BluegrassPreps Class 5A Football Rankings (10/19) - Discussion

TheDeuce

On 10/19/2020 at 7:22 PM, bluecolonels95 said:

Just not the same intriguing matchups are they. Need to get back the old playoff format. 

As of today, under the old format the third round would be:

South Warren/Bowling Green at Owensboro

Fairdale at North Bullitt

Covington Catholic at Frederick Douglass

Madison Southern at Southwestern

Then people would be fussing because the semifinals are blowouts.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, YOUTH2019 said:

Let’s all keep in mind to that the one thing not one person is talking about is the stout offensive line that Covcath has.  Only giving up 1 sack through 5 games.  Covcath will be game ready for the southern teams.  Honestly the coaching staff alone is a 7 point advantage against anyone. 

Well I think there's a couple reasons for that:

1. The casual fan doesn't notice the offensive line unless it's really bad. Most fans, unless you have a kid or family friend on the line, don't focus on them, they watch the ball. They really have to be punishing teams in the run game (like vs. Highlands) or giving the Qb "all day" to throw for them to be noticed.

2. There is no high profile recruit like they've had the past few years on there like Murrer, Ziggy, Jones, etc. so that affects perception.

3. We were under 4 yards per carry against both BW and Dixie and under 5 ypc against Cooper. That's not good. I realize that we start some younger guys in the middle, and the run game is not all the O-Line, but no one is getting fired up about that output. 

4. Caleb helps prevent some sacks with his pocket movement/escapability and he's also massive, so he's difficult to bring down.

5. We're really well coached up front and certainly above average. I hope we see more games like last Friday night. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, YOUTH2019 said:

Let’s all keep in mind to that the one thing not one person is talking about is the stout offensive line that Covcath has.  Only giving up 1 sack through 5 games.  Covcath will be game ready for the southern teams.  Honestly the coaching staff alone is a 7 point advantage against anyone. 

I wouldn't put much stock in the 1 sack in 5 games stat to evaluate the O-line. South Warren has given up 0 sacks so far this year. It all depends on who you are playing. Now Cov Cath's offensive line is probably better than SW. I won't argue that. However, I doubt they've faced a D-line as tough as SW yet. South has only allowed 96 total yards rushing in 4 games, with BG as one of its opponents. And that includes 3 quarters of JV play. Until the top 5 or 6 teams play challenging games, it's hard to really understand where you stand.

Hopefully we'll meet in the playoffs. Good luck.

• Like 2