Football Fix Suggestion - What say you, what did miss?

Really tired of all this “Sky is falling on football” talk from a lot of people.  And with the recent announcement of Virginia cancelling HS Football this season, I can’t stay silent anymore. My Suggestion is below. What is wrong with this plan, what am I missing?:

-To play, you must have a face shield installed on helmet. Similar to the one Oakley designed for the NFL. Mask, CHECK. 

-All players wear gloves. Contact, CHECK.

-Ball switched out every play and cleaned. Common object contact, CHECK. 

-Limit travel and cancel out of state/region competition (as already being discussed).  Spread/exposure factor, CHECK  

What else is a factor to warrant cancellation of another season for KIDS. Sport is played outdoors, which is an automatic CHECK in most everything read or reported.  Time for people to speak up advocating to play.  We can’t stay silent. We need to let everyone know that we WANT the kids to suffer no more.

Here is link to Virginia source.....

https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/high-school-football-wont-be-played-this-fall-in-virginia/article_4764177a-c69c-11ea-9116-3729f709d286.html

• Like 3

I think those are all great ideas. 

One more thing I would add, that I'm pretty sure Julian Tackett mentioned in the last KHSAA meeting, is extending the box on the sidelines to the 10 yard line each way. That allows for 30 more yards on each sideline to distance players when they aren't on the field. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

I think those are all great ideas. 

One more thing I would add, that I'm pretty sure Julian Tackett mentioned in the last KHSAA meeting, is extending the box on the sidelines to the 10 yard line each way. That allows for 30 more yards on each sideline to distance players when they aren't on the field. 

Great callout. And by doing that, you could keep kids in position groups With their position coach. Of course you have some that play multiple positions/both ways, but overall football by its nature provides a unique opportunity for distancing that other sports do not. Ultimately I’m just saying this is controllable IMO.  Focus should be shifted to sports where contact happens without gear being worn. JMO. 

4 hours ago, LoudenSwain said:

Really tired of all this “Sky is falling on football” talk from a lot of people.  And with the recent announcement of Virginia cancelling HS Football this season, I can’t stay silent anymore. My Suggestion is below. What is wrong with this plan, what am I missing?:

-To play, you must have a face shield installed on helmet. Similar to the one Oakley designed for the NFL. Mask, CHECK. 

-All players wear gloves. Contact, CHECK.

-Ball switched out every play and cleaned. Common object contact, CHECK. 

-Limit travel and cancel out of state/region competition (as already being discussed).  Spread/exposure factor, CHECK  

What else is a factor to warrant cancellation of another season for KIDS. Sport is played outdoors, which is an automatic CHECK in most everything read or reported.  Time for people to speak up advocating to play.  We can’t stay silent. We need to let everyone know that we WANT the kids to suffer no more.

Here is link to Virginia source.....

https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/high-school-football-wont-be-played-this-fall-in-virginia/article_4764177a-c69c-11ea-9116-3729f709d286.html

All good points, and probably necessary should football be allowed to play this season.  Still have to deal with cost issues for masks and gloves...it's going to require money, and fundraising, concessions and gate revenue is going to be an issue. There will be districts and schools that financially won't be able to do it.

• Like 1

The face shields haven’t been extensively tested yet. If any of you have any experience with players wearing visors you know how much of a pain they are. The amount of heat and condensation that gets trapped in there is ridiculous. To outfit everyone with gloves and shields would take easily at least 1200.00. That is a big hit for a number of programs.