Open Job: Oneida Baptist Institute

OBI is a difficult place to build team continuity in their programs because they never know from one year to the next who will be on campus playing sports for the school. They are a parochial school with dorms and many of their teams have a different look every year.

I know one thing though, if the school wanted to they could build a basketball powerhouse. The way their school is set up with on campus dorms and all they could be a mini version of Oak Hill Academy if they so chose, and had a coach with free reign to ‘entice‘ skilled players to come there. And I believe it would all be within KSHAA rules and regulations.

OBI is a difficult place to build team continuity in their programs because they never know from one year to the next who will be on campus playing sports for the school. They are a parochial school with dorms and many of their teams have a different look every year.

I know one thing though, if the school wanted to they could build a basketball powerhouse. The way their school is set up with on campus dorms and all they could be a mini version of Oak Hill Academy if they so chose, and had a coach with free reign to ‘entice‘ skilled players to come there. And I believe it would all be within KSHAA rules and regulations.

Cordia already tried it.

Becoming another Oak Hill is hard with KHSAA enrollment and transfer criteria. Mainly the parents having to change jobs or buy a new house (monthly leases don't count) and give up all ties to former residence.

• Like 1

Cordia already tried it.

Becoming another Oak Hill is hard with KHSAA enrollment and transfer criteria. Mainly the parents having to change jobs or buy a new house (monthly leases don't count) and give up all ties to former residence.

Cordia is not the same type of school as Oneida Baptist. Cordia is part of the Knott County school district. OBI is a private religious based school and has dorms on their campus. I think over half of their students, probably more, are form outside Clay County. Many are international students.

Cordia is not the same type of school as Oneida Baptist. Cordia is part of the Knott County school district. OBI is a private religious based school and has dorms on their campus. I think over half of their students, probably more, are form outside Clay County. Many are international students.

Doesn't matter.

Kids can go to school there if they want.

If basketball kids start transferring in and their parents aren't buying new houses (cutting ties to old location completely) or not getting jobs in the Knott County area, red flags are gonna go up.

Dorms don't make a darn bit of difference.

It's where the parents and family live and where the parents work in order to drop the transfer sitout rule.

Doesn't matter.

Kids can go to school there if they want.

If basketball kids start transferring in and their parents aren't buying new houses (cutting ties to old location completely) or not getting jobs in the Knott County area, red flags are gonna go up.

Dorms don't make a darn bit of difference.

It's where the parents and family live and where the parents work in order to drop the transfer sitout rule.

I’m not 100% on the issue but I’m fairly certain that OBI has numerous kids playing in various sports every year who stay in the dorms and their parents do not live in Clay County or the Oneida area. They have a lot of foreign students. We played their golf team one year and they had students on their team from Mongolia, Vietnam and China. Now, I’m not sure about students who have played a sport at their previous school but I’m sure if it’s a court endorsed transfer that those students would get a waiver to play sports at OBI. I know in the past they’ve had some darn good basketball players that had played at other schools and transferred to OBI to stay on campus and were ruled eligible to play, and no parents moved to Oneida with them.

Foreign exchange is excluded from the parental move.

Getting basketball players from all over America and multi-year players from Africa (instead of single-season, like foreign exchange) is different though.

Louisville Holy Cross has dorms.

The players at Aspire attend Holy Cross and play for Aspire.

They would never be eligible at Holy Cross.

Foreign exchange is excluded from the parental move.

Getting basketball players from all over America and multi-year players from Africa (instead of single-season, like foreign exchange) is different though.

Louisville Holy Cross has dorms.

The players at Aspire attend Holy Cross and play for Aspire.

They would never be eligible at Holy Cross.

I understand what you’re saying. What I was wondering about was whether if it’s a court procedure placing the students at OBI. I believe they quite often have those situations with some of their students. Would that make a difference in getting a waiver to play?

• 5 months later...

OBI is currently looking for a head basketball coach for next year. AD Larry Gritton posted a job listing for a boys head coach for the 2021-22 school year on the KHSAA Open Jobs page yesterday.

The school does not currently have a boys coach listed on their KHSAA directory page, and they are yet to file a roster with the KHSAA. Any word on whether or not there will be a Mountaineers boys basketball team this year?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 4:19 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

The school does not currently have a boys coach listed on their KHSAA directory page, and they are yet to file a roster with the KHSAA. Any word on whether or not there will be a Mountaineers boys basketball team this year?

I can't find the article but Oneida Baptist postponed their season back in the fall. With much of their enrollment "boarding school" students there aren't many kids actually on campus. The article said if they could get their kids back they would try to play an abbreviated schedule but it didn't seem likely. They do have every intention of returning to play in 2021-22.