TheDeuce

BluegrassPreps Class 5A Football Rankings (9/21) - Discussion

Class 5A

We appear to be in the midst of a game of hot potato with the top ranking in 5A. For the third week in a row, we have a new #1, following another too-close-for-comfort win by Covington Catholic. Beechwood made the Colonels and their fans uncomfortable right up until Caleb Jacob picked up a victory sealing first down on a keeper. A rose by any other name is still a rose, but the scent from this win wasn't pleasant enough for the Colonels to hang on at the top for another week. As of right now, CovCath isn't anywhere near their level of the previous three years.

With Covington Catholic struggling to impress for a second straight week, the door was left open for Bowling Green to leave its mark on voters. They didn't exactly kick that door in with authority, but a second consecutive triumphant road trip to Louisville combined with what unfolded in Park Hills was enough to earn the Purples a return to the spot they held almost continuously from 2011-2016.

The turnover bug and a stubborn Daviess County squad pushed Owensboro to the brink, but the Red Devils were able to fend off the Panthers behind the arm and legs of Gavin Wimsatt. Through two games, the offense has proven itself dynamic, but this is clearly not the stifling defense of a year ago.

On the reservation, Southwestern scored one of the class' biggest wins of Week 2, with a two point edging of GRC, ranked #10 in 6A at the time. A win over a very solid Knox Central side this week could set the stage for a memorable run through the regular season for the Warriors.

The Dragons of South Oldham proved that, despite heavy graduation losses, they still have some fire in their belly by downing Oldham County for the tenth straight time. Meanwhile, a threat to their district supremacy continues to rise in the North (Bullitt). The Eagles have rolled through two games, but now face a titanic test of their mettle when Manual pays a visit this Friday.

Highlands clings to the back end of the Top 10 by the slimmest of margins after the youthful legs of sophomore quarterback Charlie Noon helped spur a Highlands comeback against Ryle. Will the youth movement continue with Boyle County waiting in the wings?

1. Bowling Green -- OPEN

2. Covington Catholic at Cooper 

3. Frederick Douglass at #6 Scott County 

4. Owensboro vs. Ohio County 

5. South Warren vs. 3A #9 Glasgow 

6. Scott County vs. #3 Frederick Douglass 

7. Southwestern vs. 4A #9 Knox Central 

8. South Oldham at Jeffersontown 

9. North Bullitt vs. 6A #4 Manual

10. Highlands vs. 4A #2 Boyle County

• Like 2

Good stuff @TheDeuce.  Owensboro is having to replace it’s entire D-line from last year.  They didn’t use much of a rotation against DC that I saw and they have 2-3 outstanding linemen that weren’t used that much.  Not getting pressure allowed DC QB to have a great day.  I expect OHS to work through what will be a dominating defensive line rotation in a couple more games.  They have some outstanding athletes on that side of the ball, it’s just piecing together who fits where.  I’ve been super impressed with Sophomores Goodwin (LB) and Hines (DE), although I think the 6-3 Sophomore Miller (DE) wasn’t used at all vs DC.  He is fast and strong and a game changer.  I look for Miller and Green to be used more rotating on the Defensive line to bring more explosiveness that OHS is used to.  The main 4-man rotation last year were all seniors and that’s why they were dominating (Cox, Skortz, Greathouse and Sales).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Credit goes to @DevilMayCare, I just post them. 👍🏽

Thanks, man.

As long as the content is half way decent and folks seem agreeable with it, I'll accept the credit. But if it's just bad writing and people have gripes with it, I'll just lay it on you. 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Is anyone else beginning to have a few doubts about Cov Catholic. Don’t get me wrong I think they’re really good and probably will still be in it for a title hunt but I don’t think they’re as good as they have been the past 4 or 5 years.

Nice job .@TheDeuce CovCath could be #1, but right now are self-destructing in games with over 100 yards in penalties last week, where you could put them in the back half of the top 10. I think the next few weeks will be telling.

4 hours ago, Tkinslow said:

Is anyone else beginning to have a few doubts about Cov Catholic. Don’t get me wrong I think they’re really good and probably will still be in it for a title hunt but I don’t think they’re as good as they have been the past 4 or 5 years.

Being very close to the program, I am not concerned...I am disappointed. They are definitely not as talented this year as the last several,  and may lose a game in the regular season that they shouldn't, but the coaching staff will have them ready to go come November.