TheDeuce

BluegrassPreps Class 5A Football Rankings (10/19) - Discussion

Class 5A

In the build up to volume #72 of the Covington Catholic/Highlands rivalry, the only thing certain, was uncertainty. The Colonels were unbeaten, but relatively unimpressive compared to their recent, sky high standard. And the Bluebirds had built confidence and belief on the strength of two running clock wins, but was it all a mirage? Predictions ranged from a tight four quarter affair, to a comfortable three score CovCath win. No one was calling for a six touchdown steamrolling. Whether it's talent or coaching, the events that unfolded in Park Hills last Friday indicate that the gap between the two programs is still substantial. 

The two Warren County heavyweights continued their march toward a November rematch. South Warren overcame a pick-six on its first snap of the game and another turnover-turned-touchdown to eventually dispatch previously unbeaten Greenwood. Bowling Green, on the other hand, was never threatened in its 42-0 blowout of Christian County. The Purples and Spartans swap opponents this week.

Graves County picked off Gavin Wimsatt twice and got a productive night out of running back Clint McKee to hang tough with Owensboro, but the Red Devils, who once again check in at #1 in the RPI, got big plays from their defense and special teams to help keep the Eagles at bay. This was probably Owensboro's last significant hurdle to sewing up home field for the district portion of the playoffs.

An intriguing inter-class match-up pits Scott County versus a battle tested Ballard squad. It gives the Cardinals a common opponent of quality to gauge Douglass on, a week ahead of their collision with the Broncos.

Southwestern and Pulaski County both won big in Week 6 to set the stage for the renewal of their Pulaski County civil war. This game started the Maroons' downfall last year, when quarterback Drew Polston suffered a season ending injury against the Warriors. History may be on the verge of repeating itself, as Polston left last week's game with an undisclosed injury. His status for this week is not known at this time.

The consistency in this class has been incredible so far. The order at the very top has changed a few times, but the top six positions have been held down by the same six teams every week this season.

1. Frederick Douglass vs. Montgomery County

2. Covington Catholic vs. Conner

3. South Warren vs. Christian County

4. Bowling Green vs. Greenwood

5. Owensboro at Grayson County

6. Scott County at 6A #7 Ballard

7. North Bullitt vs. Atherton

8. Southwestern vs. #9 Pulaski County

9. Pulaski County at #8 Southwestern

10. Highlands vs. Cooper

I think we see a 5A rematch from last year.    The top 2 teams stay the top 2 teams for the rest of the year.

13 minutes ago, bluecolonels95 said:

I think we see a 5A rematch from last year.    The top 2 teams stay the top 2 teams for the rest of the year.

I agree.

21 minutes ago, bluecolonels95 said:

We will have to wait and see how the RPI's shake out to see if we get a 5A state championship rematch. CovCath and Douglass may have to play before the championship or both may have tough road games in the semifinals. Travelling adds another obstacle to overcome as the BG/SW survivor and Owensboro look to be solid teams.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

We will have to wait and see how the RPI's shake out to see if we get a 5A state championship rematch. CovCath and Douglass may have to play before the championship or both may have tough road games in the semifinals. Travelling adds another obstacle to overcome as the BG/SW survivor and Owensboro look to be solid teams.

True about the RPI but I think both teams win out in the regular season and they should leap frog all other teams by end of year. 

15 minutes ago, bluecolonels95 said:

True about the RPI but I think both teams win out in the regular season and they should leap frog all other teams by end of year. 

I'm not sure both will leap Owensboro if they win out.  Henderson County is a 6A school which should be a nice RPI boost.  FD will get a big boost with St X and Scott County (I think they will shoot up quite a bit).  CovCath has 2 .500 schools left on their schedule so I doubt they do.  BG has Trinity and if somehow they pulled that one out, they would go up quite a bit.  3rd round is going to be a tough game between a couple schools this year (whoever is 4-5 in RPI and maybe 3-6).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brown said:

I'm not sure both will leap Owensboro if they win out.  Henderson County is a 6A school which should be a nice RPI boost.  FD will get a big boost with St X and Scott County (I think they will shoot up quite a bit).  CovCath has 2 .500 schools left on their schedule so I doubt they do.  BG has Trinity and if somehow they pulled that one out, they would go up quite a bit.  3rd round is going to be a tough game between a couple schools this year (whoever is 4-5 in RPI and maybe 3-6).

I agree about the Red Devils being tough to knock out of the #1 spot, hence my post above. But I seriously doubt Bowling Green is going to beat Trinity this year.

• Like 2

Also to Wimsatt getting picked off twice point made by the OP, I addressed that in Owensboro/Grayson prediction thread.  Ohs was driving up 14-7 in the RZ and a pass was caught by his WR at the Graves 10 yard line, juggled, flipped up in the air and right into a Graves defender’s hands.  The other pick was with 5 seconds left in the first half and Wimsatt throwing downfield trying to make something happen. 

Covcath did have to play on the road in the semifinals in both 2017 (S. Warren) and 2018 (Pulaski Co) in order to get to state. If we got to travel then we got to travel. If we do make it that far I just hope it's not FD in the semifinals. They scare me the most. 

It’s a real shame one of Bowling Green and South Warren will go out in the second round.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, R1 sports fan said:

It’s a real shame one of Bowling Green and South Warren will go out in the second round.

And Scott County/Freddy D.

• Like 1

Right now 3rd round would be:

Collins at Owensboro

Fairdale at South Warren/Bowling Green

North Bullitt at Covington Catholic

Frederick Douglass at Southwestern (I am assuming Scott County goes down to Freddy D)

Just not the same intriguing matchups are they. Need to get back the old playoff format. 

• Like 1

I talked in previous threads how I thought CovCath was 2 difference makers away from competing, well 1 showed up on Friday in Trevor Wilson at DE/TE. I’m also 99% sure Zion Mason at WR/DB  is going to be another one when he shows up for the playoffs. 

I still think FD is better and maybe SW/BG but it gets a lot more interesting with CovCath adding those 2 guys.

• Like 4

Let’s all keep in mind to that the one thing not one person is talking about is the stout offensive line that Covcath has.  Only giving up 1 sack through 5 games.  Covcath will be game ready for the southern teams.  Honestly the coaching staff alone is a 7 point advantage against anyone.