team.

5A:
Usual suspects. Owensboro returns Wimsatt and will be tough, Bowling Green and South Warren will be there, Frederick Douglass has some high end talent back, expect CovCath to be better.

6A:

Big 3. Male should make up some ground on trinity, but Trinity is the class of the Commonwealth.

In 6A, Male returns a lot. St. X returns 8 starters on good defense plus Senior and Junior classes both went undefeated as freshman. Trinity loses 20 starters but can’t ever count Trinity out since Beatty does great job of developing kids. I think it will be good to have more parity at the top.

35 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

In 6A, Male returns a lot. St. X returns 8 starters on good defense plus Senior and Junior classes both went undefeated as freshman. Trinity loses 20 starters but can’t ever count Trinity out since Beatty does great job of developing kids. I think it will be good to have more parity at the top.

Luckily the backups this year at Trinity were able to see plenty of playing time. Next season will be interesting though with Male and X having more experienced players.

• Like 1

2A - My way too early prediction is a rematch of this year's epic state title game - Beechwood vs. Lexington Christian. 

LCA - which has to be considered the early favorite next year - returns the very impressive trio of junior offensive starts in QB Drew Nieves, RB/WR Xavier Brown (my early 2A fav. for Mr. Football next year), and WR Mason Moore. My guess is Coach Charles and his crew will be extra motivated to get back to Kroger Field. Aside from that 3-headed beast led by Nieves, LCA has an impressive listed of talented youngsters that will aid in the run next year -- namely Parker Chaney, Elijah Hammond, Tyler Morris, Chance McGaughey, and the cannon-legged Andrew Dobbs. 

Beechwood, on the other hand, only loses 3.5 defensive starters and 3 offensive starters. The key will be - obviously - who takes the reigns from Cam Hergott. That said, the 21 senior and junior classes are LOADED for Beechwood, led by breakout junior two-way star Mitchell Berger, senior WR/S/kick blocker Brady Moore, senior MLB Michael Hatfield, and OL/DL Xavier Campbell (junior) and Luke Slusher (senior). With the depth and talent in the program, filling Hergott's spot with even a mediocre replacement should put the Tigers back in contention for another state title. 

Can't wait...will be an amazing season I'm guessing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrosefStalin said:

2A - My way too early prediction is a rematch of this year's epic state title game - Beechwood vs. Lexington Christian. 

LCA - which has to be considered the early favorite next year - returns the very impressive trio of junior offensive starts in QB Drew Nieves, RB/WR Xavier Brown (my early 2A fav. for Mr. Football next year), and WR Mason Moore. My guess is Coach Charles and his crew will be extra motivated to get back to Kroger Field. Aside from that 3-headed beast led by Nieves, LCA has an impressive listed of talented youngsters that will aid in the run next year -- namely Parker Chaney, Elijah Hammond, Tyler Morris, Chance McGaughey, and the cannon-legged Andrew Dobbs. 

Beechwood, on the other hand, only loses 3.5 defensive starters and 3 offensive starters. The key will be - obviously - who takes the reigns from Cam Hergott. That said, the 21 senior and junior classes are LOADED for Beechwood, led by breakout junior two-way star Mitchell Berger, senior WR/S/kick blocker Brady Moore, senior MLB Michael Hatfield, and OL/DL Xavier Campbell (junior) and Luke Slusher (senior). With the depth and talent in the program, filling Hergott's spot with even a mediocre replacement should put the Tigers back in contention for another state title. 

Can't wait...will be an amazing season I'm guessing. 

2A. Mayfield will be back in contention next year too as only graduate 5 seniors.  9 starters back on offense, and 9 on defense, Mayfield will back back at their level.

• Like 1

Just now, R1 sports fan said:

2A. Mayfield will be back in contention next year too as only graduate 5 seniors.  9 starters back on offense, and 9 on defense, Mayfield will back back at their level.

Will be a great race next year! 

Is Kylan Galbreath going to play at the next level? He really impressed me last year in that state semi-final game. Great back...

• Like 1