Kentucky Speedway losing NASCAR race in 2021

nkypete

On 10/1/2020 at 1:59 PM, CincySportsFan said:

While I agree, it also seems dumb to me to build a $150 million facility just to basically use it for one weekend a year.

Really doesn't matter, when Jerry Carroll sucked money out of investors, NASCAR advised them they would be awarded a race date.  B Smith came along and purchased the speedway and moved one of his Atlanta dates to Ky,, now he's returning it to Atlanta.

9 hours ago, theguru said:

I had no idea Kentucky was going to lose its NASCAR Race but I am not surprised.  I am probably more into NASCAR than anything right now and as much as I like having a race in Kentucky it always strikes me as cookie cutter.  I definitely feel like Kentucky is one of the low points of the schedule each year.

I do see there are a lot of changes for next year including racing on dirt at Bristol and a race at the Circuit of the Americas which is a purpose built F1 track.  

standings.jpg.5c2f4c76d50e5daabd12d3d39df37e4c.jpg

Here are the standings for the 2020 Playoffs.  Kurt Busch got a little lucky last week and came up with a surprise win to advance to the next round and his little brother the defending champ Kyle Busch is currently below the cut line and hasn't won a race all year.  Harvick and Hamlin have been killing it this year and have to be favorites.

Anyone else been watching much?

I think alot of NASCAR fans are doing what I did years ago and that is get interested in Formula One.  The technology of those F1 cars is amazing and the racing is more exciting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bert said:

I think alot of NASCAR fans are doing what I did years ago and that is get interested in Formula One.  The technology of those F1 cars is amazing and the racing is more exciting.

I have been thinking about responding to this thread the last couple of days and I couldn't decide if I like NASCAR or F1 better.  

And how about Lewis Hamilton, even in Russia with a 10 second penalty he still finished 3rd.  

5 hours ago, theguru said:

I have been thinking about responding to this thread the last couple of days and I couldn't decide if I like NASCAR or F1 better.  

And how about Lewis Hamilton, even in Russia with a 10 second penalty he still finished 3rd.  

As much as F1 entertains me, not having cable/dish/other pay service limits my viewing of the races so I really haven't been able to keep up.  That and needing to pick up a second job has wiped out free time, blahhhh.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 11:15 PM, Bert said:

On 10/2/2020 at 11:18 PM, theguru said:

I have always been an Indy Car guy.  I watched the Indy 500 since I was a kid (Mario Andretti was and is my guy).  I started going to Pole Day in Indianapolis when I was in High School.  I went to my first Indy 500 in 2000 and have missed about 3 or 4 since then.  But it has gotten difficult to watch and the drivers aren't what they used to be.  But we used to go to KY Speedway for the Indy Car race every year until Meiers dropped their sponsorship.  But that's been a long time ago now.

I then started watching NASCAR as my brother in law is a HUGE fan (of Dale Jr mostly) and I liked it ok.  I like the drivers better than IndyCar.  But those 500 mile races are tough to watch when the real action is only the last 50 laps.  I just haven't gotten back into it, but will probably go to the Nashville race when it comes around.

I then started watching F1 and love it!  If Mercedes had some competition it would be REALLY good.  The skill at that level is enormous!  The car tech is through the roof and going from Country to Country is really cool.  I like how there is a Lead pack, mid pack and dogs in the back.  This allows for really 3 races in 1.  Also, I don't understand though how you have team mates, but that's the one guy you're expected to beat???  So are you really teammates?  Seems like automatic drama.  If you're team mates, your supposed to help each other, not make sure your teammate doesn't beat you as Job #1.  If they could have 2 races in the US it would help their popularity here.  It's way HUGE oversees!

14 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

I have always been an Indy Car guy.  I watched the Indy 500 since I was a kid (Mario Andretti was and is my guy).  I started going to Pole Day in Indianapolis when I was in High School.  I went to my first Indy 500 in 2000 and have missed about 3 or 4 since then.  But it has gotten difficult to watch and the drivers aren't what they used to be.  But we used to go to KY Speedway for the Indy Car race every year until Meiers dropped their sponsorship.  But that's been a long time ago now.

I then started watching NASCAR as my brother in law is a HUGE fan (of Dale Jr mostly) and I liked it ok.  I like the drivers better than IndyCar.  But those 500 mile races are tough to watch when the real action is only the last 50 laps.  I just haven't gotten back into it, but will probably go to the Nashville race when it comes around.

