Estill 61 Owsley 56 OT

Very well played game by Owsley

Very Poor game by Estill

Estill Shot 28 %

49% from the foul line

and was outplayed in virtually every aspect of the game

Berryman finished with 19 points and 10 rebounds and a game tying layup in regulation.

While Christopher finished with 18 points.

Cackling chipped in 11.

Estill played very poorly on Defense and Owsley took advantage.

Owsley will be a tough out the rest of the way in the 56th.

Congratulations Owls for a very hard fought loss, and tough play on both ends.

Congleton led Owsley with 14.

I am very proud of the Owls tonight.

Owsley played hard and almost pulled off a big win on the road.

It looked like they had it in the bag with less than 1 minute left in regulation when Trey Congleton hit a 3 from the top of the key to gives the Owls a 3 point lead, but Estill connected on a 3 of their own to tie it back up and send it into overtime.

Owsley had their chances to win. Cut down on the turnovers and missed uncontested open bunny-shots, and this game would have been a W.

Hang in there Owls:dancingpa You're getting better every game.:thumb:

Very well played game by Owsley

Very Poor game by Estill

Estill Shot 28 %

49% from the foul line

and was outplayed in virtually every aspect of the game

Berryman finished with 19 points and 10 rebounds and a game tying layup in regulation.

While Christopher finished with 18 points.

Cackling chipped in 11.

Estill played very poorly on Defense and Owsley took advantage.

Owsley will be a tough out the rest of the way in the 56th.

Congratulations Owls for a very hard fought loss, and tough play on both ends.

Congleton led Owsley with 14.

UpnDown,

I agree with you, Estill did have problems with their shooting accuracy, but wouldn't you think Owsley's defense might have a little bit to do with that?

I was really proud of the way the Owls contested shots tonight. They're not a small team BTW. The two Congleton boys are 6'4, Mcintosh is 6'3, and Mainous is 6'2 but his arm length makes him like he's 6'5.

And Owsley's free throw shooting, like Estill's, was not good tonight...12 for 21 for 57%, and many of them front end of a bonus shot.

A fun game to watch imo, and I'm looking forward to seeing the young Owls (one senior) improve as the season progresses.

The district tournament is on the Owls' home court, so one never knows what might happen. Could be some upsets.

UpnDown,

I agree with you, Estill did have problems with their shooting accuracy, but wouldn't you think Owsley's defense might have a little bit to do with that?

I was really proud of the way the Owls contested shots tonight. They're not a small team BTW. The two Congleton boys are 6'4, Mcintosh is 6'3, and Mainous is 6'2 but his arm length makes him like he's 6'5.

And Owsley's free throw shooting, like Estill's, was not good tonight...12 for 21 for 57%, and many of them front end of a bonus shot.

A fun game to watch imo, and I'm looking forward to seeing the young Owls (one senior) improve as the season progresses.

The district tournament is on the Owls' home court, so one never knows what might happen. Could be some upsets.

Agree one hundred percent Professor. Owls whipped Estill in every facet of the game tonight. I am very disappointed in Estill's defense tonight. While the owls contested every shot Estill let Owsley in the paint time and time again for easy baskets. Estill's players seemed to be overlooking Owsley tonight, and I doubt that they do that again.

The Professor's point about defense and shooting accuracy is the one I have been trying to make in a couple of threads, however the Professor is more eloquent. I believe that teams don't get enough credit for causing the other sides shots not to "fall", thereby diminishing the defensive effort. Good job Owls for hanging tough, but also, good job Engineers, for finding way to pull out the win.

The Professor's point about defense and shooting accuracy is the one I have been trying to make in a couple of threads, however the Professor is more eloquent. I believe that teams don't get enough credit for causing the other sides shots not to "fall", thereby diminishing the defensive effort. Good job Owls for hanging tough, but also, good job Engineers, for finding way to pull out the win.

Last night in Stanton the derfense of Powell didn't have a lot to do with Lee missing shots, especially 3 point shots. They were wide open.

But back on subject, good win for Estill over what sounds like a scrappy Owsley team, should be a good game on Friday when the Owls come to Beattyville on homecoming to renew one of the best rivalries in the mountains

Poor effort all of the way around for the Engineers but bottom line is a W is a W. If they don't start playing Defense they will lose a buch of games... period.

I was making reference to past threads in my comment, but you are right. Estill came away with a good win. I have faith that Coach Tiller will correct the wrongs with the team by tournament time. There is a lot of basketball to be played yet, but IMO the defensive struggles are more critical than the shooting struggles. Estill has several kids that will find their stroke eventually, but like you said: no defense = many losses.

From what I have obsereved in the 56th after watching games, there is not near as much of a gap between the 1st and last place teams as originally thought. Estill who is somewhere in the middle right now, did what they had to do in this one, make plays. That would be the sole reason they won. I always wondered why Parrett did not receive more credit for the great run he had with the Jackson county girls. With Neeley leaving, I would have thought this team would have been WAY down, but they appear headed in the right direction.

IMO, the 56th may be one the most balnced districts in the state year in year out. It ceratinly is fun to watch