I then started watching F1 and love it!  If Mercedes had some competition it would be REALLY good.  The skill at that level is enormous!  The car tech is through the roof and going from Country to Country is really cool.  I like how there is a Lead pack, mid pack and dogs in the back.  This allows for really 3 races in 1.  Also, I don't understand though how you have team mates, but that's the one guy you're expected to beat???  So are you really teammates?  Seems like automatic drama.  If you're team mates, your supposed to help each other, not make sure your teammate doesn't beat you as Job #1.  If they could have 2 races in the US it would help their popularity here.  It's way HUGE oversees!

Indy car is "disjointed" to me and hard to follow.  I watch it some but it is my least favorite of all the racing series but I do enjoy the street racing aspect of it. 

The more you get into NASCAR the more exciting it is at all times.  I actually miss all the practice and qualifying this year.  I normally have two televisions on most of the day in addition to being on my computer working so I need a lot of content in my life.  I learn a lot during those practice sessions because the commentators deep dive more and it is very educational beyond NASCAR.

F1 is amazing!  I agree the only real knock on it is Mercedes mostly dominates with the exception of Max Verstappen of Red Bull.  I will say after Mercedes the pack has really tightened up with the exception of Williams and Haas so the mid pack racing has been really good this year.  Finally, the way F1 is set up with teammates and constructors is unique and sometimes the teammates are not really teammates when you get down to it but other times they do help each other out to the benefit of the team or individual drivers.  The other thing I like about F1 is other than the race at COTA each year it really doesn't have anything to do with America and as much as I hate to say it that is refreshing. 

13 minutes ago, theguru said:

Indy car is "disjointed" to me and hard to follow.  I watch it some but it is my least favorite of all the racing series but I do enjoy the street racing aspect of it. 

The more you get into NASCAR the more exciting it is at all times.  I actually miss all the practice and qualifying this year.  I normally have two televisions on most of the day in addition to being on my computer working so I need a lot of content in my life.  I learn a lot during those practice sessions because the commentators deep dive more and it is very educational beyond NASCAR.

F1 is amazing!  I agree the only real knock on it is Mercedes mostly dominates with the exception of Max Verstappen of Red Bull.  I will say after Mercedes the pack has really tightened up with the exception of Williams and Haas so the mid pack racing has been really good this year.  Finally, the way F1 is set up with teammates and constructors is unique and sometimes the teammates are not really teammates when you get down to it but other times they do help each other out to the benefit of the team or individual drivers.  The other thing I like about F1 is other than the race at COTA each year it really doesn't have anything to do with America and as much as I hate to say it that is refreshing. 

Indy Car is disjointed.  Honestly, I only really pick it back up in May, when the Indy 500 comes around or when I'm flippin channels.  

If Nascar would use some of the smaller tracks, maybe divide the field in half go to Louden and half to Bristol and reverse the next weekend that would add some zip!  Two weekends a year at Atlanta does nothing for me.  I understand you have to pay for things, but I don't watch when they go there.  Also starting a changing of the guard with the Drivers.  I haven't hooked onto one of the new guys yet and I think that's part of my issue.

You're right the Mid-pack is really fun to watch.  When Sergio Perez was actually leading the race last week was exciting.  That is refreshing about low to no America influence, but F1 "may" seek that to get more market share and moola.  They also need for Ferrari to come back strong.  I like Charles LeClerc and he has done awesome this year with a poor car (compared to Mercedes and Red Bull).  Should be good race on Sunday.

2 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

Indy Car is disjointed.  Honestly, I only really pick it back up in May, when the Indy 500 comes around or when I'm flippin channels.  

If Nascar would use some of the smaller tracks, maybe divide the field in half go to Louden and half to Bristol and reverse the next weekend that would add some zip!  Two weekends a year at Atlanta does nothing for me.  I understand you have to pay for things, but I don't watch when they go there.  Also starting a changing of the guard with the Drivers.  I haven't hooked onto one of the new guys yet and I think that's part of my issue.

You're right the Mid-pack is really fun to watch.  When Sergio Perez was actually leading the race last week was exciting.  That is refreshing about low to no America influence, but F1 "may" seek that to get more market share and moola.  They also need for Ferrari to come back strong.  I like Charles LeClerc and he has done awesome this year with a poor car (compared to Mercedes and Red Bull).  Should be good race on Sunday.

We agree on Indycar.

NASCAR is going to more road races next year which I love.  Honestly I am fine with Atlanta twice just like Talladega and Daytona.  My only real beef with NASCAR is the cars are not even close to equal.  There are way too many "dogs" in each race that have no chance to win under any circumstance.  Hopefully as technology improves the gap will close.  Also, there is a good amount of driver movement next year and I think that is good for NASCAR but again I hate to see any driver in inferior equipment. 

Pérez is 6th in points and anytime anyone other than Hamilton is in the lead is exciting.  I am not anti-Hamilton but he dominates on a level that is hard to fathom. I like Leclerc too and in part because I have never been a big Vettel guy so it tickles me just a little with Leclerc consistently outperforming Vettel in the same equipment.  And yeah the Ferraris are no where near what they have been.  I don't know the complete answer there but I believe F1 made a change to the rules that directly affected the Ferraris more than the other constructors. 

Italy this week!

https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2020/EmiliaRomagna.html

Also, I know this is totally random, but I like the way the Renaults sound when the engine is accelerating. 

25 minutes ago, theguru said:

We agree on Indycar.

NASCAR is going to more road races next year which I love.  Honestly I am fine with Atlanta twice just like Talladega and Daytona.  My only real beef with NASCAR is the cars are not even close to equal.  There are way too many "dogs" in each race that have no chance to win under any circumstance.  Hopefully as technology improves the gap will close.  Also, there is a good amount of driver movement next year and I think that is good for NASCAR but again I hate to see any driver in inferior equipment. 

Pérez is 6th in points and anytime anyone other than Hamilton is in the lead is exciting.  I am not anti-Hamilton but he dominates on a level that is hard to fathom. I like Leclerc too and in part because I have never been a big Vettel guy so it tickles me just a little with Leclerc consistently outperforming Vettel in the same equipment.  And yeah the Ferraris are no where near what they have been.  I don't know the complete answer there but I believe F1 made a change to the rules that directly affected the Ferraris more than the other constructors. 

Italy this week!

https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2020/EmiliaRomagna.html

Also, I know this is totally random, but I like the way the Renaults sound when the engine is accelerating. 

I hadn't thought about NASCAR like that, but you're right MANY DOGS!  I think the top teams like it that way, but that hurts the sport.  Will be interesting to see how the next Tech Wave effects NASCAR.

I have to go to a lacrosse tourney this weekend so I have to DVR the race, but looking forward to it.  I like Renault as well.  I think Daniel Riccardo is very underrated.  So many good storylines in F1.  Agree on Hamilton.  Don't hate him, but he makes it all look so easy (when it clearly isn't) (and Bottas has to hate him - right); he's the most boring of the whole think which is kinda crazy as good as he is and he could be the all time best!  Love when Leclerc sticks it to Vettel.  Will be even better next year, but Racing Point is pretty strong too. Ferreri did get a rule change that took all their straight line speed away and it's crushed them this year, except Leclerc still keeps hanging around and got a podium this year! 

It is also funny to me how the Big Teams (Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferreri) have their Little Teams too (Racing Point, Alpha Tauri, and Hass, respectively).  Almost like your minor league team playing in the same game as the major league team!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

I hadn't thought about NASCAR like that, but you're right MANY DOGS!  I think the top teams like it that way, but that hurts the sport.  Will be interesting to see how the next Tech Wave effects NASCAR.

I have to go to a lacrosse tourney this weekend so I have to DVR the race, but looking forward to it.  I like Renault as well.  I think Daniel Riccardo is very underrated.  So many good storylines in F1.  Agree on Hamilton.  Don't hate him, but he makes it all look so easy (when it clearly isn't) (and Bottas has to hate him - right); he's the most boring of the whole think which is kinda crazy as good as he is and he could be the all time best!  Love when Leclerc sticks it to Vettel.  Will be even better next year, but Racing Point is pretty strong too. Ferreri did get a rule change that took all their straight line speed away and it's crushed them this year, except Leclerc still keeps hanging around and got a podium this year! 

It is also funny to me how the Big Teams (Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferreri) have their Little Teams too (Racing Point, Alpha Tauri, and Hass, respectively).  Almost like your minor league team playing in the same game as the major league team!

I am very impressed with your knowledge here but I am not surprised.

I am with you on everything and Riccardo is one of my favorite drivers.  And Bottas, I know right!

• Like 1